Opinion needed 78 starcraft 18ss - gut check

Spartans

Seaman
Ok. Here it goes. Looking at a 78 Starcraft 18ss. Interior is all original and shows it’s age. Floor is a little soft in spots so likely needs replacing. Has a good trailer and hull is good

problem is that it’s a stringer drive which would require a repower and a rebuild of the stringers at the back. I can weld a patch over the hole and redo. I’m assuming the transom is toast

I know this would be a project boat and $$ spent would obviously be more than it’s worth but it wouldn’t be to flip that’s for sure - more of a hobby I guess

what do you guys think ? Knowing that it needs all this work. (and likely more when you start pulling Things apart). Is it a worthy pursuit? Any idea what the value of it would even be?

thanks in advance if I’m nuts let me know....

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a project, so only you can determine
worth it?

Boat value is tied to location and availabilty, what that boat would sell for as is near me is probably different then what as is would sell for in Michigan.....

Swap to outboard or re-cut transom keyhole to fit mercruiser?

Look thru some SC restos, its all been done before...

Spartans

Seaman
Understood. I would recut hole and do a mercruiser.

Kinda of a silly question but I figured I’d ask anyways. Pretty boat but a lot of work

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if the stringer is working, I would keep it until it died. most likely its a 3.0

Decker83

Commander
:welcome: aboard..
I haven't posted on my 77 SS in a while. I have done exactly what you or asking about..
I am way behind on my posting but I'm close to installing the merc 3.0l back in the boat.
I was not to concerned about the cost as much as if I could do it...
Good luck..

Spartans

Seaman
Yeah. Big dilemma - I’m still on the fence. Might go back for a second look
I think it’s a 2.5 L. The transom hole really isn’t the issue for me - it’s the reframing to support a new power plant and then new controls etc.if I don’t want to continue using the stringer.

Owner says everything ok but I know better just like “it ran when I put it away last year...”

might be tempted to throw a low number at it and see what happens

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure about MI, but here SC are a "dime a dozen", I'd wait for the one in the best condition I could find.
FWIW, just last summer I passed on a nice '79 SS18 V5 for short money. Just decided it wasn't the project I wanted. But it was a great boat.

Spartans

Seaman
DLNorth Agreed. I should really open my range a little farther out and see in the spring and not try to fit a square peg in a round hole per say. I need to work on the kingfisher anyways

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My advice is to hold off and get what you want, if you want a stern drive be sure to get a MC. I drove from WA State to Montana - Alberta border to pick up my 18' V5 SS. Love boat buying road trips so much I did it again last spring for a 22' V5 Islander.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Good call. Around here the old I/O boats go for much less than the OBs. If you want an I/O I'd think you'd have no trouble getting a good deal on the one you want, especially this time if year. The hard part is waiting for it to pop up for sale. Expanding your search area does help your odds as others have suggested. Good luck!