1970 Starcraft chieftain restore

Star01

Seaman
1970 chieftain restoration

Hello. New member. Been reading forums here. So much info. I bought a 1970 Starcraft chieftain 21’ 120 mercruser. I fell in love with this boat. I want to restore it. It’s in decent shape. Seems to run good. With muffs on. Someone did a lot of interior work to it. But not restored. Be honest I don’t know where to start. It’s a beauty or will be. Will be doing most of work on my own. Looking for anyone who restores aluminum boats like this to head me in the right direction. I’ll post photos when I know how. Thanks in advance.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Star.

Click on Forum Help in my sig and look at the How To about attaching pics your posts.

Hoping to see your Chieftain soon.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Good advise above. Go to that StarCraft rebuild forum and read each and every post on rebuilds from start to finish, everything.

Never fall in love with a boat. You can't divorce it, she will be a love hate relationship, that I guarantee. This new love of yours will cost you more than getting divorced from a Woman, multiple times. Take a deep breath and start reading.

Star01

Seaman
Taking your advice. Read read read. Still gonna restore it. Hope to post pics soon. Thanks for the warning though.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Wheres home?There was a nice 21 plus chieftain around my area for sale for under 2 grand cnd with a chev straight 6 .Have not seen it for sale for a while so I suppose somebody snapped her up.I see a top tier Stanley has showed up just up te road from me,drool drool.

Star01

Seaman
Would like to do a complete restoration. Will be asking for advice. Today find out if bad fuel pump. Or carb. Or just air leak. Want it running well before I tear it apart. Lot of work. But should do me well for Lake Ontario boat

Bondo

Staff member
But should do me well for Lake Ontario boat

Ayuh,....... Welcome Aboard,..... Only if you like to be beaten silly,.....

I ran a 221 Islander for 20 years up here,.... The bottom is to flat to cut the waves,.....
If I didn't run out onto the lake very early mornin', it took forever to get there once the breeze picked up,....
Bein' on the northeast corner, I'm always runnin' into a headwind,....

Shoulda gone to a deep-V glass boat 19 years ago,.....

Star01

Seaman
Prolly should have gone glass. But I’m a tin guy. Love em. But I’ve been running out to Stoney and little galloo with my 16’ javelin bass boat. Caught couple times coming back in 4-5 footers. Pay attention to the wind for sure out there. Still prolly get wet but I’ll feel better. She’s still not for 4-6’. Got fuel to carb now. Going to clean carb see what happens,

Star01

Seaman
Tear floor out check foam sure I’ll replace. But does anyone have a suggestion on sealing the bottom after that. I’ll steam clean. But want to seal bottom. Seams and rivetts? Thank you.

Star01

Seaman
Hello group. Would anyone have a pic of the stern engine cover and seating. Or any ideas as my boat has nothing over the engine

matt167

Captain
The original engine cover would have been just a box that flips forward on a hinge. it had a curve on the very front of the top for aesthetics. The seats that were back there, were about the most basic thing you could call a jump seat. Aluminum frame, plywood seat, some padding and then good old pee yellow Starcraft vinyl.. I think I still have one seat from my dads old boat in storage somewhere. We had removed them for fishing.

Star01

Seaman
Thanks Matt167. Funny you say that. There are two aluminum frames set with old rotted plywood in boat. Previous fella put new floor in and thin carpet but very soft where he ran seams 4’ apart. And its standard plywood. He used 3/4 plywood painted gray everywhere. All rippled up. Tearing it all out. Not sure what to replace with. Floor 5/8 marine I think. Walls and cuddly walls a veneer on both sides clear sealed. Not sure yet. I’m going to post pics while I tear it out and rebuild. I do like the looks and size of this boat though. I’ll keep looking around for more ideas.