1968 StarCraft Holiday restoration

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Looking good!! Like the dash you put together. Nothing like having everything at your fingertips.

+1 for Nautolex if your willing to spend the money.

SHSU

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Marine ply here is more like 50-80ish so much more manageable. I agree with you on the speedo (More of a potential small leak than a useful instrument for pressure-type. I could see adding a paddle-wheel type if I needed accurate speed through water measurement for trolling or something). I'm electing to go more heavily "modern" in my build and am actually going all-electronic in my dash.

I haven't posted it here yet, but I'm midway through installing a marine vinyl (Nautolex) floor with closed-cell marine carpet pad underlay. It's really nice on bare feet, without the absorbent drawbacks of carpet. I don't have any long-term feedback, but highly recommend some sort of padding if you want bare-foot comfort (even with carpet). I think the padding was a quarter boat unit or so. I feel like this is going to be both comfortable and maintenance-friendly.

Thanks for the info, I didn't realize there were carpet pads for marine purposes. I'll have to look into it.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyone have suggestions on a good quality cover that will fit my 18' Holiday? Ill be putting the boat back on the trailer soon and will no longer fit in the garage.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Our forum host sells boat covers so I won't tell you to go elsewhere but I have found Vortex heavy duty covers to be very well made. Search - VORTEX HEAVY DUTY FISHING/SKI/RUNABOUT/BOAT COVER 17' - 19' BLUE

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Our forum host sells boat covers so I won't tell you to go elsewhere but I have found Vortex heavy duty covers to be very well made. Search - VORTEX HEAVY DUTY FISHING/SKI/RUNABOUT/BOAT COVER 17' - 19' BLUE

Thanks, I have already placed an order for another brand. I guess Ill see how it goes. I can always get a different one down the road if needed.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ordered new vinyl for the side panels, first time doing anything with fabric but I am happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• photo337332.jpg
    photo337332.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 20
  • photo337333.jpg
    photo337333.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 20
  • photo337334.jpg
    photo337334.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 20
  • photo337335.jpg
    photo337335.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 20

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the port side panel installed and working on the starboard side. Had to modify this panel because of the newer style control that mounts flush. The original controls bolted to the outside.

Attachments

• photo337336.jpg
    photo337336.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 29
  • photo337337.jpg
    photo337337.jpg
    438.9 KB · Views: 29

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Man, I can't explain how good it felt to get the windshield mounted back on her. Its been so long, I almost forgot what it looked like. Also was tweaking the dash panels. I think I removed and reinstalled them 30 times before I had them perfect.

Attachments

• photo337338.jpg
    photo337338.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 30
  • photo337339.jpg
    photo337339.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 30

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I spent way more time than I would like to admit on these new dash panels but I am really happy with how they are turning out. I made a last minute decision to reinforce the back of each with glass. hopefully this will eliminate the possibility of them cracking due to all of the cutouts. They are now sanded, prepped and ready for dye and many coats of varnish.

Attachments

• photo337340.jpg
    photo337340.jpg
    590.4 KB · Views: 17
  • photo337341.jpg
    photo337341.jpg
    526.9 KB · Views: 17
  • photo337342.jpg
    photo337342.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 17

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
You're moving along at a clip jdv!

I know what you mean about the windshield mounting...almost like the point where the boat gets its soul.

Dash pieces look phenomenal! :thumb:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice work! :thumb:

One thing I did on my SS was fabricate an AL brace that bolts to the rotary helm and attaches to the front panel of the console as that is where the helms dash panel receives all the stress. Maybe something like that on your Holly would be of help.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Looking really good!!

Echoing with Watermann sentiment on additional support for the helm. I added a second sheet on the back for extra thickness. Even then, still added a brace that runs from the panel to the back wall.

Is the fiberglass for waterproofing or trying to make structural?

SHSU

Bills Holiday

Recruit
Yes... Phenomenal wood work!

.. and fortuitous for me! I just got the last of the wood out of my '67 Holiday and getting ready to start the rebuild. There wasn't much left of the wood.. just a rotten portion of the dash (just enough for a template, I hope!), a couple rotten floor boards and not enough transom left for a template. The only wood that remains is framing for the fore-deck.I haven't looked much at the gunnels, but they are solid and I''m leaving them as-is.

Those Starcraft restoration purists should however look away as I have no intent of returning her interior to anything resembling her original state. She's so cute on the outside/profile I have decided to maintain her outward appearance, ( We got 2 compliments on her on our way home with her!). We have just restored a '64 Yellowstone cab-over camper (she is the 2nd cutest camper in the country! ;) ) and they will make quite a pair together!

My intent is to build out the interior in a typical center console layout, with a small console and forward seating as opposed to fishing deck behind the windshield and open fishing deck aft.

The old 130hp Iron Duke/Mercruiser is gone and I'm going with a bracket and have picked up a '74 JohnRude 135 with good bones, for power. (That's of course a separate project in itself!)

Thanks for posting all these great photos! I understand what a chore it must be to keep up with and take the time to narrate and post them up. They have already helped immensely!

.... Not to mention the quality of work is downright inspiring!

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice work! :thumb:

One thing I did on my SS was fabricate an AL brace that bolts to the rotary helm and attaches to the front panel of the console as that is where the helms dash panel receives all the stress. Maybe something like that on your Holly would be of help.

That's a great idea, and just in time. Ill have to fab something up while its still accessible.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking really good!!

Echoing with Watermann sentiment on additional support for the helm. I added a second sheet on the back for extra thickness. Even then, still added a brace that runs from the panel to the back wall.

Is the fiberglass for waterproofing or trying to make structural?

SHSU

the fiberglass was for structural support. especially on the dash side. I know that bottom piece would eventually develop a crack if not worse.

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last night I started the finishing process with the first layer of dye.

Attachments

• photo337420.jpg
    photo337420.jpg
    660 KB · Views: 12

jdvasher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Once all of the pieces were covered and allowed to dry, I spent some time sanding back areas to bring out the dimension of the grain

Attachments

• photo337421.jpg
    photo337421.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 18
  • photo337422.jpg
    photo337422.jpg
    608.5 KB · Views: 18
  • photo337423.jpg
    photo337423.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 18