NOOB - 1st time boat buyer - looking at Starcraft aluminum open bows

jrrjr71

Recruit
I'm a complete boat noob, but a quick learner with some moderate mechanical skills. My kids are harassing me about fresh water fishing and I'm not much on shore fishing - so here I am. I've spent a week scouring CL and forums, including this fine one, trying to decide what I should be looking for within a self-imposed $1500 initial budget. Inland lakes in MI only - cruising, fishing and maybe pulling a tube.

So far, i'm steering towards these reqs:
16-18' aluminum V open bow - most likely an outboard model

Seems like a 70s Starcraft will fit the bill. Aluminum over fiber as it seems they are lighter, won't have rotten wooden stringers, and I just like the look of them. I'm still unsure OB is the way to go. But for a beginner, seems like it might be easier.

I have a 18' I'm going to look at tonight - good running 140 merc ob, transom looks ok, floors look ok. It's a runner for $1500. Trailer is probably the weakest part of the pkg. But won't really know until I go look at it.

Is there any place where all the different models are listed? I think a lot of these I'm looking at are SS, but owners don't seem to know for sure the exact models.

Was wondering if anyone could give me the quick run-down on what I should look for/stay away from with these boats, to avoid a 1st boat fiasco.

Thanks in advance,

JR
Grand Rapids, MI

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was asking the same questions as you are about a year ago. Below is a link to my thread and a list of some important things to check out on any Starcraft you look at. This is not a complete list. I think the only open bow Starcraft model was the SuperSport. Good luck tonite and let us know how it goes!

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...-where-to-find

Rotten floor
Rotten transom
Loose/missing/leaking rivets
Pitting/corrosion of aluminum
Engine compression
Upholstery and canvas condition
Hull cracks near ends of ribs

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Lots of 16'rs out there that are less expensive than the 18'rs with larger motors. An 18'r with at least a 90 HP motor and a 16'r with a 70 would be boats to look into. If guys know nothing about a boat then assume it's also been neglected and will need work.

A bad trailer is also a prerequisite for a 70s SC boat :lol:

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
What the guys above said.

I’ll chip in that just north of the border from you, the OB SS’s fetch premium prices. The 18’ IB’s are usually much cheaper. If the market in MI is like Ontario, be patient and selective. I HAD to have mine and should have waited for a much better boat to come along. And I’ve seen at least a dozen super deals come and go since.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yea I've noticed the same thing in my area - OB boats are worth more than I/O. There are also many more 16 footers available than 18 - I think the factory made/sold less of the 18's when they were in production. If you're looking specifically for an 18, keep that in mind as they don't pop up for sale as often. In MI there are a lot of Starcrafts available tho, so probably less of an issue than out here in WA.