Early Starcraft Super Sport dashboard ideas?

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Has anyone here customize their early Starcraft SS dashes? I like the pebbled disco era dash laminations and want to keep it.

I’d like to do a nice gauge cluster in the dash itself leaving room above for a nice fish finder. (as opposed to a gauge cluster sitting on top of the dashboard)

Theres not much real estate available in around the steering. I’d like to have a speedo, tach and lighting control panel. I’ll probably put the tilt toggle on a drop down bracket because I may move up to a newer OMC with tilt.

im also planning on turning the other side into a glovebox.

Anyone got pix of their custom or modified dashes?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I mounted the depth finder on the nav side on my SS, mainly due to my V5 style helm gauge panel. But that would allow for you to have a top helm cluster.

y4meRaVcf4TEFX63RjMQw4yGj1TJKKZFFwl27dLe2z2v7H8QqAcUf5559_UCF53j1ddTgcPg6M_hkJrUf2cIFNw4rHd-Fy-8SvLcAaI4tRG46ttvvc8xW7xzlgF1IJeVJxsAJ9u3pOeKP_-LWJYoJhdNpRzTRZj1Mu4Z__Oa5z2i_Yi80YbWUTNHeyD3pCoGG1tw_oEMdxpUhLbO0HRZqp4ew

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you for posting. Love the steering wheel. Mine looks like it came out of a 1976 Volvo...Uggglee

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
@Watermann, did this helm cluster assembly come from the factory or did you add it?
I’ve got my interior stripped out, need to source my wiring and gauge goodies very soon

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you could go with a NMEA 2000 engine gateway and a large 9" depth/sonar/plotter unit and just use the display as the gauges.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
you could go with a NMEA 2000 engine gateway and a large 9" depth/sonar/plotter unit and just use the display as the gauges.
Thanks. I picked up a Helix 7 this year. I could use it for speed and a tach but I do like classic gauges also.

even without those, the real estate on the original dash is pretty small for all the toggle controls I’d like to add. I’d also like digital volt meters too for the battery systems

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
DSC04326.JPG

Here is what I did. I agree, not a lot of room and pretty tight. I added additional bracing in the back as so much wood had to be cut out for all the gauges and switches.

Gauges:
Tach
Fuel Gauge
Temp Gauge

Switches:
Nav Lights
House Lights
Flood Lights
Livewell Lights
Gauge Lights
Bilge Pump
Starboard Livewell Pump
Port Livewell Pump
Aerator
Bilge

Extra:
Volt Meter with live AMP consumption
2 USB ports for recharging

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
View attachment 330885

Here is what I did. I agree, not a lot of room and pretty tight. I added additional bracing in the back as so much wood had to be cut out for all the gauges and switches.

Gauges:
Tach
Fuel Gauge
Temp Gauge

Switches:
Nav Lights
House Lights
Flood Lights
Livewell Lights
Gauge Lights
Bilge Pump
Starboard Livewell Pump
Port Livewell Pump
Aerator
Bilge

Extra:

SHSU
looks great, what did you do with the other side? I was thinking of making it fold down to expose a glove box. or perhaps a cubby with a VHF(?) radio and USB ports inside for charging phones out of the elements.
I just might use my helix for rpm and speed and skip the gauges. I like the flat top dash and use it for laying small items.
Ive been looking at Sea-Dog toggle panels without circuit breakers as I'm using a fuse block 1609175002123.png

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
View attachment 330885

Gauges:
Tach
Fuel Gauge
Temp Gauge

Switches:
Nav Lights
House Lights
Flood Lights
Livewell Lights
Gauge Lights
Bilge Pump
Starboard Livewell Pump
Port Livewell Pump
Aerator
Bilge

Extra:

SHSU
Is that a lift out casting platform?
your boat looks great!

SHSU

looks great, what did you do with the other side? I was thinking of making it fold down to expose a glove box. or perhaps a cubby with a VHF(?) radio and USB ports inside for charging phones out of the
I thought about doing something like that, but in the end decided against it. With how long cell phones last and wireless speakers with charging options it wasn't needed. As of now, the only time my cell dies is when I am using it for Navionics and forget to plug it into the one charger I have. Otherwise, no issues with the wife's phone playing Pandora and such through the wireless speaker.

Ive been looking at Sea-Dog toggle panels without circuit breakers as I'm using a fuse block
I thought about doing something like that too, but in the end decided to build my own. Cheaper, but main thing I was able to make it fit. For the number of switches I wanted, premade wasn't going to work. The only thing I have to figure out is labeling. I tried label tape but it has since been burned off by the sun. Buddy tells me vinyl or acid dip, just have to have the time to look into it.

Is that a lift out casting platform?
your boat looks great!
Thank you sir!!

Yep, admiral and I wanted to be able to remove for tubing at the lake. It has worked out really well for us.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Any chance you have pics of the support and securing clips (if any)?
this is part of what I intended also for the same reasons.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
@Watermann, did this helm cluster assembly come from the factory or did you add it?
I’ve got my interior stripped out, need to source my wiring and gauge goodies very soon
The V5 helm cluster is specific to that era from the factory. Some nice helm mods have been made on the SS model builds seen on @budski threads. He has a how too in there as well.

SHSU

Any chance you have pics of the support and securing clips (if any)?
this is part of what I intended also for the same reasons.

Not sure what you mean by clips. I blind riveted the console to the helm. As for extra support, I double layered the 3/4 to give me as much extra thickness as possible. I also added an aluminum bar but can't seem to find a picture.

DSC04186.JPG

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, sorry I meant the drop in casting/seat deck...looks clean.
how do you keep it from moving while sitting in the seat?

SHSU

Ah, I did a double layer of 3/4 with the underside just fitting between the built in. No clip needed. If anything you could say that the "cushions" we installed would keep it from jumping out. Never had an issue with it.

DSC04214.JPG

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Ah, I did a double layer of 3/4 with the underside just fitting between the built in. No clip needed. If anything you could say that the "cushions" we installed would keep it from jumping out. Never had an issue with it.

View attachment 331011

SHSU
Very nice, I never thought about it dropping on top. I had flush fit in mind but that looks very effective. Nice work, thanks for sharing the pic

SHSU

Very nice, I never thought about it dropping on top. I had flush fit in mind but that looks very effective. Nice work, thanks for sharing the pic
Ya, having it drop in from top provides a better force distribution. Its a push force into a solid structure. If you try to make it flush, the force would be pulling from underneath and isolated to the screws holding whatever mechanism you are using to support it.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Ya, having it drop in from top provides a better force distribution. Its a push force into a solid structure. If you try to make it flush, the force would be pulling from underneath and isolated to the screws holding whatever mechanism you are using to support it.

SHSU
I think you’re right. I was going to bring the 3 v seat hatches right out to the edge, but I think I will leave them back 1.5-2” so I can open them with the casting deck in place

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Good grief, what a fiasco this online shopping is!!! I’ve spent DAYS trying to find a whole pile of goodies only to find I’m facing “unknown brokerage feesand little support from the supplier.
So I started looking elsewhere and have scattered carts of a bit of this or that all over the place but I don’t trust the product. Amazon is also a real mix of good and bad, but also limited in product.

the best supplier with the best selection that can do the works appears to be a part time venture with little or no communication. Almost nobody seems to carry the sea-dog panels I want.

Bummer.

this boat will be done in 2024 I fear