So far so good with my 1988 Starcraft Islander 221v

lake_trout

Cadet
Hello everyone,

For the past year or so I've been looking for a 18-20 foot cuddy cabin to put on the great lakes and some of the bigger inland lakes here in mid-Michigan. So this past Feb I found a 1988 Starcraft Islander 221v on a shoreland'r trailer that was in pretty good shape, and hauled it home. The previous owner wasn't using it much, and wanted to clear out the space it was taking up in his barn. It really only needed some minor stuff to get it back on the water (like a rotten wood top on the engine cover, and a couple new tires for the trailer) but one thing led to another and I've spent the last few months working on it. Most of the work I've done on the trailer (repacked/replaced bearings, races, new brakes, a couple new lines, new tail lights, new actuator, so forth) so I can feel safe towing it long distances. Now I'm taking care of the odds and ends on the boat, and I hope to get it into the water soon. Here's a photo of the boat the day I brought it home. I'll post some more pics eventually as I get more done on it.

Attachments

• photo315453.jpg
    photo315453.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: to the Starmada and the forum lake trout

Nice looking Islander you found, she should serve you well :thumb:

fetch?photoid=10760485.jpg

Looks like it's an IO model, what motor?

lake_trout

Cadet
Thanks for the welcome guys.

Watermann - you are correct! It's got the 4.3 Mercruiser V6/AlphaOne outdrive setup.

ab59

Ensign
Ahhh Purdy. Welcome to the forum Lake Trout I sure do like the 1988 Starcraft Aluminum Style . Great find . It is my goal to own an 88 Islander as well somewhere down the line but something in the 19-20' range would be good for my purposes.
I'm sure you will find lots of help here as well as support . These guys really help you out when they can and it's always nice to have someone in your corner if you get discouraged when your repairs go haywire now and then.
Good times ahead------------A.B.

lake_trout

Cadet
Well, I fired the boat up for the first time today, and it sounded great! whup-whup-Whup-whup-whup-whup-Whup... no missing, no blue smoke, all good.

But... the motor isn't draining thru the tell-tales. It is draining all the water from the bottom of the engine into the boat and out the drain hole. I tried to get a look underneath the motor, and I can see what looks like a couple of open drain plugs on at least one the side of the motor. A little more digging online and it looks like I've got 4-5 possible drain holes to plug. So I've either got to do this myself or take it to a marina, as my back isn't up to the contortions needed to get at those holes. Sound about right?

Watermann

A MC sterndrive doesn't have a tell tale, on the outside it does have 2 exhaust relief ports at the base of the outer transom assembly and water is supposed to pour out of them, normally one side more so. On the starboard side of the gear case is a small drain hole that is supposed to be there.

Sounds good to me, except for water inside boat, there should be 2 drain plugs that are brass on either side of the block and 1 on the bottom of each exhaust manifold.

Last edited:

ab59

Ensign
I hope that you aren't talking about Freeze plugs but It sounds like what you are looking at. How big around are these drain plugs you see ? If you replace them make sure you get the brass ones so they don't rust out . I don't think I would run that engine again until you know .
A.B.

lake_trout

Cadet
Thanks for the advice! I'm pretty sure it's the drain plugs, rather than the freeze plugs, but I won't know for sure until I get at the engine. It looks to me like the last time it was serviced, the motor was drained and the plugs were never put back in. I haven't gotten back into the boat yet, but I got the plugs I need from my marina. They look like this:

81h15s9A8kL._SL1500_.jpg

I'll update this thread when I get a chance to work on the boat some more.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Great looking boat. I’m curious about these big bad beauties. Can you overnight easily on them? Two people comfortably? Do they have somewhat of a kitchen and a bathroom Or water closet

ab59

Ensign
Yup , those ain't freeze plugs thank god . Maybe your on the right track and someone did just never put the plugs back in after draining the water from the block for winter.
Here's hopin ----------------------------------------A.B.

Watermann

I like those plugs better with the hex nut end rather than the wings like mine.

iu