22' Islander transom replacement without floor removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line Item

Cadet
Greetings folks. New to the site and posting for the 1st time.

I have a 1986 22 foot Islander that I have owned for 23 years and it has a rotten transom board that I am in the process of replacing. From what I can determine the floor boards and the motor and tank mounts are in good shape which I think is the result of indoor storage and additional ventilation that I installed after I bought it in 1996.

My question here is whether anyone has ever done the transom board replacement without pulling the flooring? In looking at the construction it appears that the main goal in pulling the floor (other than replacing rotten wood) is to allow access to the through-hull bolts that are drawing the plywood up against the aluminum skin. I realize that there may well be a number of hidden connectors down there as well and I am thinking about cutting through the floor boards at the rear and getting access that way. The plan is to then install inspection hatch covers over these spots when finished which would trim out nicely and actually allow me to take a look in there periodically as well as pop them open for ventilation.

Any pointers here? I thank you in advance and look forward to getting my grandkids out on Lake Michigan for a salmon or two.

Bob

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
:welcome: aboard

No need to remove good decking to replace the transom.

What motor? Assumption is an IO, MC140... advice depends on IO or OB model.

Watermann

I know some of the IO model year Islanders have a really difficult transom cover to remove, to make sure which yours has, post some pics of the transom cover area.

Line Item

Cadet
I got the cover off by drilling the rivet heads and shearing them off with a screwdriver and hammer. It came off without too much trouble and with no distortion from prying at the rivet location. So I have the board exposed and really the only thing left is to get the remaining through-hull screws out, bend up the gunwale end so the board will clear and pull.

I haven't been taking any pictures but I will get a couple and post them when I get home tonight.

I feel fortunate in that I am an old machinist and I operate an investment casting foundry that does aircraft and defense work. We are well equipped for most all mechanical things that might pop up and that will boost your confidence on projects like this. We always say that it something breaks and we can't get the parts we can make them. Very handy.

Watermann

If your Islander has end caps then you can cut the gunnels flush with the inside of the transom, the caps cover the cut and make it much easier than working around a bent up gunnel end.

Line Item

Cadet
The top cap extends over these. So are we saying that we should cut the end of these off?

I will go out and get some photos and post them.

Thanks for your help in the meantime.

Watermann

Yeap if the cap covers the ends of the gunnels so the missing piece is covered up you can just use a saws all or jigsaw to cut the ends off the gunnels to make removing and installing the transom way easier and nobody will ever know or care. I cut them on my Chief and got those pesky screws that were in a bracket up under the gunnel as well.

Line Item

Cadet
Greetings folks.

I have been working on replacing the transom board for quite a while and with a stay at home order from the State of Michigan this seems to be the ideal time to finish this. We who have had the pleasure of this repair have found the Achilles heel of the Islander design to be the foam against the transom board and the wicking action of the plywood that pulls water up into the board eventually rotting it away. Mine had foam underneath the board so the plywood never came in contact with the hull.

My question here is: does the plywood have to be nested in foam again or is the correct fix to allow it to contact the hull without foam? If it sits against the hull the rivets will allow a gap under the plywood and the transom will gain better drainage. I am sure that I am over-thinking this but I am at the point of laminating the 3/4" layers and doing the final cuts before sealing the plywood and now's the time to get this right.

Thanks in advance.

Stay safe!!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Seen dozens of islander transoms redone, never seen 1 w foam....

Rock n Troller

Recruit
So how did the restore go? Did you pour foam under the transom? I’m doing mine now and have encountered the same thing. The transom wood is only rotted from the foam down. Above the foam is all good. 1988 islander

Attachments

• FA510C41-7450-435C-950F-655AA533111A.jpeg
    FA510C41-7450-435C-950F-655AA533111A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 0BB34EDE-5149-43EB-AF6B-BDDB75291F9D.jpeg
    0BB34EDE-5149-43EB-AF6B-BDDB75291F9D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 14
Status
Not open for further replies.