Shoestring Starcraft SS160 Resto-mod - let the long slow road begin

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Only frustration to report tonight. I bought a new Helix7 SI Sonar and while trying to mount the transducer, the stainless steel pivot screw and nylon locknut did the dreaded seize before I could tighten it. And that’s right, seized in BOTH directions. We are NOT amused

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Only frustration to report tonight. I bought a new Helix7 SI Sonar and while trying to mount the transducer, the stainless steel pivot screw and nylon locknut did the dreaded seize before I could tighten it. And that’s right, seized in BOTH directions. We are NOT amused

Been there and done that. Know the kit didn't come with extra bolts/nuts but started ordering at least one extra of every bolt I ever bought online from boltdepot. Now I have a surplus that I have found various uses for as time goes along.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Tonight there’s an imposter in the driveway... I dragged an 80s Sylvan 16 foot bow rider home. I picked it up because I have been wanting to switch over to an OMC sorry mercury guys, I have been told by several mercury mechanics that my engine is one of the last ones out there. I’d like to sell it while it still runs and it runs great. I’ve used it for the last three years. So the purpose here is to flip motors and some of the nicer parts for the Starcraft and back up for sale she goes. Probably with a coat of paint to make it look a little bit prettier as it’s pretty tired looking

and I know I’m in danger the longer it sits in the driveway. There’s no dents or dings in the hull. Mine is full of bruises. I don’t want another full teardown project. The floors have been done and the interior looks pretty decent. I’m going to move it out and let somebody else deal with that.

I might switch the trailers. The seller drove it right onto the trailer. Looks pretty heavy duty in comparison to the one I got under the Starcraft.

Attachments

• photo335593.jpg
    photo335593.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • photo335594.jpg
    photo335594.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • photo335595.jpg
    photo335595.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The 70hp 3cyl OMC motors are a great match for our 16' SS hulls. I regularly hit 35mph (no crew/passengers) in calm conditions. That being said, keep an eye on the stator for any signs of meltdown. Here's what I found under my flywheel vs. a non-melted example.

Attachments

• photo335632.jpg
    photo335632.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 13

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
The 70hp 3cyl OMC motors are a great match for our 16' SS hulls. I regularly hit 35mph (no crew/passengers) in calm conditions. That being said, keep an eye on the stator for any signs of meltdown. Here's what I found under my flywheel vs. a non-melted example.

Wow, thanks for the tip. I will definitely check that out.

I just got a 75hp Evinrude running. Strong compression. Fires right up. Can’t wait to try it out and see what I get on GPS

SHSU

That is a second good looking project boat!!! I can understand the dilemma. Plus the transom looks taller, so would be better for bigger water.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
That is a second good looking project boat!!! I can understand the dilemma. Plus the transom looks taller, so would be better for bigger water.

SHSU

Thanks they are similar height, but the springbok has a muck narrower splashwell. I’m planning on reworking the Starcraft splashwell to be the same size or maybe smaller.

Its interesting how similar these boats are aside from the splashwell

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks they are similar height, but the springbok has a muck narrower splashwell. I’m planning on reworking the Starcraft splashwell to be the same size or maybe smaller.

Its interesting how similar these boats are aside from the splashwell

The reason for the SW difference is the era, the 80's ushered in the tall stern sides and smaller SW cut-out.

The V5 models were the test bed for a whole lot of these changes. My 79 V5 SW

y4m-ILt4PTetQNQbghOhT7hnEP43dgiJoKlRzSiXp1AHZ_e58TKJzuKrLDRxLRC8xRwn9tuocdr5yjZ36947smpjXqVT7xjbI7KyMWMCV7m26R6VNKP6G-CN_iVawI-vERBN8jn1tC9rL2nIg3_Tr-bM_oRfWy2qiysqhwbR3i4cR5r0riPaIe1XqD15b8IG3f1w_B8h4PVCQh-2OBnV00L-A

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Darn it all I have “Want both“ syndrome. The “imposter” is in much better shape than my Starcraft. No dents no dings no underside damage, no rivet corrosion...No big bathtub SW.

The dilemma is that I picked it up for the motor and then I’m going to turn out the boat for sale. I’ve had a lot of interest in it. And now I wonder if I was a little hasty in my decision. it has not sold yet.

My Starcraft is 50% finished. Now I am debating whether I should replace the transom in the Springbok so it is just useable for next season’s fishing and bumming around, and finish the floors and aesthetics in the Starcraft so that it’s ready for sale in the spring.

The 70 runs well enough that should get me through this season until the next winter rebuild. I could use all the proceeds from the Starcraft for a Terranova I pilot troller and all the custom goodies I want to put in a boat.

The trailer is heavier built, looks like a drive on a roller but it sets much higher. I’m not sure what I think about that.

And of course I would have to leave the coveted Starcraft club until I got my 22 foot holiday

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
It would seem unfortunate after all the work you've put into your Starcraft. The same reasons you cite for selling the SC (dings, damage, corrosion etc.) would probably prevent you from recouping anywhere near the the amount of money invested, no?
The Springbok is a Canadian made boat, correct? If so, I completely understand if national/local pride is a factor in your decision. I used to have a Browning Aerocraft. Being built in St. Charles Michigan was my favorite thing about it. Now I boat in a Hoosier-made hull.....

SHSU

That is life for you, but with the effort put into the Starcraft I would find it difficult as well. I haven't had an issue with the hull, but I have a 70's 70 HP Evinrude I restored. Even though it gives me fits sometimes, I still am willing to tinker and work on it because I put so much time, blood, sweat, and tears into it. So I know the feeling... it sucks....

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Michigan Lakes ; yes Canadian made by Alcan. I think Springbok may have been affiliated with Peterborough boats at one time. National pride is one thing but these boats were acquired used. For new product, I tend to think “Buy North American” as opposed to CDN or US as our economies and are intertwined anyway. I’d like to see manufacturing come back to this continent for everyone’s sake. Of course, if I can buy local, I do first (if practical)

Well, decision made, I kept the Starcraft, the imposter leaves tonight. I can’t have 2 projects and the wife loves the SS. The mods I’m thinking of will give me a similar splashwell in the end.

And a nice young man gets a new solid boat project for his family to enjoy soon, so everyone wins. I like it.

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Not much to report after such a long slumber on this project. I didn’t do anything on the boat aspect of the project so I could use it all summer. 2-3 more weeks and I’m gutting her for the rest of the floor resto and pedestal seat upgrade.

I put aside the 1990 70 in favour of a 1995 50 hp triple Evinrude that looked good. Compression is acceptable so I’m going to run that’s next year. I might try to swap the head and carbs over from the 70 to turn this into a 70hp. Keep the lower unit as a spare and part out the rest of the 90 (powerhead is tired) I’m also going to run a set of Chris Carson Marine performance reeds in it.

Anyway, teardown pix should come soon. I have some house reno stuff to do for Mrs Admiral so the putting it back together part won’t be until early winter.

SHSU

Nothing like being able to use a boat and still do work on her. I wish I had the opportunity when we did ours. Nothing like being able to see the progress and use it too. We just saw progress but it seemed to drag at times.

Excited to see your next steps on her refurb.

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Nothing like being able to use a boat and still do work on her. I wish I had the opportunity when we did ours. Nothing like being able to see the progress and use it too. We just saw progress but it seemed to drag at times.

Excited to see your next steps on her refurb.

SHSU

Thanks, after many projects that went on forever and some never to be completed, I vowed to never get in too deep or it loses its focus and fun. I learned that (for me) the smaller jobs I was likely to accomplish worked best for me

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Had a spell of mild weather, so she got gutted yesterday. Hundreds of pounds of waterlogged ply, foam and the temp floor I screwed down got ripped out. There was literally nothing left of the original plywood. Half was so rotten and wet that my gloves got soaked pulling it out in tiny pieces.

Trying to figure out how to remove the rack and pinion steering from the dash (see thread here; https://forums.iboats.com/threads/removing-steering-from-dash.740575/)

I will vac out and pressure wash this week and then she sits until mid winter waiting for some home Reno stuff to get finished first.

Attachments

• 587A9CBD-D5BB-4DDD-8C92-1C62A90FC3C1.jpeg
    587A9CBD-D5BB-4DDD-8C92-1C62A90FC3C1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 96725E62-DC6B-43E0-A511-658E2255DC40.jpeg
    96725E62-DC6B-43E0-A511-658E2255DC40.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
  • 1D0791AB-67D1-4C13-86D8-8068AD5F1C66.jpeg
    1D0791AB-67D1-4C13-86D8-8068AD5F1C66.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15

SHSU

Nothing like gutting a boat and giving her new life. You going to remove the front carpet or leave as is?

SHSU

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I’m keeping that original vinyl intact along the gunnels and bow area. It’s close to the blue nautolex I used for the rear floor area when I did the transom (see 2-3 pages back)

I like the retro 70’s thing blue on white theme

Michigan Lakes

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I like that your keeping the original vinyl in place. No sense in the added time and cost if you're happy with with the function and appearance.
I’m keeping that original vinyl intact along the gunnels and bow area. It’s close to the blue nautolex I used for the rear floor area when I did the transom (see 2-3 pages back)

I like the retro 70’s thing blue on white theme

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
Spring is here and boat is thawed. Time to put my floors in. Before I do, I want to add the aluminum rib end brackets. Does anyone remember who’s thread it was where they attached to the rib itself instead to the bottom of the hull? I like the idea of less rivets below the waterline.

any thoughts as to gauge? I’m thinking 5052 aluminum sheet.

what grade and length of solid rivets for the hull above spray rail?