1984 SS-160 worth renovating or not?

Nofiber

Recruit
The motor on my beloved Starcraft has bit the dust and I’m debating replacing it with a new 90hp, a 10k investment! We have tried going the fiberglass boat route and nothing comes close to the handling and performance of our aluminum 160.

There are no leaks, the floor is firm and the transum is solid, so other then cosmetic considerations, the boat seems solid. So my plan would be to put a new motor and seats on to get me through this season then do a more radical makeover over the winter.

Am I crazy to put 10-13 into a 35 year old boat?

Looking forward to hearing some opinions, thanks!

Attachments

• photo312916.jpg
    photo312916.jpg
    599.3 KB · Views: 10
  • photo312917.jpg
    photo312917.jpg
    478.4 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard

I would put a used motor on it for $2-4k and go boating.

however its your boat. price a new boat.... then you find the value in fixing what you have

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
There are a heck of a lot of us that have done it on much older boats, if the boat is in good shape, I would do what Scott, get a good quality used engine, slap it on there and go boating.

jbcurt00

Staff member
And no is a pretty good time to buy used take offs from someone else going bigger or 4cyl instead of 2cyl....

Nofiber

Recruit
Thanks guys, appreciate your input! The thing is, I’m looking for a once and done approach, whatever steps I take when it’s done I’d love it to be trouble free for 10 years or so. So what kind of troubles can you have with an old hull that after 35 years has no issues? Talk about replacing all the rivets sends shivers down my spine! Fixing the transum, insulation, floor, not so bad.

I bought a 2014 Starcraft 172 Sport a couple years back that I hate, for too many reasons to list here. I want to sell it and invest that money in the boat that I love, but I’m trying not to be stupid about it. I should restore it first, then put a new engine on, but I don’t want to lose the season. So invest in the 35 year old SS160 or not is my dilemma.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Nofiber :wave:

Yeah the 16' SS is the most prolific and popular aluminum boat of all time so to me that means it will always be sought after and will be timeless.

A number of guys in the group have gone the route of new 4 stroke Mercs on their old tin.

Thanks for the pics, shows you did some looking around and are maybe serious about your SS.

I've always like these early 80's models with half lap and half smooth sides. :thumb:

fetch

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
New boats are expensive, take an initial depreciation hit, then level off in value for a long, long time. Price and value is all about equipment and condition. If you like the boat, care for it, and maintain it I see no reason not to stick with it. As far as 10 years of trouble free boating go - that's down to the condition and age of wood, wiring, and motor and how you use/store the boat. There's no reason a good used motor wouldn't make it, but new can be nice too.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I spent more than I intended on while putting my boat together, but I did so with the thought of never selling it and re-powering it down the road in the event that the '73 Evinrude 50 gives up the ghost. There's no shame in it, you can't recoup the investment, but that doesn't mean it isn't worthwhile.

If I were in your shoes, I'd be tempted to hang onto the newer boat while you restore the old one and sell it once you are ready to put a motor on. Like Scott said, $2-4K will get you a good motor.

discochris

Cadet
If the boat is solid, keep it. I'd look for a good used motor, or find someone to do a rebuild. I had a 1996 Evinrude 115 rebuilt for me two years ago, and it is essentially a brand new motor now. For about 1/4 the cost of a new 115. My wife and I were just talking about how much we love our boat, in part because it is old. If I ding it on a dock, or on the rocks pulling up to the island to swim, I'm not freaking out. I can just touch up the paint later. I figure I have about $8500 into my 1973 SS18, but to replace it with a similar brand new boat, I'd be looking at close to $30 grand. No way would I do that.