1985 MR 180 and 2-part paint

i am ripping apart my boat and giving it a full restoration. New 75 Etec is now paid for and will rig once the boat is done. I want to use a 2 part poly paint (interlux perfection or epifanes). Is the original finish sufficient to clean, scuff, prime and paint ? I don’t know what they painted with, but hope it can handle the 2-part without the need to go bare metal. The original finish is sound, but dull and just butt ugly color. Does anyone have actual experience using a 2-part over the factory paint? Thanks! I will have photos and vids to share. Very excited to bring my old girl back to life!

ShoestringMariner

Lieutenant Commander
I'm sorry that I can't offer any help to your question, but hope to see some photos of your progress. I'm planning on repainting mine too

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've not had luck trying to put new paint over 40 year old chalk with 1000's of imperfections and contaminations. I learned from that mistake and strip the hull bare starting with fresh, clean AL makes the end result much better..

Thanks.....I am going to ‘do it right’.......I will chemically strip and then clean up w/ scotch rite discs on the 2”....then I think Epifanes 2-part system.....I did the transom last fall and then repainted the splash well/transom with ez proxy. Despite rigorous prep, the 1-part just doesn’t cut it.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You're not the first I've read about having issue with ez poxy.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
I painted one years ago over the factory paint with a hardened enamel single stage automotive paint. It came out OK, but it would have been a lot better if I had taken the time to strip the hull. Unless the factory paint is in great shape and all you want is a color change, i'd take the time to strip it and start with a blank canvas.