Starcraft SF16 Camp?

nhangler

Cadet
I am going to look at one tomorrow but don't see a lot of information on this boat. I like the open floor in the center. The owner does not know much about the boat including the year. I'm guessing it is a late 90's hull though. That said, I suspect the floors will need a refresh. My only other worry is corrosion. From the pictures, it appears whoever used it had an electric anchor winch in the from and in the back of the boat and likewise an electric winch on the trailer. I would cry if I pulled up those floors and found dust from where the stringers were.

Here is what I think I know about it: 16'4" / 74" beam / 20" transom / 40HP max / .080 thickness.

Anyone that has or has had this boat have any comments of feedback?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm not real familiar with the side console or tiller SF model but I wouldn't be worried about the anything having turned to dust due to the use of electric items specifically designed for use on boats. Shore power ran to the boat while moored is where I would start to worry.

Posting some pics of the boat would help, not too mention draw more attention to your post.

nhangler

Cadet
Well, I went and looked at it yesterday. It is indeed a 1999 and what I was most worried about was not an issue. Solid floors and no signs of corrosion elsewhere. However, the outboard had not been started in 2+ years so I brought some fresh fuel in a separate container and was able to get it to start but not idle. Likely needs to have all 3 carbs cleaned and possibly rebuilt. Anything of rubber would need to be replaced such as the fuel lines, some wiring, trailer tires, rollers, etc. The biggest turnoff though was that the oil filter had a date from 2004 written on it. If that was the last time it had been changed, I would be worried. However, it is a Honda so likely is not as offended by this as other brands would be.

The bigger the todo list I created while looking at it, the more I realized this was not the deal for me. I'm capable of doing all of these things but simply have no time at this point in my life. Went from seeing that boat to go look at new ones at a nearby dealer and those prices have put me back into looking for something used as a reasonable compromise. Time vs $ vs life is too short.

Price of used tin boats right now is simply stupid. At least in my area.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
For most of us here the equation goes: effort+money= great reward.

nhangler

Cadet
I am the same. I also appreciate a great wrench and executing on what I know and sometimes what I don't. Make my own beer, build my own fishing rods, all home improvement projects, etc.

I do like the layout of this boat and offers a lot of level floor space for utility boat. Since it is a tiller, if it is still for sale, I might make them an offer with the risk of the outboard being junk and then swap it out for a running one until I can go through the one that is on there.