New Ban on paint strippers containing Methylene Chloride

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've been absent for a little while but saw this today.

Many of us use paint strippers known as "aircraft paint remover" or "aircraft stripper". Also included in this is my favorite, Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover.

Well, apparently the fumes can be deadly, and the EPA has just banned their sale to consumers. I'm posting this as an FYI. I personally will be stocking up ASAP and I'll certainly ensure I don't inhale any fumes. I've never found any other product that can strip paint from aluminum anything like this stuff. I'll miss it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I've been absent for a little while but saw this today.

Many of us use paint strippers known as "aircraft paint remover" or "aircraft stripper". Also included in this is my favorite, Jasco Premium Paint and Epoxy Remover.

Well, apparently the fumes can be deadly, and the EPA has just banned their sale to consumers. I'm posting this as an FYI. I personally will be stocking up ASAP and I'll certainly ensure I don't inhale any fumes. I've never found any other product that can strip paint from aluminum anything like this stuff. I'll miss it.

Sad that anything that really words well gets banned. One thing I find interesting about "Aircraft Stripper" is it states to not use it on airplanes. I find that pretty funny myself... Makes one wonder where the title came from!

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
One thing I find interesting about "Aircraft Stripper" is it states to not use it on airplanes. I find that pretty funny myself... Makes one wonder where the title came from!

I'm guessing their lawyers made them put it on there. The world we live in...

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
many things can be deadly, good thing we're protected - oh wait, I drive a car every day...

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's not good... I have some paint that needs to come off.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
that is some pretty nasty stuff to work with, but it worked so well.:ban:
I've only used aircraft stripper, has anyone had success with something else?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some guys have used the orange based stripper. I haven't tried it, so your guess is as good as mine.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have used MEK in the past as a paint remover and I am not seeing that it has been banned yet!

Have also used DMSO as a solvent and paint stripper and it works well, but it is slow.