Best size for a generic cover for an 80s Islander 220?

lake_trout

Cadet
Hi all,

Great site you've got here! I'm looking for a quick bit of advice on buying a cover for a 1980s Islander 220, which I need to do ASAP as I'm losing inside storage this week. I'm not looking to spend much, as this cover only needs to last me till this summer, when I can make some more permanent plans on storage and getting a decent quality cockpit cover. So my question is this... should I go for the 20-22 ft. cover, or get the 22-24 ft cover, since the cockpit on the Islander sits so much higher than most 22' cuddy cabins?

Thanks for your help in advance. I promise to put up more details, pics, etc. when I get more time later this week or next!

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd just go with the bigger one if size is the only question. A cover slightly too big is still usable, one that's too small is almost useless.

lake_trout

Cadet
Thanks for the tips! I ordered the bigger cover - i'll update this post when I get it on the boat and check the fit.

lake_trout

Cadet
Ok, so this took me a few more weeks than anticipated to post a follow up... but... here's what I learned...

The cover I ordered was this one, which should fit 23-24' boats:

https://www.amazon.com/MSC-Polyeste...4011&rps=1&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-4&th=1&psc=1

It is pretty decent in terms of quality and length, but it is just a little too narrow at the tallest point of the boat, and puckers to reveal about 6" of deck on both sides of the boat. Even so it hasn't let any water accumulate in the boat, so I figure I'll keep it until it starts coming apart in a couple of years. I personally wouldn't trailer with it though, as it needed a few homemade posts out of PVC pipe to help keep the cover taught.

Attachments

• photo315447.jpg
    photo315447.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

lake_trout

Cadet
Watermann - I looked into getting the attwood cover, but walmart doesn't sell them anymore, and the one place I found online that sells them wants 2x the price that walmart was selling them for!!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah a guy has to do what he has to do. F model isn't available at WM but North 40 has them in the E model.

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
If you're not happy with the cover I'm sure Amazon will take it back, they are great about returns. Looks like you need one with a wider beam.

Watermann

He needs to find a cover for cuddy cabin boats, the standard runabout size will never fit right in that section of the boat.

Watermann

lake_trout

Cadet
Thanks for the link MT! I bookmarked it for later. It's been my experience that these covers don't last too long anyhow, so as long my current one continues to keep the water out of the boat, I'll keep it till it disintegrates in a year or two.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks for the link MT! I bookmarked it for later. It's been my experience that these covers don't last too long anyhow, so as long my current one continues to keep the water out of the boat, I'll keep it till it disintegrates in a year or two.

Well I had one on my SS160 all winter long this last year and it was a rough winter, spring got here, took it off and it is still like brand new, I was amazed, no fading, no stretching, just a darn good cover for a good price.

I have no affiliation with the company, I just like their products and they are always willing to listen to your ideas on how to make a better product if you email them.

lake_trout

Cadet
Good to know. I looked at a few covers on ebay, but none of them caught my eye. I am wary of buying products with few reviews so I may have missed that one.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well I have one for my SS160 and I actually have a new one in the garage for a 14 foot boat, cause I bought another brand off of ebay a couple of years ago, that I know is not going to last another winter.