2footitus cured

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I found a cure to my 2footitus with a 18ft 1971 Startrek but its way under powered. Came with a 50hp merc on the back but its rated for a 125. I have come across an oil injected 1988 100hP merc but it weighs 340lbs. Would I be off my rocker to install something that heavy on the back of this boat? The transom is is excellent shape and the knee brace is not broke or fatigued. Im just worried that even know its rated for 125hp most motors available in the early 70's were close to 100lbs less.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
We have a 1970 16' StarCraft. It has a mid 70's 850 Merc, about 265 lbs, and many had 89/90 hp OMC's which are in the 300 range. You shouldn't have any problem with a 340 lb motor, (assuming that you have a 18' StarCraft and not StarTrek)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If it were me, I'd just hang another 50 Merc on the back of that Starcraft Star Trek-V and call it good! Gonna need a backup motor anyway. And the weight would be about the same as the 100HP single. :D

Looks to be a neat boat. Got pix? :joyous:

Star Trek-V 18 foot.jpg

txbandit44

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wish she looked like that one. The PO at some point made it a side console. Good news was the floor was original so i had a template for once to re-deck with. Still debating on how to set her up. Will be a center console again though. my power options are New 60hp merc or an oil injected 85-125 motor. Just concerned about the weight because I was steered away from a heavy motor on the back of my 74 Supersport 16ft but I want to make sure i got more than enough power to get off the water in a hurry with 4 adults and 3 kids and gear if the need arises.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The boat was designed and built with the weights the motors were at the time of production, so if the transom is in good shape, the worries you have, have already been addressed and she should perform as intended in 1971. My 73 16 Super Sport has the original motor on it, that weighs in about just about 193 pounds and it is a 50hp Evinrude Lark, she performs just fine for what I do, but I am sure you could increase the weight quite a bit on the motor and with proper balancing in the boat, it would work great with a newer motor on her. That said, I would not hesitate to find a correct era motor and put on it, they are easy to work on and normally not all that difficult to find for a reasonable price.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
You are talking about an 18' boat - right? They are significantly larger then the SC SS 16's. And the later versions, which are basically the same, are rated for 150 hp. Granted that is still less weight than you are talking, but not by much.

And I'm not sure how "old" you want to go. we started with a 1960 75 hp v4 OMC, IIRC it was about 220 lbs, but the extra fuel more than made up for it. I probably wouldn't go older than the 80's, but that's just me. .

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I wish she looked like that one. The PO at some point made it a side console. Good news was the floor was original so i had a template for once to re-deck with. Still debating on how to set her up. Will be a center console again though. my power options are New 60hp merc or an oil injected 85-125 motor. Just concerned about the weight because I was steered away from a heavy motor on the back of my 74 Supersport 16ft but I want to make sure i got more than enough power to get off the water in a hurry with 4 adults and 3 kids and gear if the need arises.

If it was me, I would not even consider that 60hp motor on a boat rated at 125. No way.

If you have a 125HP engine available, that's the way I'd go for sure. (Hey, twins are nice but not everyone wants them. :tongue-new: )

The 125 might be able to be converted to pre-mix. Some of the other more knowledgeable guys will probably chime in on that aspect.

Looking forward to seeing your project take shape! :)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah some pics please and 340 is not heavy for an 18'r