Newbie here

cdndewey

Cadet
Hello folks

I'm recently retired and just purchased my first boat to do some fishing and exploring our coast. It's an 18 ft Starcraft with a Volvo 4 cyl I/O.It's in nice shape and I believe it will fit my needs perfectly. I haven't taken it out yet because I first have to get my boat operators permit.

I forgot to ask the fellow that I bought it from the year so I will get in touch with him later to see if he knows. If he doesn't know how would I go about finding out?

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I get to spend time on it.

Dewey

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy Dewey and :welcome: to iboats

I don't know where you live but not many places require a learners permit for a boat unless they are very young. Seeing your retired I don't think that is an issue

baldwibr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Welcome!! Most boats built after 1972 will have a small metal plate or engravement on the back of the boat (on the transom) that is a serial code of letters and numbers called the Hull Identification Number (HIN). You can enter this code at the website below to decode the HIN to find out the manufacturer of the boat and the date and month it was made.

https://www.hindecoder.com/

Also, we like pictures on here so if you can post some pictures, we may be able to narrow the date of your boat based on particular features from your boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

cdndewey

Cadet
Welcome!! Most boats built after 1972 will have a small metal plate or engravement on the back of the boat (on the transom) that is a serial code of letters and numbers called the Hull Identification Number (HIN). You can enter this code at the website below to decode the HIN to find out the manufacturer of the boat and the date and month it was made.

https://www.hindecoder.com/

Also, we like pictures on here so if you can post some pictures, we may be able to narrow the date of your boat based on particular features from your boat.

Thanks Bryan...I'll look it all over when I get some free time.

I have found out the engine is an AQ 130C and the leg is an AQ 100B.

Attachments

• 73696396_614.jpg
    73696396_614.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 73696428_934.jpg
    73696428_934.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 73696413_934.jpg
    73696413_934.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 73696436_934.jpg
    73696436_934.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 2

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
with the drive being an AQ100B, that would put the boat in the early 60's. since the AQ100 was produced from 1961-1963, and the B would be year 2 of production, its most likely a 1962. however I could be off by a year or two, most of my VP documentation doesnt go back that far.

many parts will be hard to find.

cdndewey

Cadet
with the drive being an AQ100B, that would put the boat in the early 60's. since the AQ100 was produced from 1961-1963, and the B would be year 2 of production, its most likely a 1962. however I could be off by a year or two, most of my VP documentation doesnt go back that far.

many parts will be hard to find.

I spoke to the previous owner to the one I bought it from and he told me it was a Frankenboat. It's not the original drive or engine. From the Googling I've done it might be an early 70's vintage. I haven't located a HIN yet so I'm suspecting pre 72.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Dewey,
Congrats on your new way of life and good-looking boat, and thanks for the pics. I assume you have some boat operating experience, and now have your own. Take it slow, start in calmer, more protected waters if you can. Let someone on shore know where you plan to go, and when you plan to return