1966 starcraft chieftain

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Yeah it's a ll about what you need and the best way to get it. The seats in the back are useless for a fishing boats needs. If original all the wood supports in your Chief are mahogany, I'd pull the vinyl off all if it to expose that wood and seal it well.

I just noticed that your windshield is a 3 piece which opens in the center.

fetch

bogee

Seaman
I don't know if that windshield is original, kinda useless for me and my fat a&$! LOL I could maybe shove one of the grandaughters thru that. Once the bimini is on it's not a very big opening.

Watermann

No it's not original, they were 2 piece windshields that didn't open. To get on the bow you have the equally worthless bow hatch for us full sized guys. :lol:

bogee

Seaman
Had a nice day the last 2 days, warm, had to be mid 50's today. Took advantage and got things hooked back up. I have one small oopy doop. Put the deck in and cut out to the stringers for the engine. Now the dog house is to small. Add to that, the battery box and tilt pump come a little passed the deck support on top the transom. I think I will remake the dog house and do a little fenagling to build it out just a little so the battery box fits, I don't need those cup holders, as beer gets warm when you let it sit, so fishing rod holders in the new design would be better. Plus a nice flat hard top for sitting things on instead of a cushion.

Attachments

• photo307724.jpg
    photo307724.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo307727.jpg
    photo307727.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo307728.jpg
    photo307728.jpg
    536.8 KB · Views: 3

bogee

Seaman
Yes I have 2 of them in the back dech over the transom and 2 adjustables on the sides. Looking at m,aybe 2 downriggers.

bogee

Seaman
I just noticed the wide opening at the top. I just have the fishin rod holders. I like those things!

bogee

Seaman
OK I have my lower unit back on, power trim back in working order, and have the the bilge blower installed and hooked up and just about all the boat put back together. Need some carpeting and seat work is about all to get it in the water. One problem and I don't know if it is one. When I installed the lower unit it would spin in 1 direction in forward, i rocked the control to reverse and the prop just free wheels in both directions, back to forward and it only freewheels in one direction, is this just something not engaging because the engine is not running. Cant start it yet as we will still have some nights when it will freeze up to see what gives!

ab59

Ensign
Kinda did the same myself not too long ago. In forward position you should not be able to spin the prop, it should be lock up . It should spin freely in Neutral . In reverse the prop should be locked up . You do not need the engine running .

bogee

Seaman
About 3 hours of looking at videos, reading manual and adjusting and I think I have the forward and reverse working as they should!

Watermann

You're on track to be ready for some spring boating action :thumb:

bogee

Seaman
Anyone else have a subscription for a newsletter covering up some of their pages, my messages page is covered and even if I subscribe it comes up spam check failed and will not go away no matter what I try!

bogee

Seaman
I'm, down to a lot of cosmetic work, our local fabric center is going out of business, drug the wife there yesterday and got her material to recover my seats in the cabin. All the sunbrella mat'l was down to $3 yard. I guess thats good for material, she said it is. The interior of the cabin ceiling needs replaced and a coat of fresh paint. I may relace the counter top in there as I will never use the old alcohol stove. But I will keep the sink for hand washing!

bogee

Seaman
Still need to install a 12 volt light in the cabin, and put in 3 trim strips i need because I replaced the ceiling in the cabin. When the wife gets my new cushions made I will replace the carpeting in the cabin also. I had it in the water Thursday, absolutely dry, everything hunky dory. It's not a full restore but the grandkids and I will get some fun out of it this year. I want to get a 2nd battery on it for powering the lights and fish finder, need to get a fish finder with GPS also. I'm ready for some fun!

Attachments

• photo310984.jpg
    photo310984.jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 5
  • photo310985.jpg
    photo310985.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 4
  • photo310986.jpg
    photo310986.jpg
    523.5 KB · Views: 4
  • photo310987.jpg
    photo310987.jpg
    515.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo310988.jpg
    photo310988.jpg
    534.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo310989.jpg
    photo310989.jpg
    541.4 KB · Views: 5

Watermann

Yeah you got your priorities right, fun on the water with family. Looking good and with girls on board you'll need a head for them.

bogee

Seaman
Yes will need a porta potty, one of them would just hang back over the side without a care in the world, the other is just to girly to pee anywhere but on porcelain! LOL