starcraft 21' islander vs chieftain

s3tbuell

Recruit
Can anyone tell me the difference? I am looking at a 1988 chieftain with a 4.3. dont know anything about them. I have read rivet issues
any advice would be great
Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Islander is for fishing with a large cockpit and small cabin. Chieftain is for cruising with a larger cabin and smaller cockpit.

Rivets - We love reevits. LOL

Welcome aboard and hope you grab some tin.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
There are no known rivet issues on these boats to worry over, either is a fine cabin boat.

s3tbuell

Recruit
thanks for the responses!! you guys are great
looking at the boat tomorrow. how do you tell if the transom is solid??

1973Chieftain

Lieutenant
It can be difficult to tell for sure, but start by looking around any through hull bolts/fittings/outdrive hole (if its an I/O). Try pushing on spots with your fingers, soft is not good lol. That's a good start, but sometimes only a certain area or two is bad and the rest is decent. Good thing with Starcrafts though, its normally a fairly simple job to replace them if needed!

Watermann

If the transom is original then assume it needs replaced. Inspection visually the transom wood should not be dark, original SC transoms can be unsealed raw ply or white washed.

s3tbuell

Recruit
saw the boat. love it but he stated it did take on water a few inches after a day. Is this normal? when in the cabin I smelt fuel. Not strong at all just slightly. The MPH and RPM gauge did not work either. They look electric. Is this the case?
Any thoughts would be great.
A side note. If it was not for this forum I would not even looked at a starcraft!!
Thanks to all you guys and girls who answer ?s for us new bees

Watermann

The thing is that boat should be considered a project boat due to it's age.

Yes it will leak, if the boat is covered up then the fuel tank vent will be under a cover causing fumes from the vent to stay under there and stink up the cabin.

Gauges are almost always replaced when the boats are restored because yes they go bad or are inaccurate after decades. Sometimes though just the wiring is messed up on them.