PlayDoh’s 16 SS resto underway

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
So today was the day I decided to dig in and get to work. I was fishing last night, and as of now she’s all gutted down to the hull.
As soon as I was done I had this sneaking feeling of “What have I done?!”, lol. Yet the deck was completely rotten, as was every other piece of wood.
Im going to start planning as I work on sealing up the seams and rivets (gluvit bought), and then sanding and painting.
It looks like I’ll have some hull repair to do at the stern. Someone fiberglassed the seam between the transom and hull. And there’s a fairly large silicone patch less than a foot from the transom on the hull. Not sure what it’s hiding, yet I didn’t see anything from the inside yet.
I’ll post some pics in a few mins, once I figure out how to reduce there size. There on my iPhone and unfortunately it didn’t ask me to automatically resize.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh ya, she’s a 1983

Attachments

• photo299994.jpg
    photo299994.jpg
    1,016 KB · Views: 9
  • photo299995.jpg
    photo299995.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 7
  • photo299996.jpg
    photo299996.jpg
    750.9 KB · Views: 7
  • photo299997.jpg
    photo299997.jpg
    885 KB · Views: 7
  • photo299998.jpg
    photo299998.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 7
  • photo299999.jpg
    photo299999.jpg
    957.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo300000.jpg
    photo300000.jpg
    815.5 KB · Views: 9

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
I haven’t seen this foam job done like this in any other posts. They drilled / cut holes in the deck and sprayed in foam.
What surprised me also is that every screw into the deck was just that. Nothing I could see that would protect the deck from water.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
great project, that foam looks easier to remove than most I've seen.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I haven’t seen this foam job done like this in any other posts. They drilled / cut holes in the deck and sprayed in foam.
What surprised me also is that every screw into the deck was just that. Nothing I could see that would protect the deck from water.

Possible it was a foam change that either didnt 'work' as intended or wasnt as effective as the suit bean counters wanted it to be...... Never seen 1 like it before either......

Who knows....

does seem unlikely to have not been factory foam job though.

Boat was never intended to have a 35yr service life, so yep, raw screws thru the deck....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That one looks like it has been rebuilt before, but it will be a fun project.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
While it’s possible it’s been redone, I’d guess it hasn’t. The wood was a bit out like other projects showing factory cuts. And the riviets didn’t appear to be redone.

The good news is my transom looks good, although I am still considering replacing it. I’m going to take a much better look at it.
Im also trying to decide to take the splash-we’ll out or not. I have 2 competing concerns. One is to make sure I can get what needs to be done while it’s warm enough, like gluvit and paint. Also to be finished by spring.

The other it to do everything I’m dreaming of, and have no regrets later. I’m considering redesigning the splash-well. I love the 2018 SC Renegades splash-we’ll design. The flip down bench seat, and casting deck with storage compartments. The factory SS splash-well seems like a lot of real estate is wasted. Yet it is ideal regarding water control.

I’m not looking to redesign the wheel, or take risks with structural integrity. However the splash-well doesn’t appear to be vital as it is, and how I’m considering changing it wouldn’t effect its support much, if at all.

Decisions, decisions

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
These are the Renegade features I’d like to copy if possible.

Attachments

• photo300030.jpg
    photo300030.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
  • photo300031.jpg
    photo300031.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 10
  • photo300032.jpg
    photo300032.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 10

jbcurt00

Staff member
Stress cracks @ splashwell in many rebuilds suggests it does tie the back of the boat and transom together. As do the side panels so many want to remove, tying the gunwales and deck across the beam of the boat and reduce the likelihood of chine cracks.

Both details discussed at length in many (All? Most?) topics

interesting, suprised your 1983 doesnt look to have the rib end reinforcements to prevent chine cracking... maybe they didnt think the 16ftrs needed them.

modify splashwell, but remember it does offer support and plan/build accordingly.

dont forget to make sure and leave enough room for the outboard to fully tilt forward. The current OB or any future OB you might replace it w.

Last edited:

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Stress cracks @ splashwell in many rebuilds suggests it does tie the back of the boat and transom together. As do the side panels so many want to remove, tying the gunwales and deck across the beam of the boat and reduce the likelihood of chine cracks.

Both details discussed at length in many (All? Most?) topics

interesting, suprised your 1983 doesnt look to have the rib end reinforcements to prevent chine cracking... maybe they didnt think the 16ftrs needed them.

modify splashwell, but remember it does offer support and plan/build accordingly.

dont forget to make sure and leave enough room for the outboard to fully tilt forward. The current OB or any future OB you might replace it w.

Thanks JB, sound advice. In the cases of cracked splash wells I seen, they were apparently caused by a compromised transom. Yet your right in that it certainly does add support, and my idea only really involves lowering the top edge a few inches. I think that could be done and still provide the support in the same location. I was thinking a triangle truss piece at the edges from the gunnels to the splashwell.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your wishes are very do-able M8! I just completed my Holi to an SS with a bowectomy to add a front casting deck with removable pedestal seat. I removed the huge stock splashwell that took up so much needed real estate.I also replaced and re-inforced the transom while keeping structural integrity by tying the gunnels, transom and flooring at the stern. I truly love the flip conversion back seat to a rear pedestal casting deck aspect. Soooo much more room now! You'll be so glad you did.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
The easiest way I found to re-size photos you want to upload here is send the pics via email to yr address from yr iphone. It will ask you to add name /subject, then the next question is that it will ask is the pic size you want sent, small, medium, large or actual size in kb or mb with the size next to it in parentheses. Just choose the lesser one with under 2mb
Then open it in yr email acct and download it then save it and remember where in email it's located,
then here, click the clipboard thingy in the top right hand corner of the typing box when you want to add the pic
upload attachment,
locate in email
and wola
easy peasy, right?

Last edited:

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
The easiest way I found to re-size photos you want to upload here is send the pics via email to yr address from yr iphone. It will ask you to add name /subject, then the next question is that it will ask is the pic size you want sent, small, medium, large or actual size in kb or mb with the size next to it in parentheses. Just choose the lesser one with under 2mb
Then open it in yr email acct and download it then save it and remember where in email it's located,
then here, click the clipboard thingy in the top right hand corner of the typing box when you want to add the pic
upload attachment,
locate in email
and wola
easy peasy, right?

Thanks, that’s actually exactly what I did. It’s sad photobucket went the way it did, yet I’m sure it was with good reason.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Your wishes are very do-able M8! I just completed my Holi to an SS with a bowectomy to add a front casting deck with removable pedestal seat. I removed the huge stock splashwell that took up so much needed real estate.I also replaced and re-inforced the transom while keeping structural integrity by tying the gunnels, transom and flooring at the stern. I truly love the flip conversion back seat to a rear pedestal casting deck aspect. Soooo much more room now! You'll be so glad you did.

Awesome, now I’m even more motivated. I hope you got pics on here, I’ll find out in a min or so. Not sure what a ‘Holi to SS’ entails but it sounds cool, lol.

Im not sure if I’m gonna go with the rod locker like the Renegade, and fore-go the low deck space at the bow. I’m still dreaming up ideas and plans, so we’ll see.

Either way, I’ll have a seat base up there and a large casting deck. I’d like to still have 4 seat bases behind the windshield, along with the flip down bench.

I got the motor off today, and most of the foam out. I’m thinking of putting together a cradle like ‘FigMo’ did. That way I can plug away at the interior all winter in my garage. Also work on the trailer. I want some real guides. I found a guy selling his SS, and like his guides. All I’d add is bow guides, which is what I think I have on my trailer at the rear from a PO. their too short to be of any use.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo300157.png
    photo300157.png
    984.1 KB · Views: 6

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
[No message]

Attachments

• photo300158.png
    photo300158.png
    710.4 KB · Views: 1

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
That one looks like it has been rebuilt before, but it will be a fun project.

I’m now thinking your right about that. I found an extra set of holes on the stringer rivets. That and the odd foam job. I’d guess it was a quick job, either to sell it or a shop job.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I’m done stripping the interior pretty much. My tentative plan is to buck rivets, once I figure out how to, lol. And then gluvit seams and such.
After that I’ll need to flip the thing, yet I have no idea how I’ll be able to get that done. I live in the country and don’t have a ton of friends, and only a couple that are ‘close’, so I’m trying to figure out an ‘Egyptian’ way of doing it. Egyptian is my way of saying pulleys and leavers.
I’m stronger than the average bear, and I tried to see if I could lift the stern, but without risking screwing my back I couldn’t lift it, which didn’t surprise me.
Anyone know what a bare hull of a 16SS weighs?
Ive only read people lifting and flipping a 16 with a ‘few’ guys. Anyone remember how many guys? I’m guessing the method is lifting it off the trailer, and setting it down, then carefully rolling it over. I would either want to do the rolling on some soft ground, or fab up some sort of bracket / rocker to save the edge.

Any info, links or ideas would be greatly appreciated. I’m thinking this question might be better asked separately in the SC forum page, to attract more attention.

As for bucking rivets, is it one guy in and one out going rivet to rivet? One with a hammer, the other with a ‘buck’? Would I do every rivet, or just ones that are or could look loose?

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
My best plan for now is to ‘launch’ the boat on to some soft grass, then rolling it over. After that lifting the bow up and rolling a flat utility trailer underneath.