Just picked up a 1983 15' Holiday

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Not true, the 2ed image I enlarged is the SS 15 from the '83 catalog posted.
The 1st image is the H 150 from the '83 catalog.
Note that both of these models are different then there larger cousins.

I do agree it's a mod'ed H for the reasons I started above.

"no such thing as a 15' SS."

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The large image at the top of this page from the Brochure says SS-150

But, looking at the splashwell on the boat in question, it sure looks like a Holiday splashwell.

Attachments

• photo298931.jpg
    photo298931.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Here is another picture of the 150 and the 160 together.

Attachments

• photo298962.jpg
    photo298962.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 4

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Now that is news to me not having scrutinized every one of the brochures. I've never witnessed one of those oddball SS models here and I've read over every resto thread listed and then some. I wonder if guys thought they were a 16 since the other model is 15'5"? Although I've not seen that funky bow cut out before either.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It is a mystery, this boat seems to have features of both models but yet the HL has always been the Holiday and the SS has always been Supersport and his boat has the Holiday splashwell in it, so I would have to say, it didn't leave the factory as a bowrider. It does look like who ever did it, did a good job with the conversion

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Another comment is maybe the SS 16 wasn't offered very long, meaning there are few out there.

I'm in MN, arguably the place where there are more of these small boats then any place else.
I have seen H 15's, almost bought one once even, but I don't recall ever seeing a SS 15, the 16 and 18's are everywhere here, the 20/22/24's are less common but are seen.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I am sitting here thinking about this and just remembered, I grew up in SW Washington and one of our haunts was the Lewis River and we used to go fishing up there a lot during the summer. There was a world famous fishing pole company in Woodland and I remember vaguely there was a small company that sat right next to the fishing rod company that had a sign up along the Hwy and it Said "We can make your boat an open bow boat"

Now remember, this was in the late 70's early 80's so we are going back over 40 years ago, can't remember their name, but they were there for a few years.

I am starting to think this may be one of their boats that they converted.. I also remember seeing some Mirrocrafts they had converted back then.

I started thinking about this, because that is a WA boat based on the numbers on the hull.

If you look at the pictures above the bow on this boat in question, the drivers side cut at the junction of the angle aluminum at the front has a dent where the two pieces come together, which is a sign that they bow was cut out with shears and not a saw. I have had that happen on RV siding when working with aluminum sheeting.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Man here we are mucking up his thread with all our observations :lol:

Looks like the vinyl deck covered "consoles" that are most likely plywood rather than AL and the front deck supports are dimensional lumber 2x2s. For sure home made not professionally done by a business I would think.

fetch

gliderflyer

Cadet
Nah, nobody's mucking it up, I appreciate all the info. I'll try and post pics as I get into tearing it apart and putting it back together. I'm just going to be putting in a new transom and deck, it won't be a full bore restoration. First of all however I need to get this thing finished up. I'm redoing the interior but leaving the exterior as-is.

Attachments

• photo299145.jpg
    photo299145.jpg
    793.9 KB · Views: 6

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Nah, nobody's mucking it up, I appreciate all the info. I'll try and post pics as I get into tearing it apart and putting it back together. I'm just going to be putting in a new transom and deck, it won't be a full bore restoration. First of all however I need to get this thing finished up. I'm redoing the interior but leaving the exterior as-is.

Boy where did you find that? That looks like an old late 50's early 60's Aljoa trailer, have not seen one of those for a long time now.

Attachments

• photo299146.jpg
    photo299146.jpg
    417.4 KB · Views: 0

gliderflyer

Cadet
Found it on CL last year, what a can of worms it's turned out to be. Still fun to work on though and now I'm even more inspired to get it finished. It's a 1958 Aljo, not Aljoa. At some point the Alcoa aluminum company filed suit against Aljoa so they just dropped the a and called it Aljo. Mine was once part of a pair that two brothers bought brand new along with matching 1958 Chrysler Imperials and they traveled them all over the country with their families.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Found it on CL last year, what a can of worms it's turned out to be. Still fun to work on though and now I'm even more inspired to get it finished. It's a 1958 Aljo, not Aljoa. At some point the Alcoa aluminum company filed suit against Aljoa so they just dropped the a and called it Aljo. Mine was once part of a pair that two brothers bought brand new along with matching 1958 Chrysler Imperials and they traveled them all over the country with their families.

I am familiar with the name change, on and off for over 20 years now, I have worked in the RV business at times, my buddy owns a RV manufacturing company and I do work for him during the summers and my father who was a general contractor also had an RV business so I did work for him as well. Aljo is still a company to this day manufacturing trailers, my buddies company does warranty work for them.