1984 Starcraft MR-180

Igonator

Recruit
Greetings...been poking around here incognito for a few weeks and found tons of good information.
Bought this boat about 9 years ago. The hull and motor were in pretty good shape, but pretty much everything else not so much. Rotted floorboards, soaking wet foam, etc.... I promptly stripped it completely bare , painted the hull , and rebuilt the trailer. Unfortunately, in regards to the boat, my sons turned out to be decent ballplayers so I’ve spent most weekends the last 8 years touring California’s many youth baseball fields. Ready to get back to business.
First order would seem to be replacing the foam and deck. Found plenty of info here and online about the pros and cons of pour in foam vs cut to fit foam.
My first question would be is there is a consensus here as to which foam is the way to go?
Also, I read here that sealing the inside of the hull with Gluvit is recommended. Is that accurate or is there a better product to use?
My last question is in what order should I tackle the various rebuild stages and if there is a particularly detailed rebuild thread that you can recommend I use as a guide?

Thanks in advance and I’ll post more pictures after she’s emptied and given a good washing.

-Andres

Attachments

• photo298011.png
    photo298011.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • photo298015.png
    photo298015.png
    859.4 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard and to the Starmada :wave:

The Mariner is a great boat but there are few here that have completed their restorations on the MR, not sure why but it seems the prolific SS is the one that gets the most attention. So you may have to look at some of the SS work done since it's the same basic hull.

Rigid foam board is best in my opinion.

Strip hull bare, clean well and then make any repairs needed on the hull ending with a leak test. If rivets are leaking they will need to be addressed, if the seams are leaking the application of Gluvit or Coat-it epoxies are best to seal them up.

Each area needs some special attention such as the transom and knee brace sometimes as you'll see on other threads.

64osby

Admiral
H2OMan is on to something here. There are not many Mariner completions here. Mine is still original and is going for a week long leak test after two years of sitting on the trailer. Life can interrupt boating and projects.

As mentioned above closed cell ridged foam, blue, green or pink from the big box stores, not the white crappy stuff they came with. I have used Gluvit several times and have been very pleased.

Mariners are great, love to see a completed project here.

Welcome to iboats.:thumb: The best Tin boat place on the planet.