1970 Starcraft SS 16' w/70 Evinrude

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Have my new transom in. Finished drilling my holes this evening. Will be buying new bolts, washers, lock nuts and rivets tomorrow. The end caps were originally riveted into the transom wood through a metal sleeves. How do I go about reattaching the end caps on the back 2 holes? I could use screws, but they would work them selves out after time correct?

thanks,
kassun

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You can use screws if they go into the transom wood but pre-drill and use 5200 to seal, otherwise use blind rivets to reattach where it's only AL.

SigSaurP229

Commander
Stating the obvious use stainless screws .. Harbor freight is the cheapest source for them not online

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Picked up a ton of rivets, bolts, stainless screws, lock nuts and a riveting gun last night. Wasn’t sure what size of rivets, never riveted before lol. Sealed all the bolts and screw holes along with the heads where they meet the metal. I’m happy with the outcome. Plan to add a reliable 9.9 kicker this Friday as a fail safe Incase the main outboard craps out. Dads stopping out this evening to help me mount the 70hp motor.

Then I can get all the controls and wiring hooked back up and see how she runs after fixing several wires that were not attached to the bus bar. Fingers crossed all goes well. So I can splash her on Saturday evening.

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Plan to fish out of it this season befor winter hits and then completely gut it out next year 👍🏻

Watermann

Hope all goes well for your shakedown cruise, something always seems to pop up, well at least for me it does.

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, The only thing I foresee is water in the boat. I looked over the entire hull for cracks and holes and didn't see any. But that doesn't mean they're perfect :) I will not be pulling the floors out until next year. I'll have a main bilge set up and a secondary as a precaution. I'll also have a kicker to get me back if necessary. Last night I was able to get the motor reconnected and she fired right up.

I fixed the issues with the wires that were not attached to the bus bar. One thing noted is that the remote switch for the choke doesn't work now. So I will reconnect it as it was previously. Motor shifted without any problems. It will be a slight learning curve to use the push button system for shifting. I am attaching a video of the motor running. Tonight I'll start the electronics tear down from my 16; Northwoods and still have to seal and put in the drains for the boat and splash-well. Here are some of the images from the transom build too.

https://youtu.be/bBW_VlNyhi0

-Kassun

Attachments

• photo298327.png
    photo298327.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • photo298328.png
    photo298328.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo298329.png
    photo298329.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • photo298330.png
    photo298330.png
    2 MB · Views: 1

Watermann

The old 70 sounds pretty healthy, hope she runs good for you under a load on the water.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
She sounds exactly like the 50 that came on my 73 SS and guess what, I blew a fuse while hooking up a harness for the tach and now my remote toggle switch choke does not work!, replaced the fuse and checked everything else, but no electric choke, so I just have to pull the handle out, fire it up from the key switch and then push the choke back off and go boating...

Decker83

Commander
I had a 1969 55 hp rude with the same type shift. You will get use to using it very quick.. That 70 rude does sound good.
Good luck with your outing..:D

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Finished up the wiring around 11pm Friday night with my head lamp on. Spent Saturday morning and afternoon finishing up all the little things that were left. Friday afternoon I picked up a nice 8hp 80’s Evinrude for a kicker. It’s was 90 degrees and humid out Saturday so we went out Saturday evening. Got the boat in the water and went to pump the fuel and noticed that I had them both on backwards with the flow :), lol. I’ll blame that on the heat earlier in the day. Once I solved that issue, the boat fired right up. Reverse worked, but it was very slow coming off the dock. Went through the small no wake channel and opened her up slowly. Motor ran great, nice and fast. Will have to move some batteries around. Two 6 gallon gas tanks on eigher side with starter battery in the middle. And I had a big heavy trolling motor battery outside the sliding panels to run the basics. Will need to get a small battery, since I won’t have a need for a trolling motor. Overall a great success, no water in the boat either 👍🏻.

-Kassun

Watermann

Hey that's some really good news but where's our pics? :lol:

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Will have photos tomorrow :). Picked up a lowrance elite 5ti on Friday. A nice upgrade from my older lowrance elite 4 HDI. Love the touch screen and I can cast the screen to my iPad or kindle fire hd8.

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
Here are a few photos of her in the water. The Lowrance 5 ti was a great upgrade. The touchscreen was nice and responsive. I love the cast feature. I was able to hook up my iPad and Kindle fire hd8 up to it so whether I was fishing on the bow or in back I didn't have to keep turning my head to see the depth finder. I couldn't justify the 200+ to go with the 7" model. I used my older Lowrance transducer with di and will look at upgrading to the total scan next year. Saturday caught several walleye only one in the 14" to 17" slot range, rest were over 18". Sunday fishing was crappy, but always nice to get out. Especially taking notes on what I want to custom build in next year.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.png
    IMG_0258.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0223.png
    IMG_0223.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0260.png
    IMG_0260.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0263.png
    IMG_0263.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0261.png
    IMG_0261.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0259.png
    IMG_0259.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3

Watermann

Good times on the water is why we have boats, nothing like being out there enjoying what you like to do most.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Good to see it on the water and that you caught diner.

But where were you, that looks a bit like a Docks-on-Wheels dock out of Ely.

Decker83

Commander
Nice looking pics.. Great to see you got the evinrude running and catching fish..
I couldn't tell from the pic. Do you have a tach setup?

Kassunmn

Seaman Apprentice
I typical fish on Fish Lake, about 20 min north of Duluth. From my house, it takes me 20 min to drive and launch my boat :). Good walleye fishing, Crapies have been scarce over the past few years. No tach setup, I believe it has the wiring for it though. GPS says 31mph. Weeds have grown up quite a bit where I launch and the intake got clogged Sunday on my way out. Stopped the motor because it over heated, clean off the weeds and let it cool down for an hour while I used my 8hp kicker. Started right up after that hour passed and didn’t have any issues. Will have the local shop go through the entire motor this fall or early spring.