1978 Starcraft 22 ft SS v5 restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
I’m about to start my project too and was wondering where you have been buying the rivets from?

Jay-Cee is where a lot of us get our rivets. They have everything you could need or want in that department.

SHSU

mojoso72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What a great read so far mojo and a fun looking project. I’m about to start my project too and was wondering where you have been buying the rivets from? Also I noticed on mine that one of those transom caps was missing on one side and the repair the previous owner did on it looks pretty good, I can get some pictures of it if you’d like if it’ll help you figure out what to do with the area

Yup, Jay-Cee is where I got them. AS SHSU said, they do have everything you need. Visit the pin in the Starcraft section that waterman did. That was a great help! The only thing I would add is that I would get various lengths in 3/16 rivets up to 9/16 in length. I ran into a few spots that I needed the longer rivets to get through 4 ply's of AL or through a rib that wasn't snug against the hull. The boat is going to be built better than when we got it because i'm more meticulous than those guys at the factory:joyous:

I just ordered some 5/16 rivets too because of a bad repair job done by someone else when my brother had the boat. They drilled the holes to big, even for the rivets they used... I ordered 3/8, but those things looked too large. The point is make sure you have various sized and lengths as waterman mentioned in the pin.

Can't wait to see your project underway!

mojoso72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What a great read so far mojo and a fun looking project. I’m about to start my project too and was wondering where you have been buying the rivets from? Also I noticed on mine that one of those transom caps was missing on one side and the repair the previous owner did on it looks pretty good, I can get some pictures of it if you’d like if it’ll help you figure out what to do with the area

Also, I'd love to see some pics of those caps when you have time! Thx

mojoso72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm thinking about putting a ski locker between the consoles in the floor to maximize storage. Any one have experience with that? I think I saw someone do it in a restore project. Thanks!

mattsteg

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dave did.
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/boa...-starcraft-supersport-v5-restoration?t=427003

I put batteries and a charger down there. I can get some pics (in progress)tomorrow.

I stuck a couple of photos in my thread. My memory is that there's about 5 ft to work with. Easy to put a floor in the space and use for storage as long as you make sure you put sufficient flotation elsewhere.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/own...980-22ft-ss-v5-rework?p=10908951#post10908951

mojoso72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've had to take a little time off. Too much going on lately. We've been making some good headway on the hull! Put in the 3/8 rivet. Glad it worked! I still have to trim it a bit, but it worked;-)

Attachments

• photo338609.jpg
    photo338609.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
  • photo338610.jpg
    photo338610.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 22
  • photo338611.jpg
    photo338611.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Rivet made it!

Man oh man that is a honker :lol:

fetch

mojoso72

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Man oh man that is a honker :lol:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"918","width":"689","src":"https:\/\/forums.iboats.com\/filedata\/fetch?photoid=10922996"**[/IMG2]

Yup! I'm going to have to trim the head down a bit so it doesn't act like a second keel... :D

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
And so the fun begins!!!!!

Have to reuse the image Watermann posted on mine when I started

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Good build! Hope to see it completed soon! I know its been a few, maybe weather slowed it down. Any updates?? A 22’ v5 SS would be my dream project haha. Glad you are keeping it in the family. What a treasure to pass down!

Status
Not open for further replies.