California Chieftain Repair and Resto 1974 18'

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
It is so nice to see a great job completedon these old cabin boats. We see a lot of hopeful starts but few follow throughs as the builders run out of time, money and energy. Congratulations and you will really enjoy your unique old girl.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Agreed, very nice work, and congrates on getting her wet.
She looks good.

Dan

Fat Helen

Seaman Apprentice
Anybody have experience mounting downriggers? The boat came with a manual Scotty downrigger that uses a bolted down bracket on the gunwale. I am skeptical of putting much if any torque on the thin aluminum in the area. Just the antennae and rod holders make the aluminum flex when they are wiggled around. It would really be nice to use it in the ocean rather than sacrificing a big lead ball every fish strike.

Thanks guys,

Dylan.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Anybody have experience mounting downriggers? The boat came with a manual Scotty downrigger that uses a bolted down bracket on the gunwale. I am skeptical of putting much if any torque on the thin aluminum in the area. Just the antennae and rod holders make the aluminum flex when they are wiggled around. It would really be nice to use it in the ocean rather than sacrificing a big lead ball every fish strike.

Thanks guys,

Dylan.

Last ones I mounted, I picked up some aluminum plate and made a backing plate for under the gunwale that stopped the flex in the thin gunwale aluminum, mine were 6 inches longer on each side of center and did not move, then I used stainless with nylock nuts to bolt them through the gunwale and plates.