1978 16ft Super Sport

MNhunter1

Ensign
Thanks everyone!

Started tearing into the motor last night and got the fuel pump and carbs removed. Had to remove the front bracket assembly and starter to get to the carbs, but took lots of pictures with the hopes that I can get everything back together correctly:)

I posted this in the Mercury forum, but didn't get much for response (granted it's only been a day):

I have an 1987 Classic Fifty (45hp), serial B216418. It's been sitting for awhile and I need to do the impeller, carbs, and fuel pump. From what I can tell, the correct kit #'s I need to order are as follows:

Impeller kit - 18-3207
Carb kit(2) - 1395-9650 or 18-7226 (do the whole kit or just the gaskets?)
Fuel pump kit - 18-7817

Does this sound about right? Anything else worth replacing while I'm at it? I heard the original fuel lines can sometimes cause problems. Is there a common/known improved replacement?

These motors with all their little parts and tightly confined spaces can be a bit intimidating for me and my fat little fingers...

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
:eek: yikes Rob. Last time for everything!

stay safe out there MNhunter1

I know the feeling, I still have an old fashion hand warmer in my stuff that has a 30-30 bullet in it, that got put there when I was 16 and a guy shot at a "deer" across a canyon, problem is, it was in my left chest pocket at the time!

:eek:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I know the feeling, I still have an old fashion hand warmer in my stuff that has a 30-30 bullet in it, that got put there when I was 16 and a guy shot at a "deer" across a canyon, problem is, it was in my left chest pocket at the time!

:eek:

Holy smokes!! What's your first name? Lucky?

MMNhunter1 I would do whole kit on carb rebuild. Never know what you may find in there. Also fuel lines are good idea to replace and thermostat(s) good to knock that stuff out and know what you have.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Alright...carbs rebuilt, fuel pump rebuilt, fuel filter replaced, all fuel lines looked to still be good, new spark plugs, impeller replaced, and the ‘87 Classic Fifty is now mounted on the 16SS. The throttle cable is giving me some fits, and my brief attempt to turn her over was unsuccessful, but I’ll give her a little more attention once the Nova is straightened out.

Some days I’m tempted to just go buy a new motor and be done with it, but what fun would that be:)

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi MNhunter1,

The boats look awesome! I really like those fishing rod holders on the back of the white boat. Where would a guy finds those if he were looking for them?

MNhunter1

Ensign
Hi MNhunter1,

The boats look awesome! I really like those fishing rod holders on the back of the white boat. Where would a guy finds those if he were looking for them?

Thanks FIGMO,

I have 48" Bert's Tracks on both of the boats. The actual rod holders are a mix of Bert's and Scotty Power Locks and Rocket Launchers with the Scotty's using track adapters (the Bert's slide in without adapters). I've got a few different combinations I was playing around with and just had a bunch on there to test them out.

I also have a Cabela's Quick Stow Rod Rack that fits into any of my Springfield seat bases temporarily occupying space in the bow of the SS...w/ a few of the kids bobber rods:)

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks FIGMO,

I have 48" Bert's Tracks on both of the boats. The actual rod holders are a mix of Bert's and Scotty Power Locks and Rocket Launchers with the Scotty's using track adapters (the Bert's slide in without adapters). I've got a few different combinations I was playing around with and just had a bunch on there to test them out.

I also have a ******** Quick Stow Rod Rack that fits into any of my Springfield seat bases temporarily occupying space in the bow of the SS...w/ a few of the kids bobber rods:)

Hello again MN,

Yes it is the Rocket Launchers, I like the look and the name!

Thx for the info!

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Success! Cutting the front casting deck was a task I wasn't exactly looking forward to. I tend to have paralysis by analysis and without an old deck to use as a template, I pondered over how to do it most effectively. I ended up using the joggle stick method and found it to be rather brilliant. Aside from a sore back, it worked out perfectly. I still have some fitting to do for the void left at the bow, backers to add for the pedestal mount, hatches to cut in, and seal and vinyl...not to mention the aluminum support structure to build, but getting this deck piece cut and fit was a big hurdle for me.

Now, to figure out the best tactics for chasing turkeys in the snow...opening day on Weds here in MN and another storm in the forecast!

MNhunter1,

I haven't see you for a while so I am hoping you are still monitoring this site. I had a question reference your front casting deck. Did you find that the deck supports along the side of the hull were not even in height with the supports you constructed for the center?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome back :wave:

I got your PM about the Merc needing some work. It's best to post in the open forum to help others who are researching similar issues. I've used the Merc forum here to ask questions and search for answers. It should be pretty easy to copy and post up your questions there. Post a link here after you start the thread. :joyous:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...iner-outboards

MNhunter1

Ensign
Time to blow the dust off this one. Completed boat has been sitting in my garage for the past 2 years now. Just need to get the motor running and get her wet again. Looking at a no spark issue on a 1987 Classic Fifty I need to work through. Uncharted territory for me, so may need some guidance along the way. This forum has been a great help over the years and I'm looking forward to diving back it. Cheers!

MNhunter1

Ensign
Welcome back :wave:

I got your PM about the Merc needing some work. It's best to post in the open forum to help others who are researching similar issues. I've used the Merc forum here to ask questions and search for answers. It should be pretty easy to copy and post up your questions there. Post a link here after you start the thread. :joyous:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...iner-outboards

Started a thread on the Mercury forum with a link to this thread as well. How do I add links in the bottom of my profile?
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/eng...utboards/10843901-1987-classic-fifty-no-spark

MNhunter1

Ensign
Just a quick update...

Received a replacement tilt/trim harness for my Mercury to replace my spliced wires. Original harness from the motor had the three prong plug cut off and was able to find a replacement. New multi meter arrived the day after I just decided to swap out the switchbox, stator, and trigger since I had replacements on hand anyway. Switchbox has been replaced and flywheel nut has been removed, but it looks like my flywheel puller wont arrive until the end of the month. I have a lifting ring for the motor, but not the bolt or cap to use it as a puller, so had to order a new one. I suppose I could have just sourced a bolt locally, but with our current environment, just decided to order online. Rigged up a bracket out of 1/2" ply for holding and grounding all 4 spark plugs for ease of observing for spark and found a suitable tub to place the lower unit in and fill with water to prevent having to pull the boat in and out of the garage to run the muffs until I get my spark back. Also received the Mercury service manual I ordered appropriate for the motor. Had a bunch of downloaded troubleshooting references, sheets, etc., but nice to finally have the correct manual.

MNhunter1

Ensign
Flywheel puller finally arrived yesterday afternoon. Swapped in the new stator and trigger and had spark return on all 4 cylinders. Pulled her out in the driveway, hooked her up to the muffs, and after a little resistance, the ‘87 Merc fired back to life after over 10 years of rest. The rains came and back into the garage she went for some final touch ups, registration, and a future splash.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Congrats!! Lookin' forward to the splash!! :thumb: