1974 Starcraft SS16 Restortation

budski

Lieutenant Commander
That's looking really good Ron, you're in the home stretch now

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Guys,
It’s been a while, for whatever reason I have been incredibly busy this summer. I did not have the time or energy to do any posts during August. Sorry about that. I did stick to a regime of taking pics on some developments with the boat. However, I might be a bit out of sequence with some of the posts. So bear with me.

Things are slowing down, so I am trying to catch up on posts. I am trying to figure out the size of the areas that I have to cover with vinyl and carpet. I will put vinyl on all the horizontal surfaces, and carpet on all the vertical surfaces.

I took the actual measurements and then added 4” to every measurement to account for the fabric that will be wrapped around the individual pieces of wood. For example, the side live well measurements were 36” x 12”, that works out to 40’ x 16’ for that piece. However for the carpet on the inside of the back stern area the measurement is 22” x 20”, the actual size as there is no need to wrap the carpet around anything.

The following pics are a view to the madness that goes on inside my head:

Click image for larger version  Name:	35.png Views:	1 Size:	430.2 KB ID:	10801314

Click image for larger version  Name:	36.png Views:	1 Size:	489.3 KB ID:	10801315

Click image for larger version  Name:	37.png Views:	1 Size:	438.5 KB ID:	10801316

Click image for larger version  Name:	38.png Views:	1 Size:	534.2 KB ID:	10801317

Click image for larger version  Name:	39.png Views:	1 Size:	54.6 KB ID:	10801318

This is how I was figuring out how much carpet I would need based on the runs being 96" in length.

Click image for larger version  Name:	40.PNG Views:	1 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	10801319

And the vinyl at 72" in length.

Click image for larger version  Name:	41.PNG Views:	1 Size:	31.2 KB ID:	10801320

Click image for larger version  Name:	42.PNG Views:	1 Size:	79.4 KB ID:	10801321
At the end of the day I figure I need 7 yards of carpet and 8 yards of vinyl.

And yes that was pretty convoluted.

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Sure glad you did the math on that Ron, but it sounds about right

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I usually order way too much material and have been glad I did but that looks like spare time fun to do all those calculations and graphics. :thumb:

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Gents,

A great day today. John Senior hooked me up with some nice vinyl and carpet today. Thanks John, really appreciate it!:)

I already measured and cut the vinyl for the main deck, but before I show those pics I have some painting pictures for you. Like I said, way behind on posts, but took lots of pics so here we go.

Click image for larger version  Name:	43.jpg Views:	1 Size:	140.3 KB ID:	10802961
started taping everything off for painting. Next few pics will be of the boat and garage getting taped and plastic.

Click image for larger version  Name:	44.jpg Views:	1 Size:	227.4 KB ID:	10802962

Click image for larger version  Name:	45.jpg Views:	1 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	10802963
Click image for larger version  Name:	46.jpg Views:	1 Size:	135.5 KB ID:	10802964
Click image for larger version  Name:	47.jpg Views:	1 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	10802965
Click image for larger version  Name:	48.jpg Views:	1 Size:	126.4 KB ID:	10802966
Click image for larger version  Name:	49.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	10802967

Click image for larger version  Name:	50.jpg Views:	1 Size:	103.5 KB ID:	10802968
All the primer went on really well no issues. The spray gun worked like a charm throughout. Next pics will be the final coat on the boat.

Watermann

Dang lots of plastic wrapping going on, Dexter would be proud of your skills :lol:

I love using my spray gun, glad you're enjoying using yours and things are working out.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Dang lots of plastic wrapping going on, Dexter would be proud of your skills :lol:

I love using my spray gun, glad you're enjoying using yours and things are working out.

Yup I love the spray gun, but hate the over spray.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
A question for the community. I have the Nautolex vinyl for the boat, but I am wondering if I have to fill my seams between the deck boards. If so, what is the best material to use in filling the gaps between the deck boards?

Post #227 and #228 show the seams the best:

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/own...55634-1974-starcraft-ss16-restortation/page16

I'd definitely fill those seams and get whatever you fill them with as smooth as possible.

I use epoxy and fairing filler (then top everything with fiberglass).

br3TAnz.jpg

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'd definitely fill those seams and get whatever you fill them with as smooth as possible.

I use epoxy and fairing filler (then top everything with fiberglass).

br3TAnz.jpg

Hey CCat good advice, greatly appreciated.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Again,

Some pictures of the boat with the sapphire blue paint. I am pretty happy with the finished product. It ain't perfect but I am happy with it. I did have problems with the tape pulling the primer from the trim, so I will have to fix that up later on in the spring.

I"m thinking that the blue with different shades of grey from the carpet and vinyl should look very nice. Especially when I fire up the LED blue deck lights. Pics as follows:

58.jpg
good shot from where the paint pulled the primer away from the trim. I have already sanded this, and will hand brush the primer on and let it sit until next spring when I will finally finish the trim on the boat.

51.jpg

52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg
Last shot, I drilled the holes on the port and starboard side for the live well and bilge pump. I kept the holes symmetrical on either side for a balanced appearance.

Some vinyl shots next!

Watermann

Looking really good there! :thumb: I do like the blue on a boat, it's always in style and timeless.

If that rubrail or trim still has the anodizing on it, nothing will stick to it.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Gents,

Well it has been a while, mostly because I don't work in the winter (no heater in the garage). I do have some pictures of the vinyl going in from last fall that I forgot to post. All in all it went pretty good. Thanks to Budski for helping me out with the vinyl and carpet. I am confident that I have enough to do everything.

I went to store and picked up some brown shipping paper, bought about three rolls. I used it as templates for the decking and along the sides. Once I measured it out, I added an extra inch all the around just to be sure I didn't short change myself on the measurements. I want the deck vinyl to come up the sides about an inch so I could overlap the carpet on top. That should allow water to drain straight down and on to the deck vinyl vice under it.

As Classic recommended, I used epoxy filler for the joints on the deck boards. It was a power filler added to the epoxy mix, and then you spread it on and level it. After drying, I sanded it smooth, but I didn't get quite enough on the back seam so I ended up with a bit of a lip. You will see it in the first 2 photo, but it really isn't that bad.

I did one continuous section for the deck boards. After reading others' accounts of trying to install one continuous run, I decided to lay the vinyl out for fit. Once I was happy with the layout, I secured the front half with some weight, and then rolled the stern section into the middle of the boat. From there I laid 12 to 18 inches of contact cement from side to side and rolled the vinyl toward the stern. That seemed to work really well and the vinyl didn't shift on me. After I had the back half of the boat done, I repeat the process working from the center of the boat to the bow. I didn't have to worry about shifting as the rear half of the vinyl was already well anchored to the deck on the back half of the boat. It was a good thing I added the extra inch to the circumference of the deck vinyl as it came almost exactly one inch on the side.

and now some pictures:

Click image for larger version  Name:	01.jpg Views:	1 Size:	185.9 KB ID:	10829876
The seam is visible in the next two shots, but the angle of the picture with the way the light is coming in the garage makes it look worse than it is. You can see that the vinyl just coming up the inside of the hull.

Click image for larger version  Name:	02.jpg Views:	1 Size:	171.2 KB ID:	10829877
Better picture of the vinyl wrapping up the side.

Click image for larger version  Name:	03.jpg Views:	1 Size:	178.9 KB ID:	10829878
A little front to back action.

Click image for larger version  Name:	04.jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.4 KB ID:	10829879
The paper templates saved me a ton of hassles. I was quite happy with the way the carpet overlaid the vinyl. I threw the casting deck in for reference. I actually started on it first to make sure I knew what I was doing with the contact cement and vinyl. I was very happy with the results on that was well. I love the contrasting greys against the sapphire blue.

Click image for larger version  Name:	05.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.7 KB ID:	10829880
More of the same. While the lower deck is clear of rivets, the casting deck will be riveted in through the vinyl so...meh.

Click image for larger version  Name:	06.jpg Views:	1 Size:	144.0 KB ID:	10829881
Above and the following some of my craft work to make the templates. This really did help me a lot.

Click image for larger version  Name:	07.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.0 KB ID:	10829882
I think I have some more carpet pictures somewhere. When I find them I will post them up. I did do the console fronts, not sure where I saved those pics??

I am almost at the point where I can get started on the wiring, but will have to install the supporting frame for the casting deck first. I cannot do that until I install the consoles, and dry fit the console front. The carpet adds a fair amount to the measurements. Once I do that I can dry fit the supporting frame with the casting deck on top. Once I am sure that everything fits correctly, then I can go ahead and anchor the supporting frame. Then I can run all the wiring, test it, and then secure the casting deck on top.

Spring and warmer temperatures can't come soon enough.

Last edited:

Watermann

Nice to see some pics of boat work and the vinyl looks good to me, nothing can ever be perfect no matter how hard we try.

I'm looking forward to some warm spring weather too, walleye pre spawn fishing is about here..

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Nice work!!

Do I see you trying to add vinyl to the side as well? I did that in mine and if I had the chance to do it again, I would paint. Getting the vinyl to stick to the aluminum and stay over time has been a pain...

SHSU

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice work!!

Do I see you trying to add vinyl to the side as well? I did that in mine and if I had the chance to do it again, I would paint. Getting the vinyl to stick to the aluminum and stay over time has been a pain...

SHSU

Hey SHSU,

I am putting the vinyl on all horizontal surfaces, and carpet on all vertical surfaces. I did wrap the vinyl about an inch up the side so I can overlap the carpet on top and all for water drainage directly onto the deck of the boat. I will put the vinyl as a covering over the dashboards for the two consoles.

Congrats on the splash BTW, the boat looks really nice. You must happy to be able to enjoy it now!

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the vinyl/carpet on the vertical surfaces, but couldn't get a good adhesion. Used 3M 80 Vinyl Spray and 3M 90 on my first round. It stuck well for the plywood, but the adluminum surfaces just couldn't get it to stay up. Went back and fixed a couple areas with some carpet glue from HD but even that has failed overtime in some areas. I did use some JB Weld in a touch up area and that still has held strong, but that isn't a viable solution plus it doesn't bend.

Hope you find an adhesive that works well. Then you can let me know so I can use it to fix my areas.

Thanks on the splash, it has been nice to have it in the water and done finally. Really looking forward to this summer for some real play time.

SHSU

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of the vinyl/carpet on the vertical surfaces, but couldn't get a good adhesion. Used 3M 80 Vinyl Spray and 3M 90 on my first round. It stuck well for the plywood, but the adluminum surfaces just couldn't get it to stay up. Went back and fixed a couple areas with some carpet glue from HD but even that has failed overtime in some areas. I did use some JB Weld in a touch up area and that still has held strong, but that isn't a viable solution plus it doesn't bend.

Hope you find an adhesive that works well. Then you can let me know so I can use it to fix my areas.

SHSU

I will post a photo of the stuff I have later today.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay so it’s been a while, but it is not because I have given up on the project. We have suffered through almost 9 months of cold wet crappy weather. Started right after the Labour Day long weekend, and finished the first week of May. Very unusual for Winnipeg, but there you go. That coupled with the Covid-19 has made me a little stir crazy! Cabin fever set in for a while there.

:smow:

Okay so now that is out of the way, I have been working on the boat for about three weeks with some pretty good progress. I have been taking a bunch of pictures so I have some catching up to do.

Linking back to my last post in Feb of this year, I will continue on with some images of carpet and vinyl going into the boat. It’s a bit cool today, so I don’t feel like doing wiring in the cold, about 12 degree C and windy.

Enjoy the pics!

Click image for larger version  Name:	08.jpg Views:	1 Size:	183.7 KB ID:	10872399 All the carpet and vinyl went in really well. Big shout out to Bud for helping get the goods! BTW Bud I might need some more contact cement. The good news is that I had just the right amount of carpet and vinyl with a little left over to spare. :joyous:

Click image for larger version  Name:	09.jpg Views:	1 Size:	274.4 KB ID:	10872400 When I was measuring out the vinyl I decided to add an extra inch all the way around just to be sure. This turned out to be the right choice as I had enough vinyl on the sides that I was able to wrap it about an inch up on both sides. It should funnel water nicely to the back without running down the sides of the deck. Plus things dropped on the deck won't roll under it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	1 Size:	193.9 KB ID:	10872401

Click image for larger version  Name:	11.jpg Views:	1 Size:	186.7 KB ID:	10872402

Click image for larger version  Name:	12.jpg Views:	1 Size:	223.9 KB ID:	10872403

Click image for larger version  Name:	13.jpg Views:	1 Size:	202.9 KB ID:	10872404 Poor picture quality, but you can see that the splash well, consoles and the side runners for the side panels are now all painted.

Next will be some pictures of the trim painted.