1974 Starcraft SS16 Restortation

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Things are going well here in Stoon, busy being a dad and working for a living. I just did some side work for my neighbor, he's going to let me use his shop for a few weeks while he's out of town. I haven't been doing any work on the boat lately just stockpiling materials and ideas. I have some wire size charts saved on my ideabooks profile if you need any info

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey Knezzer,

Same for me, although my youngest is 23 so he doesn't require the same amount of maintenance. Pretty much just reading and looking at what I need for when the weather warms up and I can get back to work. I am really getting the itch to get to work on the boat. I have been reading through previous builds and capturing specific information into a word document that I can use as a single source document for when I do get back to work.

That is great that your neighbour is letting you use his shop. It would be nice to have a heated place to do some work.

I would greatly appreciate looking at the wiring charts. I am currently looking at different items for the boat, paying attention to amp requirements and cable gauges. I really need to get back at the boat and start figuring out wire lengths, and how I intend to run them through the boat.

Look forward to seeing what you get done in the shop!

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try clicking on my profile, I've saved the wire charts there for easy access, and I think that you can save them on yours as well. I also keep a file on my computer full of stuff that I want to use for my build. "boat stuff"

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Try clicking on my profile, I've saved the wire charts there for easy access, and I think that you can save them on yours as well. I also keep a file on my computer full of stuff that I want to use for my build. "boat stuff"

That is really coo! I did not know we could do that.

Thanks for the help, those charts are great.

Tulkas

Recruit
FIGMO, thank you for the many posts!

I have a 1976 16' SS and am looking for a warm dry garage to begin a rebuild. This is most helpful.

I look forward to seeing the foam installed

Best,
Tulkas

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
FIGMO, thank you for the many posts!

I have a 1976 16' SS and am looking for a warm dry garage to begin a rebuild. This is most helpful.

I look forward to seeing the foam installed

Hi Tulkas!

Lots of really good informative posts here for our boats. I probably won't be getting to mine for another 6 weeks or so.

Hope to see your posts soon.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Gents,

Been a while since I have posted anything, haven't had a lot to add. I have mostly been reading waiting for warmer weather. However, by a fluke coincidence I just happened to meet Budski today! It would appear that we live in the same city, and I was taking some work to his son (also John) for my SS16. Needless to say I am seriously happy to have Budski and his son to turn to for support and advice as I go through this restoration. :triumphant:

On another note, I just realized that I can't spell and I was wondering if it would be possible to correct the spelling on the title of my restoration, which I misspelled Restortation. Grrrrrr

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Small world eh that's pretty cool. haha I never noticed the spelling until you mentioned it...

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay, after six months of inactivity due to colder weather, I am back at it. I can't believe how long winter held onto us here in Manitoba.

Following Waterman's advice I drill out the Z brace and the transom brace. Good thing I did as the Z brace was cracked. I will have to take it Budski's son to get it fixed (both actually).

Some pics of the damage:

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180421_143210.jpg Views:	1 Size:	111.5 KB ID:	10561088

I am pretty sure Budski's son can fix this up with no problem

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180421_152653.jpg Views:	1 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	10561089

Same for the transom brace

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180421_150142.jpg Views:	1 Size:	138.8 KB ID:	10561090

A whole lot of goo under that transom brace

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180421_144213.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	10561091

I am thinking about moving the drain to center. I have seen a few others do and it make sense. It would sure help to eliminate the goo build up problem.

Next step will be to get some cleaning vinegar, and get to work on the transom skin. I have to pick up about 50 solid rivets, 2500 etc. I am hoping to put the broken piece back in by next week.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Everyone,

I took a fine steel brush to the corrosion and rust on the inside of the transom skin. I Cleaned it up with acetone and cleaning vinegar. There was a fair amount of pitting in the aluminum. As recommended I filled the pits with JB Weld Marine. I have gone through three packages of that stuff already, and I think I will need another three packs for the rest of the pitting and holes I need to fill. I have yet to sand it down, but it is on pretty smooth. I need to go back to my original photos to determine what holes in the transom need to be filled as there are extras in there. Here are some pictures of the transom.

Attachments

• photo289844.jpg
    photo289844.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 9
  • photo289845.jpg
    photo289845.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 9
  • photo289846.jpg
    photo289846.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 9
  • photo289847.jpg
    photo289847.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo289848.jpg
    photo289848.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 9

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a few things I wanted to post today, too much for one post. Some things I have been doing:

1. I got my transom brace back, and think it looks quite good. Looks really solid. Pictures attached.

2. I picked up some SE primer, but I could not find the Rustoleum brand. See picture of what I do have, not sure if it is the right kind. Maybe someone can advise if I am good to go with this brand?

3. I was also able to locate some 5200 marine sealant. I think I said 2500 last time, probably confused people.

4. I want to start striping paint from the hull, but I cannot find any aircraft paint remover. Being in Canada most of the good stuff is restricted. Does anyone in Canada have a recommendation for a good paint stripper that actually works?

5. Also looking for something available in Canada to strip off the glue from the inside of the hull.

More to follow tomorrow. I am picking up solid rivets and buck bar to get the transom brace back in.

Attachments

• photo289849.jpg
    photo289849.jpg
    212.8 KB · Views: 56
  • photo289850.jpg
    photo289850.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 15
  • photo289851.jpg
    photo289851.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 13
  • photo289852.jpg
    photo289852.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 15

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Knee brace looks good alright :thumb:

fetch

It appears you've got handle on the corrosion pitting, SE prime / paint the inside and it should be good to go for a very long time.

On the primer, what formula is that Duplicolor oil base or? I've seen some Rusto aluminum primer before that is latex and I would stay away from that but otherwise any oil base will be fine.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I had a few things I wanted to post today, too much for one post. Some things I have been doing:

1. I got my transom brace back, and think it looks quite good. Looks really solid. Pictures attached.

2. I picked up some SE primer, but I could not find the Rustoleum brand. See picture of what I do have, not sure if it is the right kind. Maybe someone can advise if I am good to go with this brand?

3. I was also able to locate some 5200 marine sealant. I think I said 2500 last time, probably confused people.

4. I want to start striping paint from the hull, but I cannot find any aircraft paint remover. Being in Canada most of the good stuff is restricted. Does anyone in Canada have a recommendation for a good paint stripper that actually works?

5. Also looking for something available in Canada to strip off the glue from the inside of the hull.

More to follow tomorrow. I am picking up solid rivets and buck bar to get the transom brace back in.
Have you tried a stainless wire cup to remove the glue?

M2HB

Petty Officer 1st Class
That brace is certainly going to keep the transom stiff. I like it.

That glue they use under the carpet seems to be one of the most difficult items to deal with when it comes to removal.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice repair on the brace! Budski and son do great work....too bad they're so far away for me.
As for removing the sc glue they used back in the day, I chose to carpet the inside hull of my re-do. Easy to prep for and the carpeting dampens the noise these tinnies resonate, imo. I hear ya on the lack of product availability we Canadians endure compared to our American brothers.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
On the primer, what formula is that Duplicolor oil base or? I've seen some Rusto aluminum primer before that is latex and I would stay away from that but otherwise any oil base will be fine.

It states that it is vinyl polymer based paint??? I don't know if that is enamel or latex....

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have you tried a stainless wire cup to remove the glue?

I have not tried the wire cup yet. I have one, but I was hoping to go the chemical route first. I could try the Goop be gone stuff. I just hate wasting money on products that don't work.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Nice repair on the brace! Budski and son do great work....too bad they're so far away for me.
As for removing the sc glue they used back in the day, I chose to carpet the inside hull of my re-do. Easy to prep for and the carpeting dampens the noise these tinnies resonate, imo. I hear ya on the lack of product availability we Canadians endure compared to our American brothers.

I was up in the air on whether to use carpet or the Nautolex vinyl that a lot of guys have been using. I was leaning toward the vinyl as I figured it would be easier to keep clean. The noise could be an issue, but this boat wasn't that bad last summer. Even though it was in pretty rough shape.