Bimini + Downriggers on '76 16' SS

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'll be picking up a '76 SS on Sunday that I'll be doing some modifications to. Definitely not a complete restore like some of the beauties I've seen on here but more like some spit shining :)

One of the first things I want to do is to put a Bimini Top and down riggers on it for Kokanee fishing but I'm having a hard time figuring out the best configuration for the Bimini so that it wont interfere with the downriggers if it's in the collapsed position. Would the best thing be to have it rest on the top of the windshield in the collapsed position? Any other suggestions?

I've already learned a ton about these boats in the short time i've been stalking around and I'll be sure to post pictures of my boat when it's in my hands.

Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Were you planning on keeping the bimini laid down flat when not in use? If so, consider keeping the bimini still folded up in it's boot but have support poles to keep it upright.
Bimini-Storage-Boot-2009-b_fu.jpg

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
When I use my top I always drop it forward, but I also use quick disconnect mounts (pins) with several mounting location options, that way when trailering or not using it I can put it in the forward mount that allows it to clear the windshield and lay flat on the bow. Some biminis extend back further too, so this helps.

​I normally run three downriggers and 6 rods for Kokanee, but no stacking, one DR off the stern and one on each side 4' or so up from the stern, on the bigger boat we run 12 rods.

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Were you planning on keeping the bimini laid down flat when not in use? If so, consider keeping the bimini still folded up in it's boot but have support poles to keep it upright.
Bimini-Storage-Boot-2009-b_fu.jpg
Yes, I'd like to keep it folded in it's boot when not in use. But if i lay it back towards the stern I'm afraid it would get in the way of the downriggers that will be mounted on the gunwales.

IDFISHER

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I use my top I always drop it forward, but I also use quick disconnect mounts (pins) with several mounting location options, that way when trailering or not using it I can put it in the forward mount that allows it to clear the windshield and lay flat on the bow. Some biminis extend back further too, so this helps.

​I normally run three downriggers and 6 rods for Kokanee, but no stacking, one DR off the stern and one on each side 4' or so up from the stern, on the bigger boat we run 12 rods.

I like the idea of extra mounting bracket so I can lay it in multiple configurations. Thanks for the tip!

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Here's the view from under the bimini on my 18' chieftain. I fabricated an aluminum downrigger board with c channel.

3EC9P84.jpg

qRB0RfS.jpg

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, I'd like to keep it folded in it's boot when not in use. But if i lay it back towards the stern I'm afraid it would get in the way of the downriggers that will be mounted on the gunwales.
Have the poles going forward instead.