my new old 1988 ss20v

ab59

Ensign
Ok , i'm done with the White , on the stern anyway , and good bad or uuugly it is what it is . Looks otay to me anyway . Now the Blue really looks shabby . I will have to clean up the Blue as good as possible and then make my mind up but am leaning towards the repaint. At least I can put the outdrive and transom plates back together , going to wait a few days though till i'm sure the paint is cured good.
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey the 3 pics didn't come though on your last post, just some broken link boxes.

ab59

Ensign
been having trouble getting this posted at all. had to post twice and many of my other programs are acting odd as well. I will try it again.

DSC02598.JPGDSC02600.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02599.JPG
    DSC02599.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Watermann

There ya go, pics are showing now. Nice work there, should be about ready for the transom assembly. :encouragement:

ab59

Ensign
Spent all day prepping for the Blue paint at the stern , well , except the bit of time I took to shoot a couple of quail for the BBQ later this week. At three i shot the first coat with no problems except the it was a little difficult to see the wet line and how heavy the spray was but it turned out pretty good. At 4:00 i fixed up a second coat and it was really dark because of all the smoke and we had some could blow in and i was practically painting by braille and boy does that coat show it. I've got a run about three fee long . Guess I should have just waited till tomorrow to shoot the last one cause I WILL be shooting another coat after i sand out my boo boo's from today and re-shoot tomorrow anyway !
Will get some pics tomorrow .
Thought I'd be slappin the transom assembly back together tomorrow but the best laid plans often go wrong around here.

ab59

Ensign
Any advise on getting a long sag out of the paint while it is still sticky ? At least I like this color of blue , now if I can just get it right this time !

DSC02603.JPGDSC02604.JPGDSC02601.JPG

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
About the only thing I have ever done is to put a heat lamp on it and let it cure so it can be sanded and blended in before the next coat.

ab59

Ensign
yep ,me too . i put a Halogen light up to where the sag is to help it dry but it's cooling off all the sudden here and takes a while for the paint to set up. Was hoping someone had a quicker way of smoothing the paint while it was still semi wet to save some time but i guess i will have to stick with the old ways here. Rain forecast for next Wednesday so would like to get the major stuff done before that like the transom plate , gimble ring outdrive and engine before the storm. Can still make it it i stop screwing things up.

ab59

Ensign
I had a look at those files through your link and I think i'll just stay with the ol sanding block. Those toys are a might pricey for me right now so guess i'll just do it the old way. thanks.

ab59

Ensign
spilled a little more paint on the stern today a couple of times and as far as the way the paint went on it looks ok to me with no runs or sags but it is no shiny like the first time. More of a satin non shiny look. Maybe its just the way the light is hitting it , will see tomorrow.
Here are some pics----

DSC02608.JPGDSC02608.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02611.JPG
    DSC02611.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02612.JPG
    DSC02612.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02609.JPG
    DSC02609.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

ab59

Ensign
Anyone have an idea of what caused the difference in paint color in this job ? If you look at the picks in post #466 -----

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC02601.JPG Views:	2 Size:	1.14 MB ID:	10680994
in comparison to these last pics in my last post you see it looks as if I used two different paints ! Note the mirror finish in the first job and the dull appearance in the last job but they are the same paint applied the same way .
Any ideas ? I was looking forward to the kind of finish in the first shoot and got something that I'm not real thrilled about .

the final result-----

DSC02613.JPGDSC02614.JPG

Attachments

• DSC02601.JPG
    DSC02601.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

bchaney

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's weird. Maybe because the first coat was heavy and the second was light? I would think you'd need a heavy enough coat to get a good sheen, but I'm no expert.

Watermann

The paints finish can be different for a couple reasons, gun settings changed and how much paint is laid on, there has to be enough paint in the layer applied to lay down in order to have shine.

ab59

Ensign
The only things that I can think of that were different between the two jobs were #1 I used a 1000 watt light to help warm up the surface but did not shoot when hot but it seems like if that was the problem the outward ends would have been a different finish as well . #2 I saved the unused paint from the first job that had already been thinned with Mineral Spirits and then mixed a little more paint into the can before shooting the second job , could the paint I kept for a couple of days after thinning have cause this ? The gun was set up to shoot about the same as the first job and I even opened it up a little on the second coat . Paint was a little thicker mix on the second job as I did not add any thinner when I added some more paint in for the last job.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I never mix old paint and new paint, because of exactly what you have run into, thinners can oxidize even in a can once exposed to the air and there is no way to cap the can without trapping air in there. The only thing I do, is write my mix down and then mix a new batch for each shoot, I don't keep older paint because you can't really predict what it will do. If you want to make sure they are close, you have to mix a new batch. You don't get the same evaporation rates either when it is drying which can cause variations as well

ab59

Ensign
MTboatguy---that sure sounds like what happened to me and oxidation is exactly what i thought it looked like , dang . I guess I can re shoot it when i paint the sides of the boat .
You know , somewhere in the back of my mind I knew that I should not use the older paint . I had really saved it to paint some of the attachments for my garden tractor but went ahead and used it on the boat anyway.
Live and learn i guess, thanks .

Watermann

Oh yeah the paint with reducer being added to more paint is not a good mix. Dang that sucks.

ab59

Ensign
The older I get the more I am reminded that I just don't Quite Understand all I know 'bout what I'm doin !!! :noidea: