1984 Starcraft 16ft Glutton for Punishment [Splashed July 2019]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
The CAD drawings are great. It's awesome to have the admiral joining the fun!

I saw a build somewhere (can't remember where), the guy custom built his tank and he added dampers inside the tank. I thought it was a really good idea. They serve to stop the fuel from sloshing around throwing weight everywhere. All that fuel sloshing front to back or side to side could impact handling a lot.

Yes the fuel tank has to have baffles inside it.

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Thanks Guys,
Will pass the compliment on to the Admiral. She has been very supportive and was my plus 2 for the solid rivets we redid.

As for the fuel tank, its not shown very clearly but I do have 2 baffles at 16 and 32. Some of the stuff isn't shown to well, like the fill tube that attaches to nothing and the vent/feed tubes that have no barbs. Just stuff I had to verbally pass on to my welder.

Decker83 I agree with needing an edge. Originally the Admiral agreed to draw it up since my welder couldn't get a good idea of what I was trying to get across with what I wanted. Thought about adding the sub structure but without knowing what kind of materiel he would be using I only provided final size measurements. With that being said, in a quick chat with welder he will use some angle iron as well as breaking edges for stiffness.

I want the back deck sturdy enough for me walking on it as well as supporting the bait tanks that will be installed in those cut outs shown. Will be using two 13 x 17 Tempress Hatches with liners for bait tanks. Plus side is, if not fishing they can also be used for extra coolers.

The two front storage areas on the splashwell design will have a hinge and top so I can install seats. Plus the distance between the seats allows for a 28 inch cooler to fit in between the seats.

Watermann

On my hatch liners I used the self adhesive HVAC duct wrap to insulate the sides and bottom.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
The Admiral helped out with riveting, that's great! I haven't even considered asking my wife to help me with that. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that it's not something either of you do everyday, and ask how it went. I'm a little nervous about doing it because I heard you can crack your hull if you over do it. Then again I'm a nervous guy by nature.

SHSU

Watermann That is a smart idea. I was thinking about using the 2 inch foam for flotation to support the bottom, but hadn't put much thoughts into the sides. How has the adhesive held up to all the water/condensation?

66Holiday924 You are correct that its not something we do/ever have done. It was definitely a learning experience. I will jump over to your thread and ask a couple questions and give some of our lessons learned

On another note, got the below e-mail back from Tempress regarding 12 inch deep liners

[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Hello Justin,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Our apologies for the delay. The product does measure 10.5” deep and the item you have is not defective. The website is in fact incorrect. I’m very sorry for this error. Our site has been updated and we appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Please let me know if you have any further questions.[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Thank you,[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Kim Mendoza[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] | [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]CSM[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]
image005.jpg@01D39B7B.BF52E580
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]5052 Sharp Street, Dallas, Texas 75247[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]Office 214.678.9400 x 2233 | Fax: 214.678.9430[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]kim@tempress.com[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]| [/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]www.tempress.com[/FONT][FONT=Calibri,sans-serif]/catalog[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman,serif]
image006.jpg@01D39B7B.BF52E580

So looks like every website that sells the liner is mislabeled LOL.
[/FONT]

Watermann

So far with the insulation there is no condensation on the outside, that's another reason I used the insulation, the self adhesive on the stuff I used is almost like roofing type material not the light foam with just a tacky surface. Got it at the HD.

SHSU

Thanks WM, I will have to remember that when the time comes.

SHSU

Been really busy with work and family, so not much time to work on the boat, but was as able to sneak out and do a little this weekend.

Photo 1/2/3: Pictures of Transom and one of the voids that I was filling with epoxy. Also took a picture of the "tools" I used to fill said voids. Several of them took quite a bit of epoxy.

Photo 4/5: Started to add some foam to the boat. I was able to get a full sheet of 2 x 4 x 8 in her; however, that is only 5.33 cubic feet of flotation. From what I have been reading, I need approximately 11 cubic feet. I am not sure how I am going to make up that difference. I think the wood is negligible and should be buoyant by itself, but can't count on that to help support if the worst happens.

Attachments

• photo284924.jpg
    photo284924.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 11
  • photo284925.jpg
    photo284925.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 9
  • photo284926.jpg
    photo284926.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 10
  • photo284931.jpg
    photo284931.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 12
  • photo284932.jpg
    photo284932.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Watermann

Yeah there never seems to be enough dead space to add enough foam. You can add some behind the side panels too. Besides the wood, the seats are flotation as is the fuel tank, even if full of fuel.

Good for you filling those voids, they would be a source for rot to start if water was allowed to sit in them. I used what I had on hand finding that the JB water weld stick epoxy worked great and sanded down easy.

Your pics are missing 4-5.

SHSU

Yeah there never seems to be enough dead space to add enough foam. You can add some behind the side panels too. Besides the wood, the seats are flotation as is the fuel tank, even if full of fuel.

Good for you filling those voids, they would be a source for rot to start if water was allowed to sit in them. I used what I had on hand finding that the JB water weld stick epoxy worked great and sanded down easy.

Your pics are missing 4-5.

Thanks for pointing out the pic. I have updated

The JB Water Weld sounds like a great idea. I can use that to cap off some of the areas that absorbed more than I put in

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
SHSU thanks for the update. Transom looking like a dandy. Very nice progress on the foam. Looks like soon you will have transom sealed and back in place and floor to follow. Can't wait to see it!

Keep up the good work!

SHSU

Well guys, it has been a while since I had any updates. Been a little slow moving recently. Other projects/family taking up time.

Followed WM's suggestion and used JB Water Weld to fill where the epoxy I used didn't fill to the top. It will prevent water from sitting in the holes and eventually breaching the epoxy
DSC03782.JPG

A couple coats of epoxy on all sides
DSC03784.JPG

Coated the interior of the transom area to protect the aluminum skin. It had a lot of little pitting from the previous owner. Fixed those areas and added protection
DSC03787.JPG

Got my gas tank from my welder. Happy with how it turned out. Based off calculations it will hold 10 gallons. It will sit on the ribs and I will drill a hole through the stringer for the fill nozzle to go through. The fill line will come up on the passenger side right next to the window when I am done. The sending unit is by the pickup tube/vent line. My welder drilled the center hole for the sending unit, but the bolt pattern we weren't sure on so I will drill and tap those myself. But since we had an idea on how large the unit is, he added additional material in that area so the bolts will actually have something to hold onto instead of just 1/8 aluminum.
DSC03794.JPGDSC03792.JPG

Installed 1/8 inch rubber padding on the bottom of the tank, where it will contact the ribs. Cleaned the area with my wire wheel and then a couple cleanings of acetone and vinegar. Then used the 3M 80 Vinyl adhesive recommended by WM and can say it works awesome.
DSC03795.JPG

Well that is all I have for now. Busy the next couple weeks with family and stuff, but hope to sneak out and get some time in

Attachments

• DSC03786.JPG
    DSC03786.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC03791.JPG
    DSC03791.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 10

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
That's an awesome looking tank!! The thought going into it and detail considerations is very admirable. I like the way yp your transom skin came out. I was able to get the transom hardware I needed from Ace Hardware local store pretty sure they are nationwide. I had one up the street from my house in Arizona too. Looking good man! Keep up good work.

Watermann

Nice work on the transom, that should last a lifetime.

Your guy did a great job on that tank, did he add baffles inside? By the looks of the tank it sure seems like it would hold more than 10 gal.

Decker83

Commander
I have to agree with nrf and wm on the tank. It looks great. I had to order my ss bolts tor the transom online also..
The transom looks top notch.. It will last a life time..
Keep up the good work..

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I get most of my hardware from the local Ace as well. The big boxers are miserable and usually don’t have what I need. Tank and transom look top notch!

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Looking awesome. Everything is top notch. That custom tank is awesome! Looking forward to seeing the next leg of this project.

SHSU

Thanks all for checking in. Just got back from Destin, FL for spring break, so didn't get any work done, but was able to do some off shore fishing with the wife/family and brought back a cooler full of trigger fish and vermillion/mangrove snapper.

On the tank, he did install a single baffle for me. Originally had two planned, but he suggested that was way overkill and we reduced it down to one.

For the bolts, I tried my local Ace as well and couldn't find what I needed. So will have to order them online :grumpy:. Something else I will have to wait for to come in....

Status
Not open for further replies.