Missouri 1983 SuperSport 16

Renderwurx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Stopping in to watch the progress. Such a clean looking hull after your hard work.,... I sometimes think I will never see mine that clean!

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well, I haven't fallen off the face of the earth. I finally have the hull ready to paint. I get busy during the school year since I teach and spring has been very late coming. Fortunately, since I don't know how to paint, the local vo-tech school was happy to have a project for the auto body students since they love to paint. They are going to paint it with the SE primer and tractor paint. I'm going with a white hull and then the dark, international blue as an accent color. What's great is they have a paint booth and can cure it at 130 degrees. Much better than me trying to paint on the driveway. Should get it back in about a month. I told the teacher that I had it all ready to go. He told me that he has heard that before but the hull looked like it was right out of the factory. I used two gallons of stripper last summer, a puddy knife, and green scratch pads to get every bit of paint and glue I could off the inside and outside of the hull. So I should be able to start putting it back together this summer.

Attachments

• photo289291.jpg
    photo289291.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 2

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK. Schools out so I could focus on getting this baby painted. Put the striping and StarCraft decals today and clear coated the boat. I stripped all of the vinyl off the interior parts and painted them white. So the boat will be blue and white. Should be pretty clean looking. I ripped all of that rotten upholstery out so I'm going the minimalist route. I copied Watermann's Chieftan paint scheme. I put a silver 1/2" tape on between the blue and white and it really dressed it up. I did that mostly because the tape line wasn't very clean but I think it looks really nice. I think I am going to put gray vinyl down in the boat floor so that will sort of match that stripe. I just need to let it bake a little more at the paint booth and then I can bring it home. It sure helps to have an auto body friend with 30 years experience. We're talking about finding him an 18' SS since he thinks this is a fun project.

Attachments

• photo294183.jpg
    photo294183.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 5
  • photo294184.jpg
    photo294184.jpg
    577.1 KB · Views: 13
  • photo294185.jpg
    photo294185.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 5

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That is a super nice paint work right there!

fetch

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does anyone know where to find a 3 1/4" diameter hole saw for dash gauges? Or do you just free hand cut them with a sabre saw? I have found 3", 3 1/2", and 4" hole saws but no 3 1/4." It would seem with all of the boats out there these would exist somewhere. Thanks.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I have not seen a 3.25 saw in a local store for a long time.

Irwin has one listed on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/IRWIN-373314B.../dp/B0009WY67W

I have both Bi metal saws in that size as well as the Wood saw in that size, I still have to use a curved wood file to custom fit the gauge, but it works well.

You need to make sure you have the arbor to fit it.

Forget that about the arbor, Lowes lists one that is arborless, check you store to see if they have one in stock.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/LENOX-3-1-4-in-Bi-Metal-Non-Arbored-Hole-Saw/3361252

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a couple of old boats I am working on and can see myself also running into fiberglass and wood backing I wonder what happens when you use this on fiberglass and the wood backing. Would it ruin the teeth?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Does anyone know where to find a 3 1/4" diameter hole saw for dash gauges? Or do you just free hand cut them with a sabre saw? I have found 3", 3 1/2", and 4" hole saws but no 3 1/4." It would seem with all of the boats out there these would exist somewhere. Thanks.

A couple decades ago I used an adjustable hole saw to cut through the fiberglass & wood dash on my old boat and it worked fine. They're still available. This one goes from 1 to 6 inches in diameter.

Like so:
mibro-specialty-power-tool-accessories-460271-64_1000.jpg

Laker99

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The semester will be over soon and I moved the boat to my heated shed so I can start putting it back together since I will have some time off. I already cut out all of the wood floor and interior pieces. This may be heresy, but has anyone ever used the "As Seen On TV" Flex Seal spray? I was thinking of putting some along the seams in the bow where the metal all comes together. The original brown SC goo is in there now but it's 45 years old. It will be covered by the floor so it will never be seen. I'm 62 so I will never tear this boat a part again in my lifetime and need to remove the stuff. I used Flex Seal on leaky gutters that were dripping at the end caps and downspouts and it worked great. I thought it might be good along the bottom of the transom too where the gasket could be deteriorated. I would definitely want to be careful with it so I don't make a big mess.

On a related note, I found this little Holiday (no motor or trailer) for $90 and drug it home. The hull is perfect but I'll need to find a windshield since it has a crack. I have a little 1988 Merc Classic 50 sitting in the shed that will be perfect. This will have to sit out back until I retire in 18 months!

Attachments

• photo305107.png
    photo305107.png
    214 KB · Views: 2

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.
I've never used the flexseal spray, I wonder how it holds up over time? I used gluvit or coat-it type epoxy sealer on my hull seams and rivets.
cool little Holiday- that's an awesome price!!

Last edited: