Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann,

Its a little cold outside today to get any work done but I know the side panels are there and I'm almost positive they have been replaced. I can take a closer look at them but honestly this boat appears to be in pretty good shape. I think someone started a reno and gave up. The owner I bought it from only had it 3 months and it was parked in his pole barn the entire time. He sold it for money to fix a car. The topsides and splashwell consoles all were repainted. They plywood is only held in with gravity and I move it freely as I need to. I know it doesn't guarantee anything but I'll be sure to check them over before I go run a muck.

The rigging and wiring may take me all month at this rate. I'm going to do it right with a nice fuse block, wiring, heat shrink and something like this...

71rt3K0fWtL._SL1500_.jpg

:lol::lol: Weather next week is supposed to be good so I'll see what time I can get. As 1st priority I need to clean out the SeaRay and find a new home, even if it is at a salvage yard. Last week I did rip out a few pole holders, Perko switch, fire extinguisher and oar. Next is Gas Tank and hoses and kicker bracket. Nothing is coming easy on this old SeaRay.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Alright guys kinda good progress on my projects today. Removed the 27 Gal Moeller and lines from the Sea Ray. Also removed the kicker bracket. It must have been held on there by magic. I had to get out the Sawzall lol the one bolt would not budge. I just cut through it. Here is a pic of my gas tank out. I was feeling pretty accomplished because it was a blitz job. Guy called today and wanted to take the Sea Ray. I said ok, lemme get to it.

So, Sea Ray is gone now. All I have is the few parts I salvaged from it.

Thinking about building a basic carpeted bench in the back to cover fuel cell until I can rip up the floors for the total restore.

20170213_152829.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's a pretty tall tank, don't think it will fit under any deck unless you make another raised casting deck to cover it.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Did some more work today. I might do a little more tonight in a little while. Not too cold out today. 11 degrees warmer than yesterday. I got the old controls ripped out. Tore into the bilge. The bilge pump is dead. have to replace that before any kind of outing. probably get one with auto switch so its all integrated. gonna remove the panels in the back that are under the splashwell. They just take up space. I know I have read other guys did it. I did it in the 16ss. It just makes sense while I'm back there rigging cables and messing with the bilge. took a few pics earlier but all you see is lots of wires and control laying on the ground. :lol::lol::lol:

Might attempt at rigging up the motor wiring and control cables. I want to get them routed and attached. If I can accomplish that tonight I'll be pleased. I will tidy up then later. I see a ground on the one trim relay that needs replaced, connector is snapped off. Idk if this is why they wired a separate switch or not? That's gonna be a little mess:facepalm: but we like challenges right?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
So my list from post # 15:

SC needs a lot of small stuff here is a list of what I know I'm going to need:

Battery DONE
Fuel Line - DONE
Short Fuel hose to connect OEM 12 Gal Tank from filler neck < DONE - THANKS SEA RAT FOR THE 27 GAL MOELLER AND SENDING UNIT
Control Cable - rusted and frayed right before the motor connection < DONE - GOT DIFFERENT ENGINE WITH CONTROLS
Steering cable - probably. hooked up steering and it is REALLY stiff - any quick cures on this to save a guy $100? < NEEDS HOOKED UP. EVINRUDE TILT TUBE WAS THE PROBLEM. CABLE IS FREE AND SMOOTH JUST NEEDS CONNECTED
Bilge hose - frail and broken < REPLACED TODAY BUT NOW NEED NEW BILGE PUMP

New List -2/14/17

Install Yamaha Controls and wiring
Install Fuel Cell and lines to boat and then to motor <16ss had portable tanks, looking forward to not lugging tanks
Fire up motor on my boat
Figure out trim switches
Connect Steering
Wire / test basic elements - gauges - can use current hardware under dash - will be replaced already picked the parts
replace bilge pump

Last edited:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Got old Controls out and untangled the mess of the wires that were given to me with the Yamaha. Got them all sorted and ready to plug in. Auto bilge came in today with fuse block. Came without fuses haha. 40 dollar part and they can't include 2 dollars worth of fuses. Too cold right now to do much. Might play with it a little later. Should be able to hook up wires and fire up the yammy on a test tank. Here's a pic of the controls sorted out.

I really gotta move some project scrap to refund new parts of the Starcraft project. It's tax season so I imagine I should be able to liquidate a tilt and trim from the evinrude pretty easily. And it would make life easier if the workshop was a little cleaner.

Need switch panel or I can reuse 3 way for lights and bilge like my old 16 had on it for a little while. Biggest moral of the story is not enough hours in the day or money in the bank haha.

Watermann

Yeah 2 bucks, :lol: just wait until you go to the store and buy an assorted kit of of those fuses.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Fuses are a racket. 8 bucks online for assorted box of em. Oh well cheaper than a boat fire lol

Got the yammy running last night, ran the wires and control cables. I gotta get new bolts for the remote to mount it properly. I gotta get a new starter nut too. Dropped down in the pan and it ran up in a tight spot the magnet couldn't even get it. Sorry no pics guys.

Soon gonna have the Starcraft on the other trailer aND start heading down the homeward stretch to first splash. Feels like forever. Barely over a month and I have already repowered. Trick is getting time I have 4 two legged responsibilities and 2 four-legged responsibilities that come first.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
20170214_230647.jpg

Sorry guys I was slacking on my pic posting lol
Here they are before I installed them. I'll get pics tonight of all the terminations and steering hooked up. Gotta mount controls at the helm still. Im not sure if I saved all the hardware from other mount or not. If so I'll mount up tonight and lost a pic.

Last edited:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Alright guys doesn't look like much but i put in the work tonight. Mounted control, fixed ignition switch, key was operating choke and choke was starting engine. Oh my. And after that I troubleshoot the rear trim switch. Had bad ground on the relay. I rewired and cha ching. All good. Next I'll figure out the switch in the controls.

20170218_220211.jpg

Watermann

Got that one knocked off the list. Hey we know what kind of work goes into even the smallest of tasks on these boats, controls are a pretty important part. Does your controls have a kill switch installed on it?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I made a post but my phone is acting strange. Mobile Chrome and iboats not getting along so here's what I was trying to say:

New List -3.0

-Install Fuel Cell and lines to boat and then to motor <16ss had portable tanks, looking forward to not lugging tanks

-Figure out trim switch @ remote control

-Wire / test basic elements - gauges - can use current hardware under dash - will be replaced already picked the parts
- played with these last night. I'm about to strip all wires and start fresh to avoid hassle of troubleshooting. I got 12v to my terminal block but then lost it. too many wires. I'll take pics later to show you guys the struggle is real :lol::lol:

-replace bilge pump < got part, need to install

-put Starcraft on SeaRay trailer < doing this tonight after work

Last edited:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Got that one knocked off the list. Hey we know what kind of work goes into even the smallest of tasks on these boats, controls are a pretty important part. Does your controls have a kill switch installed on it?

Thanks Watermann. I bought the service manual because its my first Yamaha and after seeing the "Frankenstein" wiring inside the cowl I knew I would be wasting a lot of time without it. I always like to have one just cause also.

Yeah it's my first set of controls that is new enough to have one :D. I'm going to test it as well to make sure it works before I go out. I'm gonna swap it over to the SeaRay trailer tonight and may fire it up while its in the water but I don't anticipate actually driving it other than onto the other trailer.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Alright guys, so last night I decided to take a look at some of the wiring. I got some goodies to help a long the way. The first picture is the wire mess the PO sent with me. I think it was every wire in his boat. Fair enough, gave me plenty of salvageable scrap. The first thing I did was make two test leads to be able to test an accessory or circuit. Having the right tools, I tinned the ends of both wires so they will be sturdy for a long time. I decided while the soldering iron heated up I would replace the winch strap on the old winch. It was a rope :cold: The next thing I did was loaded up my divided organizer so I can have all the parts at my disposable in a neat and organized manner. Honestly I ran into a little snafu properly fixing the some of the wiring in the motor and it hung me up for about an hour. Then my time was about up for the night. So I didn't get the power ran to the dash and the fuse box installed but there's always tomorrow.

20170219_225724.jpg

20170219_225832.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
hooked her up to the hose today. 3 pumps on remote control and raised the idle lever and boom right away with the key. idling nicely in the driveway. :happy:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
:thumb::thumb:
image2_1.jpg

got to put her in the water today and swapped over to the other trailer. used the engine. works good might be an understatement. Need to buy a 19P prop instead of the 24 :lol::lol: Not a single drop of water came out of the bilge.

pass side tire started smoking about 1 mile from home. I'm not sure if its the bearings or brakes on the trailer getting hung up. I'll play with it then really grateful it nothing failed in transit. I'll jack it up tomorrow and give it a shake to test the bearings and then take the wheel off and check the brakes. I think its just the brakes hanging up but idk w/o looking at it.

Lots of little things to play with now. Accessory and Gauge wiring, trailer issue, (i'll have to take a pic on its new trailer) Then I have to clean all my tools out of the boat.

I also am going to slow down on progress for a little bit. I gotta sell project scrap to refuel project cash. Planning a vacation with the kids very shortly and not a cheap one. So the boat gets the back burner. Tentative vacation date - last week of April so after that, I'll be back at it.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Nothing too new. Last night I tested the nav lights got them to work as is just had to route the wiring and make the connections. Today I wired up the bilge and main fuse block just for temporary use. Then I got creative. Since the family will likely want to enjoy the boat also, I used the scrap plywood in the front and cut it to fit.

20170222_161003.jpg

20170222_151337.jpg

Cleaned up all the extra tools. Only put the back "deck" back in to cover the carpet til i get it covered

20170222_134926.jpg

Shop vac in bilge and all the snow from Styrofoam. Installed new auto bilge.

20170222_135528.jpg