Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
20170123_165728.jpg

20170124_083237.jpg

Need work here
20170113_210127.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Finish the compression testing today is not good. 80 psi on all three cylinders and the last one zero. Pull the head and there are some minor scoring and top of the piston and it looks like the Rings are gone. I'm not a mechanic but if I had to guess I'd say the Rings snapped off and scored the top of the piston. So back to Good Ol Craigslist and we'll see what we can find. In the meantime I need to strip to Sea Ray and get rid of it.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Mod EDIT: Sorry Nrf, still no sales or ads of your own boat permitted

Last edited by a moderator:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
sorry JB. I just wanted to basically state that I'm moving quicker on selling other boat. I understand. Here's what I found on top left cylinder...

Starting Teardown
20170124_135506.jpg

Nasty looking- salt much?
20170124_135510.jpg

top left piston head - shows wear in bottom right corner and rings seem non exitent
20170124_141215.jpg

closer inspection
20170124_141227.jpg

20170124_141240.jpg

Bottom Cylinder approx 80 PSI
20170124_141305.jpg

20170124_141308.jpg

I thought I'd share these in case someone else runs into the same thing. Not sure if I'll teardown rest of way and rebuild in my spare time or just scrap it. I have never rebuilt an engine and would like to but thinking maybe a smaller outboard for first project would be better.

Pusher

Lieutenant
I've never done an engine rebuild either but does it matter much if the piston is dinged up as long as the cylinder walls are good? There may be some compression loss from the void right?

Did you look to see if the mating face... (Head?) is dinged up? I see the piston was punching the ring fragments but it doesn't seem like there was any damage from this shot. How about when you turn the mtor opposite TDC? How are the walls?

I don't know what I'm talking about but it would be great if you could just hone it and slap a new ring in there... Also, could the rings have gone into the engine behind the piston instead of out?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
You would have to replace the pistons that are damaged, you can't seal it up with new rings and run it like that all beat up. The piston would develop hot spots and melt a hole right on through.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
I figured your right pusher. Void and ring missing = compression loss. No scoring on walls that I could see. I'm with you. I think I should tear it down a little further and if no more damage is found thinking about a ring and piston

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
You would have to replace the pistons that are damaged, you can't seal it up with new rings and run it like that all beat up. The piston would develop hot spots and melt a hole right on through.

Yep, I tore down the other head too. Looks like pistons are brand new, walls look good. I didn't notice before but the exhaust ports are mostly good but walls had slight scoring. Will post pics later.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
20170125_130431.jpg

A little beat up here. Can see scoring bit nothing you can feel

Pusher

Lieutenant
That looks rough :-/ not sure a honing tool would be able to make the cross hatches. I'm out of my depths though.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Yep pusher closer I look it looks like some chunks out of the cylinder wall. May just be the pic.idk.

Still shopping for motor if I can find a 140 again I'd be in business.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Well guys not much going on. Got a Bilge hose on clearance for 5 bucks yesterday, life jackets and throwable PFD came today. Still motor shopping. Not much luck there. Had a text tire kicker on Saturday about the SeaRay. Still gotta get the fuel tank and kicker bracket out of it. I'm afraid it may end up in a land fill if not sold by April. I got my money's worth already just would like someone to have a chance at given old nastyglass mcitcherson another shot at life. I bought a ball for the tractor to tow the SC around in the yard if I need to. I'd like to move it back there anyway out of the drive. No real pics to add.

Watermann

Hey shopping/gathering of new boat parts to be used down the road is one of the most important and fun parts of the rebuild job. Spreading out the cost over several months is less of an impact on the pocket.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Scheduled the pickup 115 Yamaha 09 hundred Saturday morning. Stoked. Made another guy a deal we both couldn't refuse.
00S0S_iNvRaprLUXG_1200x900.jpg

Gotta get rid of my Evinrude junk yard lol. I'm giving the SeaRay maybe another week and thenext doing a price drop to free. Gotta get this stuff moving. I've collected too much junk.

Then with power plant figured out I can Fish this summer and plan my build to understand what I'm gonna want and right before bow season. Start stripping the hull. All kids will be in school this year.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Yesterday was a busy day. Got yammy hung on the back and dead evinrude is resting in my garage. Gotta hook up controls for motor yet and figure out the tilt and trim wiring. Otherwise, score :) still had to work at my job the 2nd half of the day and came home and pulled the scrap Evinrude from myou truck. I'll post up more pics then of the motor. Gonna work out nicely.

Now it's little stuff hopefully until the full rebuild. Gotta figure out what kind of paint i want. I picked out some of the dash components and stuff like that. Going to do the Nautolex vinyl. Looks awesome.

20170211_113557.jpg

Watermann

Motor looks great and I don't think I messed it being replaced but isn't that the original transom you hung the motor on?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Waterman,

Yes it is original. I haven't done any real restoring yet. I'm taking some time to establish a baseline and enjoy this summer with it. I will have some repairs and restoration along the way like wiring and small stuff. Plans are to strip in the fall and rebuild all new.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Waterman,

Yes it is original. I haven't done any real restoring yet. I'm taking some time to establish a baseline and enjoy this summer with it. I will have some repairs and restoration along the way like wiring and small stuff. Plans are to strip in the fall and rebuild all new.

But you confirmed its in sound, safe shape to keep that new Yammy115 from doing any damage or pulling off..

Watermann

With the shape of the rest of the boat after the PO's 'alterations' it's a very legitimate concern about the transom wood being compromised.

All of the structure in the boat ties together to make it seaworthy, including the very important side panels. Not sure they even exist in your SS, isn't that the panel that was the rear 'casting' deck leaning up against the gunnel in the below pic? You really should replace the side panels before tearing out across the lake with that 115 or bad things could happen.

20170123_165728.jpg

20170105_122016.jpg