Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright guys, so last night I decided to take a look at some of the wiring. I got some goodies to help a long the way. The first picture is the wire mess the PO sent with me. I think it was every wire in his boat. Fair enough, gave me plenty of salvageable scrap. The first thing I did was make two test leads to be able to test an accessory or circuit. Having the right tools, I tinned the ends of both wires so they will be sturdy for a long time. I decided while the soldering iron heated up I would replace the winch strap on the old winch. It was a rope The next thing I did was loaded up my divided organizer so I can have all the parts at my disposable in a neat and organized manner. Honestly I ran into a little snafu properly fixing the some of the wiring in the motor and it hung me up for about an hour. Then my time was about up for the night. So I didn't get the power ran to the dash and the fuse box installed but there's always tomorrow.

18' 1980 Starcraft Supersport SS 140hp v4 Johnson
    1980 SS Restore Thread - splashed

Comment

hooked her up to the hose today. 3 pumps on remote control and raised the idle lever and boom right away with the key. idling nicely in the driveway.

Comment

Sounds like nice crackly beef to me.
        1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
        1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

got to put her in the water today and swapped over to the other trailer. used the engine. works good might be an understatement. Need to buy a 19P prop instead of the 24 Not a single drop of water came out of the bilge.

pass side tire started smoking about 1 mile from home. I'm not sure if its the bearings or brakes on the trailer getting hung up. I'll play with it then really grateful it nothing failed in transit. I'll jack it up tomorrow and give it a shake to test the bearings and then take the wheel off and check the brakes. I think its just the brakes hanging up but idk w/o looking at it.

Lots of little things to play with now. Accessory and Gauge wiring, trailer issue, (i'll have to take a pic on its new trailer) Then I have to clean all my tools out of the boat.

I also am going to slow down on progress for a little bit. I gotta sell project scrap to refuel project cash. Planning a vacation with the kids very shortly and not a cheap one. So the boat gets the back burner. Tentative vacation date - last week of April so after that, I'll be back at it.

Comment

Nothing too new. Last night I tested the nav lights got them to work as is just had to route the wiring and make the connections. Today I wired up the bilge and main fuse block just for temporary use. Then I got creative. Since the family will likely want to enjoy the boat also, I used the scrap plywood in the front and cut it to fit.

Cleaned up all the extra tools. Only put the back "deck" back in to cover the carpet til i get it covered

Shop vac in bilge and all the snow from Styrofoam. Installed new auto bilge.

Comment

Nice spring weather you seem to be having in your pics at least, makes me dream of slick water and warm breezes.

Comment

Yeah Watermann it's crazy. I think it's 72 right now. Then next week back in the 40s and 50s. Cold front moving in.

Family stuff going on today otherwise it's a great day to be on the water. I'll be daydreaming about that. About to be stuck at work for 3 12 hour shifts back to back.

Comment

Tornado and hail warning today. Glad I'm stuck at work. 60mph winds right now. Craziness. Not going to get anything done on boat today.

Comment

Well I didn't get much done yesterday but I did manage to test the fuel gauge. It is not / was not working. It's to be expected and one more thing to put on my wish list. For now after I get the 27 gallon tank installed, I don't think I will have to worry about using it all up. I did test the sender on it and it is working properly. I just need to empty the tank of the old gas, install into SS and then refill. I am going to replace with basic gauges. I looked at a pic of my old SS and I liked the simplicity of just a tach on the dash and 2 switches. Switches arrived yesterday and I didn't get to wire them up yet. It's all gonna get rebuilt so I'm not gonna get too crazy with it right meow.

Pic of dash on old 79 SS160

Comment

Looks great that's awesome power for that 16 SS

Comment

budski - That is my old 79SS160. I wish my 80SS180 would be all painted up with a new fish finder

Might get some time to work today. Still really cold here. My goal today would be to finish up wiring in my two sea dog pull switches for Nav lights and bilge and get the fuel cell in and hoses hooked up. That means I gotta drain the fuel first. Not looking forward to that.

Well see what all I get done.

Comment

Alright guys not much to report been busy but work much time on the boat. I did get a sweet new little addition. Well maybe a few but one good picture or two.

New graph

New to me TM. Just something to play with til rebuild. This will satisfy my 15 min drive to electric only lake. Added huge DC battery 110AH.

Took the boat out to test the graph. Showed about 43.8mph on graph SOG. Didn't catch any fish too cold just wanted to see it in action. Will play more when weather cooperates. Starting to get my build list together for the fall.

I know you like your pics. I reinstalled the factory 18gal tank instead of the Moeller, took up too much space. Still gotta hook up my fuel gauge. Thanks again WM!

Comment

Yeah that's moving out, anything over 40 is fast!

Hey you're very welcome, the gauges weren't doing me any good sitting in a box.

Comment

Yeah Waterman was only propin 5100 on the tachometer on a 24 pitch prop that's just what came with the motor I will probably get a 19 pitch aluminum to try to get the full capacity out of my engine and lower unit. I think it will probably take me closer to 50.

Also Liquidated a few more parts so that was helpful.

Comment

Nice cruise. Photo courtesy of EZ. Can't wait for warmer weather and water temps pushing 55. Water temp Wednesday was 43*.

Comment

Working...
                                X