Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You would have to replace the pistons that are damaged, you can't seal it up with new rings and run it like that all beat up. The piston would develop hot spots and melt a hole right on through.
    1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
    1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

I figured your right pusher. Void and ring missing = compression loss. No scoring on walls that I could see. I'm with you. I think I should tear it down a little further and if no more damage is found thinking about a ring and piston
      18' 1980 Starcraft Supersport SS 140hp v4 Johnson
      1980 SS Restore Thread - splashed

Comment

Originally posted by Watermann View Post
        You would have to replace the pistons that are damaged, you can't seal it up with new rings and run it like that all beat up. The piston would develop hot spots and melt a hole right on through.
        Yep, I tore down the other head too. Looks like pistons are brand new, walls look good. I didn't notice before but the exhaust ports are mostly good but walls had slight scoring. Will post pics later.

Comment

A little beat up here. Can see scoring bit nothing you can feel

Comment

That looks rough :-/ not sure a honing tool would be able to make the cross hatches. I'm out of my depths though.
            A foolish consistence is the hobgoblin of little minds
            1971 17' Bellboy Rebuild - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...l-boy-runabout
            Ez Steer to Minn Kota trolling bracket -
            brack://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...trolling-motor

Comment

Yep pusher closer I look it looks like some chunks out of the cylinder wall. May just be the pic.idk.

Still shopping for motor if I can find a 140 again I'd be in business.

Comment

Well guys not much going on. Got a Bilge hose on clearance for 5 bucks yesterday, life jackets and throwable PFD came today. Still motor shopping. Not much luck there. Had a text tire kicker on Saturday about the SeaRay. Still gotta get the fuel tank and kicker bracket out of it. I'm afraid it may end up in a land fill if not sold by April. I got my money's worth already just would like someone to have a chance at given old nastyglass mcitcherson another shot at life. I bought a ball for the tractor to tow the SC around in the yard if I need to. I'd like to move it back there anyway out of the drive. No real pics to add.

Comment

Hey shopping/gathering of new boat parts to be used down the road is one of the most important and fun parts of the rebuild job. Spreading out the cost over several months is less of an impact on the pocket.

Comment

Scheduled the pickup 115 Yamaha 09 hundred Saturday morning. Stoked. Made another guy a deal we both couldn't refuse.

Gotta get rid of my Evinrude junk yard lol. I'm giving the SeaRay maybe another week and thenext doing a price drop to free. Gotta get this stuff moving. I've collected too much junk.

Then with power plant figured out I can Fish this summer and plan my build to understand what I'm gonna want and right before bow season. Start stripping the hull. All kids will be in school this year.

Comment

Yesterday was a busy day. Got yammy hung on the back and dead evinrude is resting in my garage. Gotta hook up controls for motor yet and figure out the tilt and trim wiring. Otherwise, score :-) still had to work at my job the 2nd half of the day and came home and pulled the scrap Evinrude from myou truck. I'll post up more pics then of the motor. Gonna work out nicely.

Now it's little stuff hopefully until the full rebuild. Gotta figure out what kind of paint i want. I picked out some of the dash components and stuff like that. Going to do the Nautolex vinyl. Looks awesome.

Comment

Motor looks great and I don't think I messed it being replaced but isn't that the original transom you hung the motor on?

Comment

Waterman,

Yes it is original. I haven't done any real restoring yet. I'm taking some time to establish a baseline and enjoy this summer with it. I will have some repairs and restoration along the way like wiring and small stuff. Plans are to strip in the fall and rebuild all new.

Comment

Originally posted by nrf414 View Post
                            Waterman,

Yes it is original. I haven't done any real restoring yet. I'm taking some time to establish a baseline and enjoy this summer with it. I will have some repairs and restoration along the way like wiring and small stuff. Plans are to strip in the fall and rebuild all new.
                            But you confirmed its in sound, safe shape to keep that new Yammy115 from doing any damage or pulling off..
                            Money spent @ Boat Restoration should be measured in Smiles & Pride SHOP IBOATS-BOAT SPECS-FORUM HELP-REPAIR/RESTO

Comment

Originally posted by jbcurt00 View Post

But you confirmed its in sound, safe shape to keep that new Yammy115 from doing any damage or pulling off..
                              Yep all good.

Comment

With the shape of the rest of the boat after the PO's 'alterations' it's a very legitimate concern about the transom wood being compromised.

All of the structure in the boat ties together to make it seaworthy, including the very important side panels. Not sure they even exist in your SS, isn't that the panel that was the rear 'casting' deck leaning up against the gunnel in the below pic? You really should replace the side panels before tearing out across the lake with that 115 or bad things could happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X