Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've got compression, you might want to rebuild the carburetors before using the engine. A piece of junk in one of the high speed jets could lean out a cylinder. Other than that, it's a great engine...just a little thirsty. Good luck with the tests.
    1974 Starcraft Chieftain 18' outboard https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...tan-18-rebuild

Comment

Thanks Chemical. I remember it being thirsty on my old Glastron. I'm thinking building that 27 gal tank in will work well. I didn't realize how cheap throttle cables and steering are til I saw them on iboats.

Yep your right about building the carbs too. The fuel lines are shot on this boat and I don't know if that motor is original or not but ethanol will eat old fuel lines up and clog jets in carbs.
      18' 1980 Starcraft Supersport SS 140hp v4 Johnson
      1980 SS Restore Thread - splashed

Comment

Uh oh Nerf414! Did you say the "e" word? Here we go now!!!
        A foolish consistence is the hobgoblin of little minds
        1971 17' Bellboy Rebuild - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...l-boy-runabout
        Ez Steer to Minn Kota trolling bracket -
        brack://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...trolling-motor

Comment

Originally posted by Pusher View Post
          Uh oh Nerf414! Did you say the "e" word? Here we go now!!!

hmm idk what I've done??

Comment

It stinks too because I want to take more pics. I still only have the ones sitting at that pole barn from the seller. I guess now it's sitting outside I can see it anytime I want to and most of you have seen an 18 SS many times. I work on weekends all through the daylight so I wont get a chance. Monday I'll be reinstalling the starter and solenoid, maybe I'll do a write up on that with pics. Pretty straight forward though when you take it apart. Put it back the way you found it or better.

Comment

There's quite a few threads that get derailed when ethanol is brought up.

Sounds like we get pics on Monday then! :-)
              1971 17' Bellboy Rebuild - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-...l-boy-runabout

Comment

I prefer a Non-E thread
                1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
                1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

Alright guys. I know its late Monday but today the weather was terrible and it was mini-me's birthday. So I snapped a few quick ones while I was outside. I didn't get any work done today too much family stuff. Here's a little something.

Comment

She's a beauty alright, I really don't know how you can keep your hands off her
                    1979 V5 SS140 HP Merc ...... 1970 18' Chieftain IO restoration
                    1978 16' SS160 SeaNymph .. 1978 14' Seafarer

Comment

A few more photos.

Comment

Need work here

Comment

Finish the compression testing today is not good. 80 psi on all three cylinders and the last one zero. Pull the head and there are some minor scoring and top of the piston and it looks like the Rings are gone. I'm not a mechanic but if I had to guess I'd say the Rings snapped off and scored the top of the piston. So back to Good Ol Craigslist and we'll see what we can find. In the meantime I need to strip to Sea Ray and get rid of it.

Comment

Mod EDIT: Sorry Nrf, still no sales or ads of your own boat permitted
                            Last edited by jbcurt00; January 24th, 2017, 02:52 PM.

Comment

sorry JB. I just wanted to basically state that I'm moving quicker on selling other boat. I understand. Here's what I found on top left cylinder...

Starting Teardown

Nasty looking- salt much?

top left piston head - shows wear in bottom right corner and rings seem non exitent

closer inspection

Bottom Cylinder approx 80 PSI

I thought I'd share these in case someone else runs into the same thing. Not sure if I'll teardown rest of way and rebuild in my spare time or just scrap it. I have never rebuilt an engine and would like to but thinking maybe a smaller outboard for first project would be better.

Comment

I've never done an engine rebuild either but does it matter much if the piston is dinged up as long as the cylinder walls are good? There may be some compression loss from the void right?

Did you look to see if the mating face... (Head?) is dinged up? I see the piston was punching the ring fragments but it doesn't seem like there was any damage from this shot. How about when you turn the mtor opposite TDC? How are the walls?

I don't know what I'm talking about but it would be great if you could just hone it and slap a new ring in there... Also, could the rings have gone into the engine behind the piston instead of out?

Comment

Working...
                                X