Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Alright guys so a little update on the 18 SS. Played with it for a little while yesterday EZ stopped by. Thanks for the help EZ. Looked to test compression but I think the starter is weak. Pulled all the plugs and spun freely quite quickly. Starter was barely pushing flywheel around with plugs in it. Going back through the connections and solenoid to eliminate any bad cables causing Voltage drop.

The longer I see the fiberglass SeaRay sit the more I want rid of it and the trailer under the SS. Thinking about stripping what I want and donating the rest to whichever charitable organization that will take it without a trailer.

jbcurt00

Staff member
A donation w out a trailer isnt likely to meet w many (any?) takers, IMO. Esp stripped....

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Kars4kids.org will take w/o trailer. I think all I want out of it might be the fuel tank and fire extinguisher. Motor said to be running its a 5.0 Ford 190 OMC. It appears to all be in tact

Tnstratofam

Commander
Sorry I'm just now getting back to you with pics of our casting platform.

Here are some shots of me building it. It is a piece of 3/4 plywood treated with spar varnish. I cut it so it just fits over the bow seating platform. About an inch around on both sides and at the front. I cut 2 pieces that form a sort of key way on the bottom that helps hold it in place.

In the pictures below you can see the forward key piece just under the cinder block I was weighing the piece down with while the carpet glue dried.

The finished piece works pretty good and supports my weight fine. I plan on adding an insert to allow me to put a casting seat in that can e moved to the bow area when going up and down the lake.

Mind you this does put you pretty high up on the bow so being careful while fishing with other people moving around the boat is a necessity. This allows for the bow seating to still be utilized which works out great for us as we only have helm seating in our 16SS due to wanting the stern open for fishing. I may ad seating that can be removed for cruising at some point but for now it is usually just the Admiral and I fishing and that works out good for us.

Tnstratofam

Commander
In the pictures below you can see a door I added that we can close when the weather is cooler to block off the wind from the bow area as we go up the lake. I don't have a picture of it carpeted, but you get the idea/ It is carpeted to match the deck, and is dropped forward and becomes part of the deck for when I'm up there fishing. I hold it in place with a simple bungee when I have it closed. It is closed after I shut the center window and it blocks the air really well.

Yes I know I do not have good helm seat pedestals. I plan on replacing them hopefully this season.

P.S. the bungee chords you see on the steering wheel are what I use to keep the motor from moving around while trailering to and from the lake. Cheesy I know but it works.

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
An added bonus to the casting platform is it provides another covered storage area that I keep a tool bag and tackle boxes in. We usually keep a cooler sitting right in front of the opening between the helm seats that acts as a step for the casting deck. The deck is just sitting in place with the bow cushions covering about an inch around, and it stays in place from its own weight really well. I've traveled down the interstate at 70mph without so much as a hint that the casting deck was coming up from wind.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Strato looks nice. Thanks for adding pics. Looks kinda like what I want to do. Maybe cut hatches for under the cushions to maintain storage areas. I like it.

jbcurt00, yep they emailed back and said had to have a trailer.

I was going to test the starter today but I decided to pull it off and inspect it and clean it and here's what I found inside which would help to maybe explain why it's acting weak

20170117_150715.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
Check into landfills. Seems the dozer operators enjoy crushing hulls...

Tnstratofam

Commander
Strato looks nice. Thanks for adding pics. Looks kinda like what I want to do. Maybe cut hatches for under the cushions to maintain storage areas. I like it.

We can still access the storage under the bow seating. The deck only rides on the lip of the cushion supports. It doesn't cover the storage under the seats. We just have to lift the cushions for access.

I store the anchor, extra life jackets, and some extra rope under the port and starboard bow seats.

Under the very front triangle cushion is where my trolling motor battery goes.

I can take the deck out and leave it in the cab of my truck if we aren't fishing and are pulling a tube or skiing. Although it's rare we do that now that the kids are grown and all but out of the house.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Last night picked up 2 tilt and trim units. 1 works and 1s for parts and a starter at a killer deal.

Looking forward to getting the starter mounted and checking compression before moving any further forward with this motor. Should be able to do that this weekend, but won't be able to check compression until Monday. If it checks out and has spark might get this old girl running quickly. Still have to address tight steering and frayed throttle cables but at least I'll have propulsion.

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
If you've got compression, you might want to rebuild the carburetors before using the engine. A piece of junk in one of the high speed jets could lean out a cylinder. Other than that, it's a great engine...just a little thirsty. Good luck with the tests.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Chemical. I remember it being thirsty on my old Glastron. I'm thinking building that 27 gal tank in will work well. I didn't realize how cheap throttle cables and steering are til I saw them on iboats.

Yep your right about building the carbs too. The fuel lines are shot on this boat and I don't know if that motor is original or not but ethanol will eat old fuel lines up and clog jets in carbs.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
It stinks too because I want to take more pics. I still only have the ones sitting at that pole barn from the seller. I guess now it's sitting outside I can see it anytime I want to :D and most of you have seen an 18 SS many times. I work on weekends all through the daylight so I wont get a chance. Monday I'll be reinstalling the starter and solenoid, maybe I'll do a write up on that with pics. Pretty straight forward though when you take it apart. Put it back the way you found it or better.

Pusher

Lieutenant
There's quite a few threads that get derailed when ethanol is brought up.

Sounds like we get pics on Monday then! :)

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Alright guys. I know its late Monday but today the weather was terrible and it was mini-me's birthday. So I snapped a few quick ones while I was outside. I didn't get any work done today too much family stuff. Here's a little something.

20170123_165718.jpg

20170123_165728.jpg

20170123_165731.jpg

20170123_165735.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
She's a beauty alright, I really don't know how you can keep your hands off her :heh: