Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
8" of snow the day after spring is supposed to be here :eek:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Last night before I went to the garage for a little more work and it was still snowing

20180321_203041.jpg

Didn't really get much done last night. Just more spar and paint. Got a few errands to run today and then should be able to get some more work. Hoping to.get dash panels and front of consoles finished up today. Then might play with NFB steering and remote mounting.

Thanks guys for stopping my and checking out my rig. And the kind words. I am basically where I was 13 months ago but with all new parts lol

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
A little more progress. Glad I assembles and disassembled steering dry fitting it. Made this step a cinch. Still gotta do wiring. Got stern light wired and fastened. Put larger diameter cup holders in port console. Should have done that before the windshield. Made it a little tricky. Getting there...

20180322_191626.jpg

20180322_191637.jpg

20180322_171433.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Casting deck build going on right now. Yestersay I cut the hatches, dry fitted with hinges mounted pedestal base and backer board, and mounted controls. Then took a break for an afternoon hunt and helped a buddy on his 16 foot SS casting deck too.

this morning I recessed hatch pulls, installed angle AL bow supports, added a coat of gray to console faces and put 2x coats of spar on deck wood. Can't wait to get in and Kiwi!

Controls mounted, Helm coming together...
20180324_080131.jpg

hatches cut, pedestal installed
20180324_130432.jpg

2nd coat of gray on console faces. Noco hole ready for AC plug 😁
20180325_095654.jpg

spar drying..
20180325_095733.jpg

Watermann

Lots going on right there and it all looks like some top notch work! :thumb:

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Moving right along! Looks real good Nick. Has the snow melted yet?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Moving right along! Looks real good Nick. Has the snow melted yet?

Almost. Pretty close mostly only shaded areas remain. Morning is supposed to be 26°

This week is supposed to rain all week.

Thanks for stopping by guys and checking out my rig. Just finished up out there. Hung the motor and connected it up. Casting deck is getting fiberglass on seams and kiwigrip tomorrow 👍🏻 NOCO all wired up and "test charging now". All I should have left is steering and wiring. And any touch ups leftover. Splash should be no more than 2 weeks away depending on weather.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
You're really cranking along! Good progress and excellent work! :encouragement:

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Really nice progress. I am guessing the 18fters are deeper then the 16 fters. I can't get under the steering wheel with my knees. Plus the windshield isn't tall enough for me either.... LOL, problems of taller people my wife says

Watermann

Your knees don't go under the dash in your car or boat, :lol: The windshield isn't high enough on my 18'r either but I'm only 6'04" so if it's cold I lean forward and look like a grandpa driving to the senior center. :D

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Your knees don't go under the dash in your car or boat, :lol: The windshield isn't high enough on my 18'r either but I'm only 6'04" so if it's cold I lean forward and look like a grandpa driving to the senior center. :D

Rob just don't forget which pedal does what.. :laugh: also not in most boats.

Man you guys are pretty tall I'm just about 5'10 shrinking as I'm getting older lol.

Didn't do much today, fastened casting deck and installed panels on front of consoles. Was about to mount the NOCO and had too call it quits.

Tomorrow's another day. Doesn't matter how fast I'm ready for the water, rain is coming all week. I did mount motor yesterday and tested the controls. All was working well with new controls.

20180326_192253.jpg

SHSU

Dam you have me by two inches. :lol: I am still mulling over ideas on raising the console. It just doesn't feel right trying to drive around with my hands next to my knees.

Didn't do much today, fastened casting deck and installed panels on front of consoles. Was about to mount the NOCO and had too call it quits.

Tomorrow's another day. Doesn't matter how fast I'm ready for the water, rain is coming all week. I did mount motor yesterday and tested the controls. All was working well with new controls.

Its looking really good. What did you use to secure the deck?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Dam you have me by two inches. :lol: I am still mulling over ideas on raising the console. It just doesn't feel right trying to drive around with my hands next to my knees.

Its looking really good. What did you use to secure the deck?

Thanks for the compliments. I'll take the kidney punch in advance :lol: I used exterior grade deck screws. I'll see how it goes. If desired results not achieved after 10 years I'll replace with countersunk LF rivets.

I'm feeling the end coming and I like it and don't at the same time. I'm starting to pace it out a little. Today all I did was mount Noco and put down fiberglass on seam in casting deck. Might go out later and lay the KiwiGrip. I cant wait to have decks all finished. I ordered a 13" pedestal for casting seat to bring it up a little. Even tho I'm shorter than most on iboats lol I feel like raising this seat a little will stretch out my legs a little. Yes they will still touch the deck :lol:

20180327_133309.jpg

20180327_133439.jpg

20180327_171648.jpg

Watermann

Steel deck screws? :nono: Oh man where did we go wrong :noidea:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Watermann honestly didn't know they were steel :faint2:

Note to self and other builders.... Just use the rivets!!
I did research them now after the fact and they are ceramic coated and covered by warranty for 10 years against corrosion. Bottom line, aluminum LF Rivets will not corrode.

Kidney punch accepted :faint:

SHSU

At least you still have time to replace them. You haven't covered them up. Just get the right length blind rivets and you can easily replace.

On another note, I see you are using a three bank charger. Where are you placing all the batteries? I am thinking of doing the same and am trying to figure out where I am going to put them, plus having to add additional length to one for the run to the motor starter battery.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
SHSU good point. I need to lay a 2nd layer of kiwi on a few lighter spots anyway.

I have 2 @ bow for 24v trolling motor and 1 at stern for accessories and motor. I don't have any big accessories just LED lights and graphs. All batteries are 110aH if I remember correctly. I never used more than 30% trolling last year but wanted to be sure I had enough. There is an electric only like 10 minutes from my house that gets pretty windy at times. It only takes once and lesson learned.

Finished the casting deck area. Turn the garage upside down for one hatch pool that I know I ordered and had but I cannot find it.

Fired old girl up today...😁 just need to do steering and finish electrical 👍🏻 been saying that for a week :lol:

20180329_102802.jpg

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Did steering today. All was going well til I went to make connection at Helm. 1 foot too short :facepalm::disturbed: don't know what happened there. Doh... ordered new one should be here Wednesday. Perfect time to work on electrical.

Watermann shotgun bore brush + PB blaster did awesome job on tilt tube. Super smooth install. Looks like I get that experience twice. :lol: