Returning member to the Starmada - 18' Supersport or Offshore?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for stopping by guys. Just keeping it moving so I can get back on the water. Seeing the paint to down was a huge motivation and now the parts are stacked up. It's time to get going. Didn't help that today and yesterday were 70° really got me itching to be on the water.

Some local starmada members talked about stopping over to help on Thursday maybe we'll get this transom in!!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I can only dream of warm days and being on the water, up here near the 49th the weather is bitter cold.

Remember the trick when you go to put that transom in so you don't mar up all that sealer?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Milk jugs on knee brace ? 😁🐄 I remembered at least something out of your 80 pages. I checked 10 day forecast and it's looking dreary here but not as cold as for you. Highs in mid 40s. Hopefully March is more cooperative for all of us.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I can only dream of warm days and being on the water, up here near the 49th the weather is bitter cold.

Remember the trick when you go to put that transom in so you don't mar up all that sealer?

I think I missed where the trick was discussed and I can't find it... :confused:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Voila 😎 like a charm. Holes drilled, and drains installed. Finished late last night and had to be up for work at 0400.

can't wait to get back to it.

20180222_212108.jpg

more pics to come. Foam is cut need to install and finish cutting floor. Then it will be on to working in seats and bow.

Watermann

I know the feeling, I would fall asleep and wake up thinking about my boat when I was working on it. Enjoy every minute of it right down to all the wonderful smells going on inside the garage. :D

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
good stuff !! I put my transom in for a dry fit test and the bugger got stuck :facepalm: I had to touch up with spar then painted it. What did you do for your drain tube?

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
knezzer I dry fit before I sparred and it also was a tight fit. I sanded and trimmed and then sparred. I still had to trim down the high spots under the transom and caps. In just recoated them with spar carefully once it was already set in.

For the drains, I used the Moeller aluminum drains and the flange tool. It was super easy. I was a little apprehensive to how that was going to work. I will admit to my own fault that when removing transom I removed main bung drain unnecessarily. No big deal. iboats had the part and she's on order now. I imagine I will pop in with the flange tool. I'll see if I can get some more pics for you. Really pleased with how they turned out.

Watermann yeah I'm loving it, walking into garage smelling like new boat. Cut wood, spar during, paint drying ... all good smells. I woke up yesterday from a dream of building a boat... haha

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
The local chapter Starmada came over for a looksee last night and I did some more work. Got foam pretty well situated. Gotta cut 2 more sections of floor and get more Spar. Not a lot of working room for 8 foot sheets of ply and my boat in the garage. 🤣 can't wait to dry fit those seats.. 😀

knezzer here you can see the drains better. I almost forgot one of the important things about installing those drains with the tool is not to over torque on them because they will crack. I dry fitted transom cap and end caps. Gotta order another port side cap. Mine may have been defeated last year. 😝

20180223_202053.jpg

orca-image-1519437320317.jpg_1519437320503.jpg

here's the foam work. I applaud some of you for the extremely neat job you have done. I got to the end and was trying to figure how to make it all fit. I'm going to leave area between z brackets open for rod locker/ ski locker.

20180224_230042.jpg

Watermann

Coming right along, you're not going to have a belly tank in your 18'r so what's the plan for fuel? That 115 is going to be thirsty. :happy:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Good question Watermann. For that I will address with Moeller FT1895 - 18 gallon perm. Tank that will take the place directly of the Mirax tank they come with under the splashwell. I'm excited and can't wait to install. Then I will also have a 6gal back up. WOT she's rated at about 12gal/ hour so.

Honestly my main river spot I can get to with a trolling motor quickly BUT it is nice to know when I go to the bigger bodies of water I'm covered. I would have kept the metal tank that it came with but I feared sending to shop might yield similar results to yours 🤤

Watermann

Ah ok, 18 gal is good for a fishing boat, that's what my belly tank is too and yeah leave that messy portable tank and drippy hose at home :lol:

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah exactly. Between my "experiments" we will call them last year with that huge 27 gallon tank and a 12 gallon portable and the messes on the deck. I'm over it. The Lorax one was dirty and I think the reason why I spent a great deal of time troubleshooting carburetor issues.

So this will be a permanent tank that I can monitor fuel levels without really having to get too interactive with the tank itself or sloppy messes is on the deck.

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Went back at it again tonight started with the transom hardware and that was giving me quite the fit. Even though I got all new stuff one of the stainless screw snapped off and it was not having me working back there tonight. So I took a break and came back to work on cutting out the last floor section and sanding the insides that will be exposed. I started doing topside repairs drilling out all partially damaged rivets for replacement and prepping to fill holes.

I have just that last triangular piece in the front of the bow to cut out but I don't have a template so I've been putting that off. Might work on that tomorrow morning.

​​​​​​​
20180226_014958.jpg

Decker83

Commander
I just cut that piece out last night. I didn't have a pattern to go by.. I used some stiff cardboard to trace out a pattern.
I didn't try to fit it in the boat because it was getting to dark on me.. That piece is a little tricky..:eek:
Good luck with the cut..

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Worked out pretty good. It will be covered anyway.

cardboard template
20180226_173541.jpg

piece cut..
20180226_174750.jpg

all in

20180226_182638.jpg

20180226_182706.jpg

Watermann

Looking forward to seeing all that good stuff come out that's waiting for that deck to go in. :joyous: