Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin

jonnyfish

Seaman
I just want to say, I am so thankful to you guys for keeping this thread alive and up to date with your experiences regarding the Starcraft Mariner. I had the opportunity to look at one of these in town recently. Long story short my boat was totaled this summer and I was looking for something bigger to handle big water and waves (Mille Lacs).

After reading all of the comments here not only did i feel comfortable, but confident that I was getting myself into a good boat, that was worth it, even if I do putting in some elbow grease to get it up to speed. I ended up with the boat on the back of my truck for $2600, it has a 135 2 stroke merc on the back ('93) and a 15 hp Johnson as a kicker (probably going to take it off). Anyways, I may have let this one pass if it wasn't for reading all of your experiences to see the value of this boat.

Couple questions:
- have you had any issues with the Transom Wood?
--- This boats transom is visibly old and worn, it seems sturdy but I may investigate, any tips here?
- where does the wiring get routed to go to the center console?
--- how difficult is this task?

Thanks again for this helpful thread, I feel like I snagged a good boat because I took the time to read it, and you all took the time to keep it up to date.

Attachments

• IMG_20161127_161214.jpg
    IMG_20161127_161214.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20161127_163117.jpg
    IMG_20161127_163117.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 4

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome to the Starmada Johnnyfish :wave:

Your new Mariner looks pretty good on the inside from what I can see. :thumb:

fetch

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Couple questions:
- have you had any issues with the Transom Wood?
--- This boats transom is visibly old and worn, it seems sturdy but I may investigate, any tips here?
- where does the wiring get routed to go to the center console?
--- how difficult is this task?

You snagged a great boat. Real tough to go wrong with a big no frills tinny like that one.

Most of us had to replace our transoms. The wood wasn't really sealed well if at all by Starcraft. If yours isn't flexing though it may not need replacement just yet. Decent test is with the motor in running position, stand on the lower unit and bounce around a bit. There should be no noticeable flexing in the transom. It is not a terribly difficult task to replace the transom if needed.

jonnyfish

Seaman
That's a good tip, thanks much! I'll have to try that and see what happens.

After doing some brief research it doesn't seem like replacing a Transom is a big task.
My bigger task with it would be lifting the motor off during the project, not sure how I'd accomplish that (300+ lbs).

I've been poking around a bit on different rebuilds of these boats and seen a lot of interesting ideas.
One of which is creating a casting deck at the stern.

How difficult of an undertaking is it to remove the splash well (if that is the correct term) and build up a casting deck over the gas tank / battery storage / wiring?
My primary use for this boat will be fishing, so this is one of the more important things on a long list of modifications and updates I want to do.

Thanks again for this great resource and your dedication.

jonnyfish

Seaman
Also it doesn't seem there is a way to modify the original post that was migrated. Is it possible to update the title to:

"Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin"

Mainly i'm interested in doing this to help others pinpoint this make model and year and add value to the internet :p

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My bigger task with it would be lifting the motor off during the project, not sure how I'd accomplish that (300+ lbs).

I've had mine off multiple times. I just hook it to a cheapo harbor freight block and tackle which is connected to the lifting ring under the motor's hood and the other end to anything sturdy overhead. If the motor doesn't have a lifting ring there is usually one available that can be bolted on to the block or flywheel. Otherwise you could tie a sturdy strap around it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Also it doesn't seem there is a way to modify the original post that was migrated. Is it possible to update the title to:

"Found a Starcraft Mariner 220 '76 ... let it begin"

Mainly i'm interested in doing this to help others pinpoint this make model and year and add value to the internet :p

Title changed.

She looks to be in pretty good shape, Jonny. Welcome to the home of Tinnauts.

A word of caution - The splashwell is an important structural element and that needs to be taken into consideration.

Wiring, cables, etc. to the center console is via a chaseway under the deck back to under splashwell. 64osby replaced the steering on his Mariner a few years back, so maybe he can comment on the cable/wiring routing.

jonnyfish

Seaman
Thanks for the info on the splash well, perhaps I could keep it as it is, just trying to think creatively of how to create a slightly elevated deck on the back side for fishing. I've seen some of the fish n ski boats now have the bench seats that fold down to an extended casting deck. Other have the 'jump seats' that fold up/down into the deck. Both seem like options.

The current layout has 2 individual seats behind the captains chair, which I liked, but if I removed them and got a little creative with how I could access the battery/wiring/gas can, it may work better for my needs.

Things to think about.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome Jonny,

That's nice boat you got.
I am a bit curious though, you mentioned "to handle big water and waves (Mille Lacs)."
But then you talked about a casting platform.
What are you fishing for and where?

Dan

jonnyfish

Seaman
I fish for Muskies primarily, and Mille Lacs got the better of me this summer with a 17 ft bass boat. That started my search for a bigger bodied boat that could handle 5 footers if needed. Most of the fishing i do primarily is casting, sometimes I need to battle the wind directly while I'm casting, and on that lake the wind kicks up pretty good.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Ah ya, that explains the casting platform, and the larger boat, a 17 ft bass boat is a bit over matched by Mille Lacs.
Of course a lot of boats are over matched when the wind comes up.

Dan

"I fish for Muskies primarily, and Mille Lacs got the better of me this summer with a 17 ft bass boat."

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Thanks for the info on the splash well, perhaps I could keep it as it is, just trying to think creatively of how to create a slightly elevated deck on the back side for fishing. I've seen some of the fish n ski boats now have the bench seats that fold down to an extended casting deck. Other have the 'jump seats' that fold up/down into the deck. Both seem like options.

I wanted to do something like this for mine with the fold down seats but I couldn't find anything that would work. Ended up building this:

Attachments

• photo255950.JPG
    photo255950.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 0

jonnyfish

Seaman
Thats a slick setup, when those seats are folded down are they able to be stood on?

jonnyfish

Seaman
No Title

I found a project by jasoutside where he did a folding bench on his Sea Nymph seat that extends the casting deck, and can also create additional storage.

This approach seems ideal to me.

Attachments

• photo255954.jpg
    photo255954.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo255955.jpg
    photo255955.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 2

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Thats a slick setup, when those seats are folded down are they able to be stood on?

Unfortunately not. The seats themselves don't really fold. The whole seat lifts forward to access storage and the area behind them. So you've just got the box in the middle to stand or sit on. Jasoutside's setup is better.

64osby

Admiral
Wiring, cables, etc. to the center console is via a chaseway under the deck back to under splashwell. 64osby replaced the steering on his Mariner a few years back, so maybe he can comment on the cable/wiring routing.

GA has it right. There is a chase running up the center of the hull. There are two access holes under the splashwell on mine. One at the transom and one just behind the doors. Then there is a hole under the console. On mine the wires and cables in the chase are a twisted mess and running new wire is a big pita.

jonnyfish

Seaman
Thanks for that info 64osby, one of the main concerns I have is wiring up a depth finder on that center console.

The PO replaced it 2 years ago (or so) and I'm hoping the wiring isn't a royal PITA.

I'll be posting up more pictures this weekend of the boat, the decking was supposedly redone 2 years ago and does look good, that's a huge saving on time, but it does make me nervous about any potential cracks underneath the deck on the ribbing that I wouldn't be aware of. As i've continued to look through rebuilds on here I've seen them on peoples posts a number of times.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
In 76 SC put the hull stiffeners/rib braces in so I don't think you'll need to worry about it. Look for the rivets on the outside where they were fastened, should be a row of them mid-ship back above the spray rail.

64osby

Admiral
one of the main concerns I have is wiring up a depth finder on that center console.

The PO replaced it 2 years ago (or so) and I'm hoping the wiring isn't a royal PITA.

Two options to pull a wire. Use the existing wire and attach the new wire to it. (fold wires over each other and tape securely). Pull through with existing wire.

Or, Use a fish tape to pull the new wire. This is what I used when installing the new steering cable.