86 18' Starcraft SFM

Status
Not open for further replies.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey I just got caught up on your thread and man that looks great on the water ! Very nice work !

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
So here is an update on the boat since she was splashed. We took it out on Lake Michigan on the big water a few times out of Holland. No major mishaps to speak of there. We had a two week camping trip in August up to the Upper Peninsula and to the Inland Waterway the second week. This was the big sea trials voyage! She trailered the trip great up to Indian Lake, Manistique. The first night we did some fishing with the kicker motor because the battery was of course... dead. So I charged it up that night. The next day we went up to Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore. This was a great experience, incredible majestic views, and the boat functioned flawlessly. The roads however did not do any nice things... MDOT decided that all the roads in the UP had to be resurfaced with them little pebbles over some sticky tar... Im sure you know where this is going. Yeah the trailer and the underside of the boat got chewed up pretty bad. So one day in the future I'll strip the bottom bare and leave it that way. That was the only downside to the trip as far as the boat goes, because the van's radiator blew too but that is a different story. We did some smally fishing on BIg bay De Noc as well. Indian Lake provided some fishing and great sunsets each evening.

The next week we where down in the LP for the Inland Waterway. We stayed on Mullet at Aloha State Park. Nice beachside campsite. We spent one day going all the way down the river and lakes to Lake Huron, which included a two way trip up and down the locks. The next day was all the way to the other side of the water way where you are just a few miles away from Lake Michigan. Pretty neat trip, and the boat and the motor served us well!
y4mf75KG1ZYmKYexFYcBy-tRQEcrn-9JeBwpwajGq9V57d2r01vlz4EJeQIpWMTawGssNh7I_CbwmilMpMoqJycLn6L7KTkMhmERvxJIT1g0PYjMPxExbQwD4K-kn58Ko_bbumH4P6gQXaS4QV665IZr4NCS10bM-u2F4Tw_kVvIUU4F9m6xihBPZPR0xMDIMiGDU0Icf0uaEmtWInTQWB75Q

y4mDMUN2WPgb0U7J5oo6LcHL2nP9jQrtAZZXNTikDwmcw6bSLlTFMn3gQMlYgtRgeTu-2BFTi2rNd9iZO1Vk7gOaY7sbZvSasbzo4RkKW6sEttE0fiNjfuYfkl5ZfLTe1LGZdsCFZBZ2MGKpYgDrOYIBwIbS17akjAwIpwTqCdaYgusvZPACzGwDjzLoA_BoCMnVTsVx_LXfwSPLPxKpTAS6g

y4mje2ktt0hYdBTb7guklxYK41Mbwlm06LixWgqIpMJwLwvmDVd1oT1UV8GWYndHuwKRTlYc1AX_B8Tu4SAZ2830rd_RT6Z5FMpebemmoFzQKsevAYUCKN528r5vd-Y0dpFfkX6Fo6B5y3Q2LYzmltPVE2JFiIVpdcWDNayxZsqGSYubbhdxqLsLi9CvJUPrC3Ug7DAYyETyc2JY3AOehuvaA

y4mTTDoo8yHo8cP2CvbeCTha09HfCUjdozLU6e0BnDlp-Y4y3cepSE0kLN4Ble81cyw1-g8N1pKEUTdys-GE-L8eW_iHA6IvfORnr0frUCq3R-_fqPuLt-AI1xQuwkxTQTzwVqC4PyIfGJumiYKNIvihEhA3QyNCxicdgxI2kuxxe9R5bQtHcolwTKSZBzp03Jm4sMHOdz4yrveO_w-_Wq34g

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Nothing better then pics of fish and happy kids in a boat.
Nice job.

Dan

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nothing better then pics of fish and happy kids in a boat YOU redid yourself....
DL, fixed it ^^^ for ya :becky:

nice work MD

glad the trip went mostly ok and the boat did what it was supposed to: but grins on the face of the skipper and mates

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Yes indeed.

"Nothing better then pics of fish and happy kids in a boat YOU redid yourself...."

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks fellas! There are a few things Id like to cover yet. Ill get some pics of the underside and some of the things I added or redid. That has to wait for some light for pictures and time, hopefully tomorrow.

No-AH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Man what scenery and fish to boot....that looks like a great trip and memories to last a lifetime! Good job MD!

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
Those are some pretty waters. I know Michigan has some of the prettiest lakes in the country. Being from Toledo, we've usually limited it to the fun little ski lakes in the Irish Hills but I want to go north to the UP and up around Traverse City and do some boating on them beautiful lakes up there.

I've been looking at campgrounds in Southern Michigan and Northern Indiana. I want a campground where I can have my camper, a beach, and my boat, on an all-sports lake, either keep your boat in the water docked for the season or launch when you go there for the weekend or whatever. I think that would be a sweet set-up. I've got a list of about 20 different campgrounds to look at. A lot of times you can buy somebody's entire set-up (outfitted trailer, golf cart, shed) for about 15k. I just think it would be cool to have the boat sitting at something like that ready to go whenever you want to do some fishing or skiing and the campgrounds always have live music, parties and activities for the kids. I think you would get a lot of use out of the boat that way.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
There is a few places like that not far from where I live in West Michigan. One is more of a trailer park type place called Sandy Pines which is extremely busy. There is another right on the Grand River which would be even better for fishing and the opportunity to go out to Lake Michigan. I recommend you go North though because the scenery and clarity of the water can’t be beat the farther north you go.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Very cool, congrats on the memory making! I have long had a plan of getting a boat large enough to get out on the bigger waters around our state and do some of the same things you did, now I'm a little jealous, LOL

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Very nice, makes me long for summer now or at least spring time!

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just bought a used 105 36v Motorguide trolling motor. I’m kinda lost with the whole battery thing. I’d just like to get all your opinions on the right batteries for this boat. Keep in mind I only have a 60 hp motor so I’d like to go with smaller batteries to save on weight. I think this TM is more than enough power for an 18 ft boat so I can probably go with a smaller battery when I have a 3 deep bank to supply the juice. I was thinking the 24 groups (whatever that means) would be the right fit for me plus I’m on a budget. Tell me your thoughts please!

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey ! I've used group 24 batteries from wally world for my small trolling motor (40 lb thrust) and they worked fine. I could fish all weekend with that. As far as I know most batteries are made by the same company and just branded differently. I also have a group 27 battery from costco for my med sized (55 lb thrust) minn kota and that battery is nice but large. My new motor is 24v and I got some group 31's for that and they are massive.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I think 3 x gp 24 would be fine, I have a 24v and use 2 gp 27s. Onboard 3 bank charger and the batts to go with it is not budget friendly. :lol:

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Menards usually has a sale every spring on Exide Group 27 batteries. I think they go for $70 or so plus core charge. If you are on a serious budget you could call Dave's Batteries on Clyde Park in the Wyoming, MI area (If I remember correctly, I think you are somewhat close), not sure what they offer as far as warranty though. My buddy told me about them when he needed a cheap battery for a truck he was selling.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Chris! I’ll look into that. Yeah I live just south of Hudsonville so not to far from Wyoming.

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Chris! I’ll look into that. Yeah I live just south of Hudsonville so not to far from Wyoming.

Cool, that's what I was thinking you're location was. Hopefully they will have some decent deals if only to get you going for this next season. Three batteries is a pretty good hit. I will need two for mine this next season, I'm hoping our camper battery will be good enough to use as a starting battery for this next summer, LOL. I live in Cedar Springs, so most of my adventures are north of town. Looking forward to Hardy Dam Pond this next Memorial Day and hope to have the bugs worked out of my rig by then.

66Holiday924

Chief Petty Officer
I don't have much advice other than I've found the best price on my battery at the Orange Big Box Store and a Group 27 should give you longer run time than a 24. They have ratings on them for how much juice they use and how fast they use it. You don't want to figure using less than like 60% or it damages the battery. I would get strictly a deep cycle for that. Not even a dual function.

Status
Not open for further replies.