71' Offshore-V 18 - Prize Catch

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Wow that is some hard black ice, by Nov even.

Yeah SC used steel mandrel blinds and my boats had them scattered about under deck too. That convinced me drill out every last one and replace them with new AL mandrel blinds and they were all compromised with rust and loose. Most guys ignore that step and leave them but I always suggest removal and replacement of all factory blinds.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
You're daring. :)
I don't even like to walk on 12" ice.
Our lake as of Dec 9th was still open, this near Ely, MN.

The boat looks good though.

Dan

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
yes Waterman, replacing those steel mandrel blinds would have been a good idea. I've seen your work and it's always top notch, you set the bar pretty high for sure! I always appreciate your input. But in my case I think they'll hold up for a while. This hull is still in great shape and I inspected the rivets pretty closely.

Thanks Dan, we drilled a dozen holes all around the area before I dared venture out with the vehicle. 12" clear ice is plenty thick for a small truck like mine, but I was nervous at first, windows down and seat belt off.

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wish we had that kind of ice in Michigan! I still can?t go out yet. Looks like it won?t happen until January. The boat is coming along nicely. I had a lot of rusted mandrel in my boat as well.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Md! Got to make it outside even when -40 or I could go crazy. Sure wish I could keep my garage heated as well as my ice fishing tent. My neighbour just built a huge shop and asked me to do some electrical work for him. I might be able to find a spot in there for a few weekends

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello Knezzer,

I just picked up on your post, nice work thus far! I too am restoring a SS16 (74). I have not been able to work on my boat since Oct, too cold in the garage. I am waiting for spring to roll around so I can get back at it. In the meantime, I am researching as much as I can before I get back to work. I noticed you are in SK, I am in MB.

I look forward to seeing your progress.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks FIGMO! I checked out your thread and it looks like it is a sweet boat! I will definitely be interested in seeing how you make out. Good stuff man!

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
The one thing I like about your blog is the way you dealt with the rollers on your trailer. I have the exact same trailer, and I want to get rid of the rollers. Thanks to you I now have the answer as to how to solve that problem. I will be really interested to see how you deal with the damaged keel knee. My keel knee is also damaged from a transom that was allowed to deteriorate to the point that both my knee and splash well (SW) were damaged. I am thinking that I will either get the original knee welded, or get a new one fabricated. Mine is in much worse condition than than yours, based on the photos. As for the SW, I will see if it can be welded, or if I have to get a new one fabricated as well.

Anyway, I like what you are doing with your boat. Your have provided me with some really good ideas for my own boat. I am following with peaked interest as you are dealing with issues that I am about to deal with myself. The fact that you are right next door (SK) to me, makes it even better. BTW I lived in SK (Regina) for four years (military, with the RRR). I have military friends in Saskatoon.

Best of wishes on the coming Christmas season, and best of luck with your endeavours on your boat.

FIGMO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Okay I had to say this, you look a little crazy in your photo......

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Haha thanks! I don't selfie very well. Merry Christmas to you neibour!

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Watermann

Whoa those are some darn nice digs you got yourself into there.

So on the knee brace, you'll need to bolt those new angle pieces to the knee brace, I'm afraid JB won't be up to the task because of the shear forces at hand there. Those are some really nice brackets, perfect for the job.

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
View attachment y4mlU6JT7hn0jtMK4tfAUNlz2m3v13rNsRHwCt-UGDnaRV0nFVTdZuKPXso87q5Q8z_USdKdZ8KXeJAekvZAzmWR5zUN6cmMqG45View attachment y4mqPNP1i484SOddfHUEReDz8Pd8rWWARc26_6XMWVkqYLSkteH9ZEfbfoavXYY6lS2GyadmhKYviMxfbgfE1cO4KEz8YbQmneu_View attachment y4ms99HAdb7RXF93JnY6DilkSuiEdv0mXScuSBpWiiZE8OqBJbaxukRC0lAWj48MsGg_j7kjy_nvXteX3AaBBQqn7yq922kCWSUaView attachment y4mHSgHu8LfRPk4v7nNRrBazTYUJGH8VkB4eCEHQlF9miExgYl5S468eht85aR70YQyWAdMWOiiIs483PbWA9MozAmBUPzC_QQCc
Whoa those are some darn nice digs you got yourself into there.

So on the knee brace, you'll need to bolt those new angle pieces to the knee brace, I'm afraid JB won't be up to the task because of the shear forces at hand there. Those are some really nice brackets, perfect for the job.

I will be bolting those to together through the knee brace then as well, thanks WM

So I've cleaned the inside of the hull again today and laid the rigid foam down. Put the deck back in to mark out where the seats are going. I picked up large flange rivets and smaller rivets so I'm almost ready there. I'm going to use some plywood backing where the seats are going and where the seams of the deck join. I forgot to get the t-nuts today, got busy in the shop and had some family stuff to do. As you can see I also have cut my vinyl to fit. I went with the natural brown color... Is the "3M super 77" a good choice for gluing it down?

Watermann

The 77 might be alright but doesn't list vinyl the 80 says it's for vinyl and rubber which is some of the toughest stuff there is to bond. I'd hate to have it not stick down like you want it to.

Nice layout on the flotation, you should have plenty to keep her afloat. I'm impressed with your fit for the decking too, not an easy task at all :thumb:

knezzer

Petty Officer 1st Class
The 77 might be alright but doesn't list vinyl the 80 says it's for vinyl and rubber which is some of the toughest stuff there is to bond. I'd hate to have it not stick down like you want it to.

Nice layout on the flotation, you should have plenty to keep her afloat. I'm impressed with your fit for the decking too, not an easy task at all :thumb:

Thanks for the kind words ! I still have some rigid foam left for behind the side panels. I can't seem to find the 3m 80 on the shelf anywhere local. Might have to order online or find an alternative.

Watermann

Do a test piece of vinyl on some scrap ply with the 77 and see, I did with the 80 before using it. I allowed it to cure and then tested to see how easy it pulled apart.