The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
My old Chevy is all gassed up and ready for a road trip tomorrow morning. Dozer and I have struck a deal on his well traveled V5 and will be meeting up this weekend for the exchange at the US - SK border in Montana. Tomorrow I'll go to Great Falls and stay the night. My resto buddy Herf43 will be taking the road trip with me as the admiral has to work. Looking forward to meeting up with Glen in person and I'll snap some photos of the exchange of tin at the border. :)

Here is the link to Dozer's thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...761-1979-18-v5

trip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
I don't know Watermann, looks like a lot of work to put a 4.3 in there :brick::lol:

Watermann

I don't know Watermann, looks like a lot of work to put a 4.3 in there :brick::lol:

I might be good on the power, I'm coming home with a 140 HP Merc OB :) but if she was an I/O then you know what she would have for power. :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Safe travels

And hope the exchange goes great! Be sure to check the bilge for contraband SafeStrip, the Canadian secret sauce for getting OEM SC vinyl paint off.

I love the gas buddy app, but was that from their website?

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just can't resist little jabs about OB's lol, I can't stand them :D I should make myself get over it cause the next SC I've been eying is an OB boat, only 14'. I don't think an I/O would live well in it, or rather, the boat wouldn't live well.
Is that an SS you're bringing back ?

Watermann

Safe travels

And hope the exchange goes great! Be sure to check the bilge for contraband SafeStrip, the Canadian secret sauce for getting OEM SC vinyl paint off.

I love the gas buddy app, but was that from their website?

Thanks for the well wishes John, yeah they have a map and directions feature that I took the screen shot of.

Yes FC it's an SS.

V5home001.jpg

Last edited:

FrankenCub

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok, before I came here to iBoats I never knew they made aluminum hull bow riders. And the V5 thing threw me off too lol. Still learning all things SC and tin in general. Nice ;)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Oh my, the obsession called MBS. That stands for More Bloomin' Startcrafts. LOL

Rob and Glen - Have good trips

dozerII

Admiral
Looking forward to meeting you as well Rob. Gibbles will be scratching his head if he pops in and sees this thread:rolleyes:

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
It's amazing what you west coast guys consider a day trip. Travel safely.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
It's a long trip but worth every mile!! :madgrin:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Safe travels guys. Looking forward to the trip report! :joyous:

64osby

Admiral
For whatever reason, I have a picture in my head of a cold war spy exchange.

A desolate bridge with armed guards on both sides. The boat sits in the middle. A black attache case is slowly walked across the bridge.

Safe travels for both of you.:cool:

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Safe travels to all of you, looking forward to seeing this v5 restored. From your map looks like you'll be at the AB (Alberta) border, only 3 hours from here. Certainly a nice day for a road trip.

dozerII

Admiral
For whatever reason, I have a picture in my head of a cold war spy exchange.

A desolate bridge with armed guards on both sides. The boat sits in the middle. A black attache case is slowly walked across the bridge.

Safe travels for both of you.:cool:

Thanks Guys, I'm back home and Rob and Brett should be about half way, 64 I think what you pictured would have been easier. Three hours to get away from the border and not the Canadian side. I will let Rob tell the story or what he wants to reveal.:rolleyes:

Great meeting both of you.

Glen

Watermann

We made it home, started the day in Great Falls MT at 0530, a drive to the Canadian border arriving at just before 0800. After 3 hours of going back and forth with a US customs guy we were told that the Starcraft wasn't going to come into US that day because we didn't have a Coast Guard cap plate. Thanks to iboats member roscoe for saving the day for us with a perfect cap plate! :D

Without this I would have wasted 100's of dollars and drove almost 1200 miles for nothing but a handshake from Glen. Not sure how many km Glen had to go but it wasn't a short haul either, about half mine but still.

fetch

We were both dang excited about being able to make the deal after all.

y4mXA1iGHCYx0nqu3fZ1WOQMmHEYFvuFuHPp3vWYG1XX-YKN5tpF1zUCK1cLiVpRlE5eIw9vFO-TU6paj5eXacy7SrCNrUty3suyL1ovNv_9g9rC7V6brFojY-pgCFBYDe12Z9jZkr5RQfXyEpybjJcA3WRTfGnDwnIBLf2O6wAVwikdRyvg3Qnapq4HArAMyLe-70MdcvzL7YlAI7AHb6fKw

Now the well traveled V5 can add going over the continental divide and into a new time zone to it's history. :lol:

Oh yeah I rolled in at about 2300 hours, 14+ hours might be one of the longer days on the road for me. It was worth it though to meet Glen and take ownership of one of Starcraft's finest!

Last edited:

dozerII

Admiral
Glad you made it home safe and sound Rob, will be looking forward to following the build.