The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

uforty3

Cadet
Jeez you guys and all that talk about cold, it got down to 58 here last night and it was 80 again today but the wind started blowing before sunrise and hasn't stopped all day. I wanted to finish removing the carpet adhesive but chemical stripper and pressure washers don't mix real well with wind.

Trailer work...ugg... filled pitting with marine tex on the spindle hub seal surface and will sand smooth in a couple days. Wheeled off the loose rust from the leaf springs and rust reformed them. Will need some new nylon bushings for the springs eye and hook. The axle tube is galvanized, the first bright spot yet! Sanded, wheeled and primed the winch tower and bow stop so they're ready for paint. I did a similar repair to a huge trench on my SN trailer spindle and it's held up for 3 years now.

Only boat work today was I made the new bow cross support from 3/4"marine ply since I'm going to need it installed before I put the gunnels back on next week. She's just too dang floppy without them. Looking forward to some reconstruction. Next weekend just might be an early wake up for the ole resto buddy to do a marathon solid rivet day with a side of 5200 and beer afterwards. I think Glen punched out at least 30 or 40 solids for me to replace in the ribs and seams. Believe it or not my pressure washer has blown the heads off of some of the really bad rivets. :eek:

Kind of long winded without pics today but they would be boring so... sorry :sleeping:

OH YEA Start the day at 6am with an Egg, Sausage Mcmuffin with HAAAM then start slamming those rivets,, I'll be ready..

Candutch

Chief Petty Officer
Looking good Rob. At the speed you're going you'll pass me before summer starts.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
OH YEA Start the day at 6am with an Egg, Sausage Mcmuffin with HAAAM then start slamming those rivets,, I'll be ready..

Looking good Rob. At the speed you're going you'll pass me before summer starts.

Once summer is here my weekends will be spent on the water and progress will grind to a halt until next fall. :grumpy:

Every step taken is one step closer to the end of the trailer work..:lol:

This trailer is kicking my butt!

dozerII

Admiral
Trailer work sucks no matter how you look at it, I still haven't got the trailer done that is under In The Red:facepalm:

Watermann

Trailer work sucks no matter how you look at it, I still haven't got the trailer done that is under In The Red:facepalm:

Oh man, what are the chances that you get to it any time soon? :lol:

​Next time I want a wide low slung bunk trailer, I'll raise up off the bottom a ways and get a galvanized one.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That's a good one, Glen. I guess you don't look at the trailer so much when floating on the lake and hauling in fish. :D

dozerII

Admiral
Oh man, what are the chances that you get to it any time soon? :lol:

​Next time I want a wide low slug bunk trailer, I'll raise up off the bottom a ways and get a galvanized one.

That's a good one, Glen. I guess you don't look at the trailer so much when floating on the lake and hauling in fish. :D

The trailer was slated for this winter, but a rusty Rat Rod took up the hanger most of the winter.

Cloudrnnr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dang, Rob, sorry to hear there was more under the fenders than we could see. I'd like those wasp nests back, if you don't mind. My traps are so sad sitting empty...

Last edited:

Watermann

Dang, Rob, sorry to hear there was more under the fenders than we could see. I'd like those wasp nests back, if you don't mind. My traps are so sad sitting empty...

Yeah Jim we can blame it on the goof who used treated ply and carpet thinking that was a good idea. :rolleyes: Now I remember why I hate trailer work so much now but I'm going to beat that bugger one way or another! Having some new fender step brackets fabed up, they're toasted but everything else is just needing work.

Watermann

Got the gunnels on so I could turtle her, glad I bought 200 5/32 blinds, this SS has 2 piece gunnels. Turtled out in the lawn and she's now a bare naked lady. Yeah not too exciting to see another upside down tin boat but I did find something interesting to take a pic of. Going after the solid rivets this morning.

y4mCU95LhX8l5NMDOGQMHz_lUH905L4UD0VoMbMyc_Vtxi783vud53Gh_wok8R5uEF6onMwwopfYliekcOfLAiNxm0iTEE9M96MeGqvtI0890gHXFmGaoA4rZAbb5BCsK4VzxubdYKcX549gtytL2_KK6ZWhd6udn8Llopm6T7IW5EKfggnQjL6W9WPFT0Pf8UV4lR8RvrjY8gQaSJWonnSyA

So who at the factory would think rivets could be such a difficult thing to master? Good grief, really....

y4m1spCO7RmDQKbQnQZErhvDvu7LkFjv5XBrDUtYetH6fbVNtlMIfnuRCx0ARe16tCqWeS3IlJciAkhZK1eQIOuAVTk_Dq7Hk_p--hBV60ctPgs3Js4fFIpM7kySPeEhx21JZC6xIXS8qyqz0Xu0KFKXpAYUqIPz30Fqmz3RHOEZMpzNWFGSigRhOpBX2pW96-ToRKBFbylP1zz5WN3KqHaXw

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Man, that hull was riveted on Friday afternoon & the quality-control guy took the day off. :facepalm:

Another V5 attribute becomes apparent after a few weeks of sanding around faux lapstrakes & side rub-rail...a V5 hull would be a dream to polish. :eyebrows:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Did the rivet team think the two over-riveted were shoddy with the smiles?

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man, that hull was riveted on Friday afternoon & the quality-control guy took the day off. :facepalm:
My first thoughts were Monday morning, QC was on vacation..:lol:
Nice work Watermann.

Last edited:

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Looking really great Rob, looks like its ready for paint.

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Do the V5's have a shallower forefoot? The earlier hulls appear to be fuller in the bow, or that just a trick of camera angle? Nice progress there.

Ron

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Man, my money is still on a June splash. You are humming right along on this one!