The well traveled 1979 Starcraft 18' V5 SS

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Man your just flying on this one Rob,

Wishin' you kept her. Glen? LOL

Trailer work and paint stripping - The un-funnest parts of a re-do. :grumpy: You're zippin' through those, Rob. :joyous:

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What progress. I think you'll be done before me.

Looking good there.

budski

Lieutenant Commander
Looking good Rob you going to paint or leave her bare.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh man I'm already half way through this stage and pretty much sick of it. Glen did a bunch of the tear down too... :lol:

Yes I'll be painting her up alright but not the bottom, it's staying bare.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
I guess I never realized that the V5 sides don't sport the faux lapstrake. Lookin' good man!

Watermann

Yeah she's slick sided alright.

More trailer work... ugg spindles are pitted due to the water contaminated grease. More downer, hey I know...

y4mH-6YdixsBys7QlQza9dgquP8oreJBtY76NxrS6RSE_aGNNh4-HdB61befuq0tCIXOmCW2Bx33qmZPqNX2KOsF66wWTpP_sCqE5pNlHhNsuZHFBAUU7nFXRSwB_60vBq1nkkULf0CuQpCn4m1yHZQb8rECXzJAPrWkYkQaAMKimjvgM09Xm56kr-JpmrgEvTcYZsezraCNMJA6ys0Mtm8Ig

Time to move on to the boat... man I hate carpet glue, even the adhesive remover is struggling but I got some of it off.

y4mDzlGMNY2Qgci8gkHEGsfvWlb1TzwJeCMbk8DtIDl8lgBXP1ZSsbeXgj1r9Fy9cpTu3C_zlphP0UxdyK6vEsdfXeLKCgMcI6qYyD9wYY2JJqiLLNtLE6Cvn_VvaT6erpkeZWOtZVC_NsdxAH90q0i8LG7JtxU2n_xMYSx83bKQeO4O9lV7aVoCs7mfwpoBujoHXGWsos-N4lAnPmhRRYQoQ

Heck with it, time for some beer!

Last edited:

Watermann

Couldn't stand it, poured a few down my neck and stripped the port side of the paint...and worked on getting off half the glue off the starboard side.

It was over 80 here today... I'm baked! :tan:

y4m7Z7vXLPVuMXt8hrwUPrC6tHxEn6S2pEB1LiaQrW9380feQ_ONdMnkE34vGf5-TM656qOJri7WI2nFp6IAFYtKG9jsCf3NjjGskpejBK-Iv0rGItXED_xsbEcClQSF1fh6D7rfl90frdr3UAGV7yVELitbCpoRHisEmIu6BAOxNH0XFvhJYBq6G3Oi91yQC4bSZmL-svVGbePGUD0w_n9ag

Last edited:

Tnstratofam

Commander
Wow you, and Budski, and dozer make it look easy. Of course when you got skills what do you expect. :encouragement:

Bummer on the trailer trouble. Great job on the boat. She's gonna look like she's flying sittin still.:rockon:

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Rob - You're being too hard on the trailer. The only pitting on the spindle that matters is where the seal rides. The bearing seating areas look fine and I see one pit in the seal seat and the seal marks are behind it, Worst case is a Speedi-Sleeve for the seal.

Most of us hope our old spindles looked that good,

Tnstratofam

Commander
Oh yeah it's snowing in the mountains here and over in North Carolina. :smow:

80? indeed.:rolleyes:

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking like you are moving pretty good on this one. I sure do wish my hull would have been that nice under the paint!! I still say June splash, lol.

We got around 2 inches of snow last night here in MI...

Decker83

Commander
Your making great progress.. It was in the lower 70's here today..
Like GA said, that spindle looks good to me..

Watermann

Jeez you guys and all that talk about cold, it got down to 58 here last night and it was 80 again today but the wind started blowing before sunrise and hasn't stopped all day. I wanted to finish removing the carpet adhesive but chemical stripper and pressure washers don't mix real well with wind.

Trailer work...ugg... filled pitting with marine tex on the spindle hub seal surface and will sand smooth in a couple days. Wheeled off the loose rust from the leaf springs and rust reformed them. Will need some new nylon bushings for the springs eye and hook. The axle tube is galvanized, the first bright spot yet! Sanded, wheeled and primed the winch tower and bow stop so they're ready for paint. I did a similar repair to a huge trench on my SN trailer spindle and it's held up for 3 years now.

Only boat work today was I made the new bow cross support from 3/4"marine ply since I'm going to need it installed before I put the gunnels back on next week. She's just too dang floppy without them. Looking forward to some reconstruction. Next weekend just might be an early wake up for the ole resto buddy to do a marathon solid rivet day with a side of 5200 and beer afterwards. I think Glen punched out at least 30 or 40 solids for me to replace in the ribs and seams. Believe it or not my pressure washer has blown the heads off of some of the really bad rivets. :eek:

Kind of long winded without pics today but they would be boring so... sorry :sleeping:

GA_Boater

sleeping.png

That's what you been doin'. No work. LOL

Winds do make it tough to do much. Wish we could get back to the warm weather.

We keep trying to tell peeps these things are floppy like bunny ears when parts are taken off.

will w.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You're on that V5 like white on rice. That weather must be nice for paint and epoxies this time of year. Been snowing here in Michigan, been stoking then polebarn woodstove, but its just not consistent enough for drying paint or epoxy. Mind me asking what stripper you used to get that paint off?

Watermann

I was using the Kleanstrip "strongest: but it was struggling for some reason so I tried the Jasco premium that cost 8 bucks a gallon more. The Jasco starts to bubble the paint off in about 2 minutes and by 15 minutes the paints pretty much falling off. The pressure washer used starting at the bottom and moving slowly horizontally it even blows off most of the green alodine primer too. A second lighter application and using a 3M scrub pad takes down to clean AL.

Maybe it's because the can says "marine" on it... :lol:

GJBP00203_-_JB_Prem_PE_Rmvr_Gal.jpg

GA_Boater

I think it works because some guy from Michigan named the stuff. :rolleyes:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bummer Glen couldnt fill the bilge w the SafeStrip he and InMotion use.....

Great progress on the stripping and the trailer work