1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The height overall concerns me. If I remember right with out modification you're looking at around 8" from the top of a rib to the top of the deck supports. I would say that tank is around 20 gallons in size. You would need to take measurements to be sure but my guess is no it won't and if it did with some mods the filler for sure would have to be under the SW.
Thanks WM! I suspected as much. I'll pass on this one. :)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I started this storage prep work a month ago but finally got things done today.

There was one 70HP Mercury stored in my garage on a stand alongside my 50HP Mercury for my Kingfisher. I wanted more room in the shop and I'm also very near the point that I'll start working on the 50, so the 70 had to go.

The other 70 has been standing a lone vigil in my yard for a very, very long time. It too needed a better place to wait for the Chieftain project to get going.

The 70 and 50 sharing the same stand.
12.jpg

I didn't have a regular wood saw so I used my bow saw to cut a notch in this 2x4.
3.jpg

I've seen several restorations where folks have yanked these nails loose by pulling under the top cap with the claws of a hammer. Leaves dimples and ugly marks. I chose to use a chisel along the lip of the top cap which very gently coaxed the nail head up, where it could be easily removed. No marks and the lip can be easily bumped back down into place with a rubber mallet.
8.jpg

I got the 2x4 white pine support in place. It will provide temporary storage until it's transom time for the Chief.
9.jpg

10.jpg

1.jpg

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    570.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    683.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    645 KB · Views: 3

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Today the boy and I moved the 70HP Mercurys around. It took hours and both the boy and I are banged up and bruised. :violin:

We'll be sore tomorrow but very happy to have gotten it done! :D

Although my wife was not happy with either of us working out there in the heat and humidity. :tongue-new:

I got the mid-section from the 90HP Mercury donor with the tilt and trim loaded into the truck. Connected the Chief so that we could move it to a more open area in the yard and get more maneuvering room.
Click image for larger version  Name:	1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	200.1 KB ID:	10658341

The boy and I got the mid-section stored in the Chief cuddy area. It's fully covered now.
Click image for larger version  Name:	2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	235.6 KB ID:	10658344

Click image for larger version  Name:	6.jpg Views:	1 Size:	258.1 KB ID:	10658347

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh man it's been or seems like a year since I've seen a recent pic of a Chief here in the forums.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Today we got the cowlings installed on the twin 70s, covered the motors with tarps and moved the boat to a new parking place. Twice. :rolleyes:

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

I'm looking around for a Font which is pretty close to the original script.
9.jpg

11.jpg

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 4
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 2

Watermann

No sense in tempting fate and no neighborhood is free from nefarious characters nowadays.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
No sense in tempting fate and no neighborhood is free from nefarious characters nowadays.

Yeah, I was thinking about how easy it would be for someone to cut the fence from the back, pull an ATV up behind the boat, then just lift those motors off and whisk away into the night. So we moved the Chief.

Many folks around here don't lock their house doors at night and I know of several who keep their keys in their trucks. About 10 years ago there was a drug house raid about 3/4 mile up the road from me. The neighbors had figured out that something was up with all the comings and goings and tipped off the law which resulted in the raid. And the neighbor who raises wolf hybrids has had some serious civil issues. But that's about the only excitement around here.

I've lived in places other than this rural area, so I'm a bit more cautious. :rolleyes:

On a related topic, the birds have successfully "planted" a bunch of trees near our water features. I've done the research and they're Eastern Red Cedar, a native species here which makes a great screening and windbreak plant. They grow as high as 50+ feet and 30 feet in diameter. Growth rate is typically 1 - 2 feet per year, faster when they're young. People around here routinely use them for screening. I'll transplant enough of those to keep prying eyes off the goodies. Over time, of course. :lol:

While out running errands today, I swung past the "vacant" house. Turns out that there are folks living there but they've just seriously neglected the property. It's a rental and turnover has been frequent. So much for me paying attention. :facepalm:

My garage is visible from the road where that house is located, so I'll transplant the trees to fill the gaps.

This little tree is almost 4' tall and will be the first to be moved. It was about a foot tall when my wife moved it to this spot some 15 months ago. There are several others nearly that size which will be candidates as well.

1.jpg

Many red cedars along this road, mixed in with slash pines and a few others. The pyramid shaped trees are the cedars.
2.jpg

The cedars really are effective for screening.
3.jpg

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Oh yeah, I found a Font to match the script on the Chief. :joyous:

MS Word 2007: Vladimir Script

chief font.jpg

Attachments

• chief font.jpg
    chief font.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1

Watermann

That font is close, the C leg is used in the h in the original script and the loop at the top isn't closed.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
That font is close, the C leg is used in the h in the original script and the loop at the top isn't closed.
Yup. I can easily edit it to match up. Someday. You know, when I actually get started on the resto-mod. :rolleyes: :lol:

Today I'm messing with KF lettering and reevaluating things a bit.

Slo_n_steady

Recruit
The Chief is going to be sweet, I have recently completed phase 1 of a '64 Holiday restomod. I have a 115 Johnson on it, but I would love twins...(wouldn't we all?). What is the HP rating of your hull?

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
The Chief is going to be sweet, I have recently completed phase 1 of a '64 Holiday restomod. I have a 115 Johnson on it, but I would love twins...(wouldn't we all?). What is the HP rating of your hull?
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to getting started on the Chief. While out on the Gulf today I was talking with my host about what it's going to be like. Awesome is what he said! I totally agree. :nod: :D

The Chief hull is rated to 150HP in "then year" power rating. So 140HP in the 80s like the twins would be pretty close to the same. :joyous:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral

I have a Mirrocraft sitting outside in the front yard right now, with twin 35 Evinrudes on it that I am actually trying to figure out what to do with, my wife says it needs to go, but with twins on it, it is very intriguing! LOL

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I have a Mirrocraft sitting outside in the front yard right now, with twin 35 Evinrudes on it that I am actually trying to figure out what to do with, my wife says it needs to go, but with twins on it, it is very intriguing! LOL
Okay, now we need pix! :D

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Guys, I'm gonna try.

I have several project options to choose from. Better, faster, cheaper (pick 2.) :rolleyes:

With my health conditions and other issues, I can't guarantee that it'll actually get done.

But I'm gonna try.

Yesterday we got started.
1.jpg

Installed a new trailer jack.
2.jpg

And got it hooked up to the new trucklet.
3.jpg

Last edited: