1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Great find on the Merc, that is one motor you want to be very careful you don't overheat. OleBlue the 16SS we bought to flip had one that the impeller was shot in and the P/O overheated it pretty bad. We fired it up to see if it ran and it actually ran well so we put a water pump kit in it then fired it up again:eek: it was like a lawn sprinkler shooting water out around the plugs where the head was cracked. On those models the heat is cast with the block so it was crapage.:grumpy:
Yup, I've done a bunch of reading about those 70HP Mercury 3-cylinders and learned about the overheating potential. But I also read about solutions and will be implementing them prior to running the beasties on the water.

Looks like a great runner! I am a bit jealous on the price!
I got very lucky on this deal. The seller not only offered the motor at that very good price of $600, he held the motor for me while we drove the 200 miles up to his place. And that in spite of having other folks who contacted him while I was en route. Great guy!

THEN!! He threw in the 6 gallon fuel can, a big honkin' battery, the stand and 4 Harbor Freight moving dollies in the deal! Woo hoo!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Just gotta say.... that is one sexy OBS!
Agreed! In the video at the 31 second mark, the video shakes because I was doing the happy dance. :laugh:

Now I'll be keeping my eye out for a twin for this one. ;)

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
Happy hunting for the twin! Now that the choice is made you will be able to search much more efficiently..

Ron

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Happy hunting for the twin! Now that the choice is made you will be able to search much more efficiently..

Ron
Oh, I made the engine choice months ago. The power to weight ratio is the clincher for me.

Been searching for engines ever since getting the boat but had to pass on several opportunities because I was still waiting to get the Chieftain's title issue resolved. But that's all done now.

This motor deal was too sweet to ignore and I moved on it as quickly as I could. Nailed it, too! :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Oh, I made the engine choice months ago. The power to weight ratio is the clincher for me.

Been searching for engines ever since getting the boat but had to pass on several opportunities because I was still waiting to get the Chieftain's title issue resolved. But that's all done now.

This motor deal was too sweet to ignore and I moved on it as quickly as I could. Nailed it, too! :D

Some people are just slackers....

So, any update? Find another motor?

I'm running south to Columbus GA in a few weeks, let me know if you find something down that way.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Some people are just slackers....

So, any update? Find another motor?

I'm running south to Columbus GA in a few weeks, let me know if you find something down that way.
Yeah, I do feel like a real slacker compared to the quick progress that Watermann is making on his new project. Whew! The boy is fast! :eek:

No updates on the Chief or Kingfisher projects. Haven't done a thing on either one lately. Boat stuff is on the back burner right now.

Home projects have taken priority. Frustrating for me because much of the time is just sitting and waiting for input from other folks. Sigh. :(

I monitor craigslist many times a day and have been keeping my eyes open for another 70HP Merc. Spotted this one but it's in Cleveland. Too far. Otherwise I'd be rolling to pick it up. ;) :D

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/bpo/5526866069.html

On the plus side, my health is slowly but surely improving and I'm off one major med and have greatly reduced the dosage on another. Scheduled to be off that one by mid-June as I continue the taper down.

Thanks for the assist offer! I'll let ya know if I find a screaming good deal somewhere. :)

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Keep an eye on that Cleveland one, I may be driving to Indy at first of June. Never know.

I am 95% sure going to MO in a couple weeks, including an over weekend in Springfield MO. My route will be thru Little Rock, Ft Smith, Branson, Springfield, Jefferson City, St Louis, then back home thru Southern IL.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
well, I was planning on flying to Raleigh at the end of may, but if needed....

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well, I contacted the Cleveland seller. That motor doesn't have power trim & tilt so I have to pass. Bummer, because I have a buddy who lives in PA and wants to take a trip over to Cleveland to visit some family (if it ever stops snowing!). :lol: He was willing to swing by and pick up the motor for me. Then I could pick it up from him this summer when we're planning on going up anyway. Alternatively, he could come down here for a visit sooner and bring it along.

I'd contacted the Charlotte seller awhile back and that motor doesn't have PTT either, so not applicable for me.

I'll be keeping my eyes open. Thanks for all the help! :joyous:

MARUSS

Seaman
Any progress on the Chieftain? I just got started on a 75 18' OB.
Good luck on that motor.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Headed to Columbus ga this week so expand your search let me know if you find something ,

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Any progress on the Chieftain? I just got started on a 75 18' OB.
Good luck on that motor.
Nope, no progress to report. All boat work has been put on hold for both of my projects while I concentrate on getting a "little" yard work done. Check my "Some good stuff happening" thread for more info. I'm actually preparing to post some pix and whatnot shortly.

I'm also dealing with replacing my wife's car.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I learned something last night while moving the Chieftain around the yard (see this thread).

The trailer jack apparently has a broken tooth and I'll need to replace the thing. I hooked it up to the truck okay but when it was time to remove it, the jack wouldn't raise the trailer. It just made clicking noises when the handle was cranked.

Since there is no motor on the back of the boat, the tongue weight was quite heavy. Easily over 150 lbs. if not more. Even with my family helping, we couldn't lift the trailer off the truck hitch.

So I called my strong young buddy to come to our rescue. And he simply lifted the trailer off the hitch with his left hand while cranking the jack down with his right! The boy is strong! :eek:

Any recommendations on which replacement jack I should buy?