BOOM!!

oldhaven

Chief Petty Officer
So the CryptoChief has finally been captured on camera.....

This looks like it will be a good year for little Chiefs. You have some really interesting plans for it. Andy (CW) gave me some good advice recently. He said to do what is necessary to get it on the water and then work on the niceties after it is functional. This makes sense or me and might prevent the burnout that seems to happen when a project runs into long months, then years in pursuit of getting everything perfect before the boat is used.

We have been waiting for the big reveal and hoping things turned out well and I for one am happy you and your family now have your dream Chief.

Ron

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Got out there and took a few more pix this afternoon. Found a couple of surprises in the process of clearing stuff out.

Sorry for the blurry pix. I didn't realize at the time that there was dirt on the lens.

The cabin area is actually in pretty good shape. The cushions are custom fit and the vinyl is in pretty good condition and will serve as is for now.

update1.jpg

update2.jpg

One of the surprises - an old, dead hornet's nest. The boy didn't like it at all! :lol:
update3.jpg

update4a.jpg

Another surprise - bow filled with water. Guess I need to raise the front just a bit more. At least it isn't leaking! :laugh:
update5.jpg

update6.jpg

Some nice goodies discovered in the port locker.
update7.jpg

And a couple more in the starboard locker.
update8.jpg

Custom duct tape padding on the windshield. :lol:
update9.jpg

Attachments

• update1.jpg
    update1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 4
  • update6.jpg
    update6.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3

jbcurt00

Staff member
Slit open and padding the top edges of the windshield to protect a boat cover is my only suggested use for pool noodles on a boat, beyond the manufacturers suggested use.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Slit open and padding the top edges of the windshield to protect a boat cover is my only suggested use for pool noodles on a boat, beyond the manufacturers suggested use.
That certainly would have worked. Unfortunately, none were to be found in north Georgia in mid-November! :lol:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I thought it might be getting a tarp cover since you arent done w the Kingfisher Phase 1B to keep rain out ;)

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Gonna be awhile. Am currently thinking of the best way to start the resto thread.

"King fishers grandpappy's revival"
"The not so secret backyard 3 month denial"
"Wait and see the twins"

Just a few suggestions thrown around :boink:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I thought it might be getting a tarp cover since you arent done w the Kingfisher Phase 1B to keep rain out ;)
Yeahhh... there's another side project that I'm working on (as in getting my wife to agree) so that I can move the boats around the yard and get things arranged and protected. My health prevented me from working on that for the last couple of months. :crutch: :sick:

But I do plan to get the Chief under cover. ;)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
"King fishers grandpappy's revival"
"The not so secret backyard 3 month denial"
"Wait and see the twins"

Just a few suggestions thrown around :boink:
Oh, for a title I'm going to use "1976 Starcraft Chieftain 18' OB - restomod" so that future folks can find the boat and thread easily. Am just figuring out which pix to use and whatnot.

Already started a Chieftain Project Plan but have also created a Master Boat Projects Plan which will intermingle the Kingfisher, Chieftain and other projects so that work, funding and time are all used efficiently.

Good suggestions for subtitles though! :D

jbcurt00

Staff member
Your sig pix of the Chieftain is going to have to be titled day 87 though :becky:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Twin 60s on a boat similar in size to my Chief. Interesting.

Those older motors were powerhead rated. My 1982-83 Mercury's may be rated at the prop and if so, would put out closer to 150HP in the older powerhead ratings, right?

Joe, do you happen to remember what MPH that Jupiter achieved?

Sure don't im the kid in the pic so a bit youg to be worried about mph. I asked dad and all he remembers is fast, no speedometer. Alot slower after the mods.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Oh and on the length on the Mariner in the pic it was 21 foot. The jupiter in the otherthread was 16 i think.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Sure don't im the kid in the pic so a bit youg to be worried about mph. I asked dad and all he remembers is fast, no speedometer. Alot slower after the mods.
Fast is good. :D

Oh and on the length on the Mariner in the pic it was 21 foot. The jupiter in the otherthread was 16 i think.
Ah, since my Chief is 18' it should scoot along a little more quickly.

Thanks for the info! :thumb:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Wow, I started this thread 2 years ago today! Time sure is flying by. And I still haven't started this project yet! :rolleyes:

Been a tough couple of years for me health-wise but I promise that once I get started on this one that I won't rush through it like I'm doing with the Kingfisher. I'll be sure to take my time! :rofl:

The poor Chief. I took a few pix the other day. It really needs attention. Soon it will have some though! :D

1.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    496.6 KB · Views: 3

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'll be looking forward to some Chief work. I don't know where all the Chief restos have gone, guys start all gung ho and then disappear just as quick.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'll be looking forward to some Chief work. I don't know where all the Chief restos have gone, guys start all gung ho and then disappear just as quick.
Me too, buddy! I'm really looking forward to digging into this one.

Yeah, I wonder what does happen with the disapppearing Chiefs. :noidea:

fishrdan

Admiral
Nice score BWR!

QUOTE=BWR1953;n10116915]One of the surprises - an old, dead hornet's nest. The boy didn't like it at all! :lol:

[/QUOTE]

That's an iddy bitty nest... When I rebuilt my boat, there was a 2'x3' wasp nest under a deck panel :eek: