1979 18' Starcraft SuperSport Restoration

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Looks awesome man! Thanks for taking us along the journey!

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just stopping in to say I have not fallen off the face of the earth. Got married and moved in with my new wife this summer. Things have been busy! Took the boat out a few times but it's still not "done" yet. I have to install the rear seats, make the bow cushions, and install the bimimi. But with the threat of snow on Friday I'll have to call it a year and finish it in the spring. Looking forward to catching up on the other restos!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Congratulations on your wedding, glad you got to have some time on the water with your new ride and bride.

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Winter storage...Boat is too long for my garage. Thought about having it shrink wrapped but the $230 price tag really turned me off. Did some research and decided to go with a very steep tarp (we get a lot of snow).

Dj8wIKxl.jpg

oHF0Weyl.jpg

I have $50 in the heavy duty tarp, $20 in bungees and $20 in lumber. Here's hoping that it lasts the winter...

nrf414

Chief Petty Officer
Congrats on the wife and boat is coming a long nicely. I've been away from iboats too long!

Pusher

Lieutenant
Nice angle on the tarp. I have something very similar on my boat. I ran threaded rod through the main beam and stuck tennis balls on them to give a soft edge for the tarp. Even those have worn through the tarp in the past, but it helped some.you might wabt to round the edges of your front and rear main support for the tarp or stick some styrofoam up there.

I for one, know how much it sucks digging your boat out and retarping in January :-(

A late congrats on the wedding!!!

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Nice angle on the tarp. I have something very similar on my boat. I ran threaded rod through the main beam and stuck tennis balls on them to give a soft edge for the tarp. Even those have worn through the tarp in the past, but it helped some.you might wabt to round the edges of your front and rear main support for the tarp or stick some styrofoam up there.

I for one, know how much it sucks digging your boat out and retarping in January :-(

A late congrats on the wedding!!!
You can't tell based on the pics but I stuffed dish towels over the ends of the beam to soften the edge. I also ran a 3/8" roundover bit on the router all the way around the top 2x4. Hopefully it holds up. Digging the boat out in January does not sound like fun!

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
MOD Edit: please remember the iboats forum isnt a sales/swap site, including giveaways.

Offer removed

Last edited by a moderator:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Nice to have the bulk of winter behind us now, I can't wait to see all the boat work in the threads once the days get warm.

Decker83

Commander
The bow cushions look good..
Yeah the SS forum has been slow on the rehabs..

MD28

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am very impressed with your work on the seat covers!

HND

Recruit
Liking the bow cushions. What foam did you use? I'm considering opting for reticulated foam cushions

mbroughton02

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got working on the outboard this weekend. It's a 1981 Evinrude 90. I noticed a big mess of oily residue in the...pan?...under the powerhead. A little research led me to believe it is likely from the gasket that seals the powerhead to the exhaust housing. So I decided to pull the powerhead today.

Redneck engine hoist from things found in my basement. Not OSHA approved. Worked great:

3zZ68rpl.jpg

I'm glad I pulled it. That gasket was definitely in rough shape:

sRPs3MJl.jpg

Cleaned up the mating surface. You can see how much mess it was making:
Si2Bktnl.jpg

Pulling the powerhead wasn't as bad as I was expecting, after everything I've read. The bolts came off pretty easy. I've heard that saltwater can make this a miserable experience, but I guess this motor hasn't seen any of that in its 37 years.

Liking the bow cushions. What foam did you use? I'm considering opting for reticulated foam cushions

Thanks. I went with high density upholstery foam from amazon (I think I'm allowed to say that because iboats doesn't sell foam?). $40 for a 24" x 72" x 3" sheet. Best price I could find anywhere.