Starcraft Garage B&S. (boat and other stuff to talk about)

dozerII

Admiral
We have such a great family here on Iboats in the Starcraft Forum, so many guys with varied interests and knowledge I thought it would be great to start this thread to talk about the other things we like to do. Maybe we can help each other in other ways than boats. If the Mods don't agree just delete this thread.

I joined a couple of RatRod sites to get input on my build and to tell you the truth those guys suck, don't know if any of you are interested but I value all your opinions.

I started on this project last Saturday and have the dream goal to do this build for under $3000. I'm into it for $700. as it sits now.

What kind of project are you working on that we might be interested in?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Looks like a great start on your rod!

Man I wish I had a shop like yours Glen, then I would have me an ongoing project car to work on. I enjoy watching the TV show in Vegas with all the rat rods and it's fun to think about having one. I saw an episode of flipping ships where they made a rat rod boat that was super cool. It would be neat to tow a rat rod boat behind a rat rod. That little crestliner in the CL thread, imagine it all painted funky in a rust color sporting a pair old 25 HPs.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't have a project going, wish I did.

Gonna be cool, Glen. No paint needed! Putting put a bed on her?

laurentide

Lieutenant Commander
Makes me wish I had a shop and some welding skills. I've always thought that a good side business here in the salt belt would be flipping trucks with rusted rockers and cab corners after welding in new steel.

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
looks bad a$$ glen!! (assuming that the trailer tires are temporary :lol:)

One cool feature that I saw was a long-pole shifter with an 8-ball setup at chin-level....prolly a good way to lose some teeth however the blood would only add to the patina! :madgrin:

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
that's an aggressive budget!!!!!!!!!!!! but it might be achievable, because you have equipment to do all the work yourself...

I need a piece of sheet aluminum to be bent up to make a 1/4 " cup with lips bent outward to make welding easy.....and you really need a brake to do it right...

ill probably end up paying $100-$200 or more to get this piece bent... maybe 23" wide x 8" high...out of 3/32"- 1/8" thick stock.

good luck on the rat......you going to chop it????

another thing...the paint for my boat cost me about $700 so far!!!( I used automotive paint)

what you going to use??

bob

64osby

Admiral
Glen, know what you mean about some other sites. If you are not a master builder or doing something crazy they tend to scoff.

One of my projects this summer was to get a running budget friendly daily driver for the kids.

While picking up a bed frame we found a 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport that the owner was going to trade in on a new Toyota. It had been wrecked up front but otherwise looked clean. We ended up negotiating a deal we both could live with over the next 4 weeks.

Here was the front when purchased. Fender was bent in and every thing up front was bent, broken or cracked.
IMAG11481.jpg

The rest was pretty good and rust free. This came from Oregon and hadn't been subject to a lifetime of winter salt.
IMAG11511.jpg

Stripped off all the junk and straightened out the cross member and the front of the unibody channels.
IMAG11531.jpg

Found a great deal on CL for all the parts needed plus a muffler. Was able to salvage the fender. Then put it all back together.
IMAG11651.jpg

Cleaned it up inside, painted the rims, changed all the fluids and greased it. Ended up with this.
IMAG11821.jpg

Have since changed out the muffler and installed new rear speakers. Have a few other small things to update.

Total cost including taxes title and plates is $1,050. It is a a great runner and should work well for the kids.

Last edited:

MNhunter1

Ensign
Nice work Glen! Would love me a rat rod some day...maybe a new project when my boys are a bit older.

My current project is making more room for future projects...anticipate a mid-December move in date...

1040sq/ft of heated hanger with attic trusses above :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral
Looks like a great start on your rod!

Man I wish I had a shop like yours Glen, then I would have me an ongoing project car to work on. I enjoy watching the TV show in Vegas with all the rat rods and it's fun to think about having one. I saw an episode of flipping ships where they made a rat rod boat that was super cool. It would be neat to tow a rat rod boat behind a rat rod. That little crestliner in the CL thread, imagine it all painted funky in a rust color sporting a pair old 25 HPs.

Thanks Rob, I don't know what I would do without my shop, took a lot of years to finally get it. A Rat Rod boat to pull behind it:rolleyes: I'll just use it to haul all the resto projects home, there pretty Ratty

I'm working on a 1979 Starcraft boat........

HA HA HA!!!

Good one DJ

I don't have a project going, wish I did.

Gonna be cool, Glen. No paint needed! Putting put a bed on her?

Thanks GAB, yup, but the bed is the part I'm having trouble tracking down, seems every time I find one, the owners can't be reached or they have a plan to use it for something.:blue:

Makes me wish I had a shop and some welding skills. I've always thought that a good side business here in the salt belt would be flipping trucks with rusted rockers and cab corners after welding in new steel.

I'v tried the vehicle flip thing, but just plain hate body work!!

looks bad ***** glen!! (assuming that the trailer tires are temporary :lol:)

One cool feature that I saw was a long-pole shifter with an 8-ball setup at chin-level....prolly a good way to lose some teeth however the blood would only add to the patina! :madgrin:

You are correct the trailer tires are just for scale, mind you I do have lots of them:facepalm: yup and there is going to be a long pole shifter almost to the roof, not sure what will be on top yet, maybe a Jetsons stern light

dozerII

Admiral
that's an aggressive budget!!!!!!!!!!!! but it might be achievable, because you have equipment to do all the work yourself...

I need a piece of sheet aluminum to be bent up to make a 1/4 " cup with lips bent outward to make welding easy.....and you really need a brake to do it right...

ill probably end up paying $100-$200 or more to get this piece bent... maybe 23" wide x 8" high...out of 3/32"- 1/8" thick stock.

good luck on the rat......you going to chop it????

another thing...the paint for my boat cost me about $700 so far!!!( I used automotive paint)

what you going to use??

bob

I'm hoping the budget is attainable, we will see, yes I'm going to chop it between 2 and 4 inches, another reason I'm doing a Rat Rod is the price of Automotive paint. I'm waiting fo Princess auto to put there top line metal brake back on sale for $179. it will pay for itself pretty quick at those rates.

Glen, know what you mean about some other sites. If you are not a master builder or doing something crazy they tend to scoff.

One of my projects this summer was to get a running budget friendly daily driver for the kids.

While picking up a bed frame we found a 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport that the owner was going to trade in on a new Toyota. It had been wrecked up front but otherwise looked clean. We ended up negotiating a deal we both could live with over the next 4 weeks.

Have since changed out the muffler and installed new rear speakers. Have a few other small things to update.

Total cost including taxes title and plates is $1,050. It is a a great runner and should work well for the kids.

Great job on the Jeep 64, that's a pretty good total for what you got and how it turned out.

Nice work Glen! Would love me a rat rod some day...maybe a new project when my boys are a bit older.

My current project is making more room for future projects...anticipate a mid-December move in date...

1040sq/ft of heated hanger with attic trusses above :thumb:

Love the design MN, but attached houses are over rated cuz the Admiral just has to open the door and yell for you, if they have to walk across the yard they find other ways to get things done:rolleyes:, I know it all catches up in the end either way.:lol:

dozerII

Admiral
That's kinda what I wanted to start in this thread was a place to talk about what everyone has going on.:couch2::thumb:

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Only a Starcraft boat guy would put boat trailer tires on his rat rod!!!

All right, here might be my two favorite non boat projects...

Swimming Pool

So we really wanted a pool for the hot/humid summer here in Michigan. My life supervisor said she would only have an in ground pool in our back yard. I didn't have $30,000 laying around. So here's what I did:

15'x30' pool off craigslist for a couple hundred bucks
New liner and new pump/filter few hundred bucks
Bobcat for a day $150
Pool slide and ladder off clist for $150
Bleacher boards from a high school gym being renovated to build the huge 30'x40' deck, free
15,000 gallons of water, free (I'm on a well)
A million man hours of very hard labor, free

Here's what I built, we love it!

Gigantic Ice Rink

Winters are long up here and hockey is a bunch of fun. So here's what I did:

Giant 20'x100' piece of plastic, I think a hundred bux
Million gallons of water, free
Few hours of easy labor, free

dozerII

Admiral
Only a Starcraft boat guy would put boat trailer tires on his rat rod!!!

All right, here might be my two favorite non boat projects...

Swimming Pool

So we really wanted a pool for the hot/humid summer here in Michigan. My life supervisor said she would only have an in ground pool in our back yard. I didn't have $30,000 laying around. So here's what I did:

15'x30' pool off craigslist for a couple hundred bucks
New liner and new pump/filter few hundred bucks
Bobcat for a day $150
Pool slide and ladder off clist for $150
Bleacher boards from a high school gym being renovated to build the huge 30'x40' deck, free
15,000 gallons of water, free (I'm on a well)
A million man hours of very hard labor, free

Gigantic Ice Rink

Winters are long up here and hockey is a bunch of fun. So here's what I did:

Giant 20'x100' piece of plastic, I think a hundred bux
Million gallons of water, free
Few hours of easy labor, free

That's awesome Jason, great projects that build family memories forever.:first:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Glen, Can't wait to see it when you're finished!

Great to see you still hangin' around Jas! Wicked slide!!

MN, awesome hanger design bud! Are you getting any bites on our current property?

We finally moved into our new place 11 days ago! ...the hanger has been the holding area for unemptied boxes..mostly what's left are my tools :cool: My daughter's room had to be painted before she would step-foot into it :lol: Now that the rollers&brushes are put away, I'm roughing out my work area & storage. The garage has high ceilings so I'll be adding over 500 cf of loft storage along the ceiling perimeters and ~ 450 sf of storage along the walls (coming from a 1-car garage...I've learned to get pretty creative on how to stuff things away!). Once that's done, we'll be bringing the SS home! :thumb:

dozerII

Admiral
Glen, Can't wait to see it when you're finished!

Great to see you still hangin' around Jas! Wicked slide!!

MN, awesome hanger design bud! Are you getting any bites on our current property?

We finally moved into our new place 11 days ago! ...the hanger has been the holding area for unemptied boxes..mostly what's left are my tools :cool: My daughter's room had to be painted before she would step-foot into it :lol: Now that the rollers&brushes are put away, I'm roughing out my work area & storage. The garage has high ceilings so I'll be adding over 500 cf of loft storage along the ceiling perimeters and ~ 450 sf of storage along the walls (coming from a 1-car garage...I've learned to get pretty creative on how to stuff things away!). Once that's done, we'll be bringing the SS home! :thumb:

Thanks CC, glad to hear you are getting settled in the new place, one you are sorted out we need pictures of the new hanger;)

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
oh yeah new hanger and some pics of forward progress on that SS :D

Vtstar

Seaman Apprentice
Full disclosure here..... I did dabble in some fiberglass work last fall (guess we all have skeletons in the closet).

I have not determined if it floats though....

Last edited:

64osby

Admiral
^^^ Looks like it works great on hard water. What are you using it for?