1984 Sportcraft 222 Walkaround - Bilge Question

mastersp

Recruit
I currently keep this boat in dry rack storage - so the Garboard plug is removed after each use and any water can drain out. I have a bilge pump directly under the engine which works fine but am wondering about the source of any water which ends up in the compartment that the garboard plug drains. For instance, does water from the anchor locker at the bow drain to the bilge or does it drain all the way down to the garboard plug?

I am thinking of keeping the boat in a slip next season and am concerned that rainwater could get down there below the level of the bilge pump.

Has anybody with a similar model Sportcraft run into this issue? Do you know where water drains from into the garboard plug area. Any advice?

Thanks

G-Daddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Sportcraft 222 Walkaround - Bilge Question

Can't help with a 222, but on my 252 the entire bilge from anchor locker to transom all drain into the lowest part of the boat which is where the garboard plug is located. That recess only hold a small amount of water relative to the entire bilge. The floats turn on my bilge pumps - I have two - when necessary and when they come on I look for reasons why there is that much water in the bilge. Most rainwater should be collected by drain channels and be evacuated by overboard drains. But some rainwater could certainly make its way into the bilge and if leaving the boat slipped, I would make sure there is a way to keep the batteries charged so the bilge pumps will work.

drailey

Recruit
Re: 1984 Sportcraft 222 Walkaround - Bilge Question

I currently keep this boat in dry rack storage - so the Garboard plug is removed after each use and any water can drain out. I have a bilge pump directly under the engine which works fine but am wondering about the source of any water which ends up in the compartment that the garboard plug drains. For instance, does water from the anchor locker at the bow drain to the bilge or does it drain all the way down to the garboard plug?

I am thinking of keeping the boat in a slip next season and am concerned that rainwater could get down there below the level of the bilge pump.

Has anybody with a similar model Sportcraft run into this issue? Do you know where water drains from into the garboard plug area. Any advice?

Thanks

The anchor locker should have a thru hull drain on the starboard bow.